superbowl 43
Posted by Ryan (+483) 13 years ago
GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 13 years ago
Agreed!
Posted by Scott (+261) 13 years ago
Go Cards!!!!!!
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+404) 13 years ago
Not a football fan, but thought you might appreciate this.

Last year friend decided to throw a Super Bowl party. Her 4 year old daughter was extremely excited. They baked cookies, popped corn, shopped and cleaned for days. Mom had told daughter she could not have the caramel apples until the party started. Finally the little girl asked when the party would start and Mom said it had started already. The little girl said, "Somebody better tell Dad. He is missing the party because he is watching a stupid football game."
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 13 years ago
Go Broncos!!
Posted by TALBOT (+257) 13 years ago
If I was a betting man.....Let's see, the line in Las Vegas is Steelers -6 1/2. So, I will have to go with Arizona +6 1/2. I know, I know everybody and their brother is picking the Steelers big time. But these are the same guys that picked Atlanta, Carolina and Philadelphia and didn't give the Cards an ice cubes chance in hell to win.
GO UNDERDOGS!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 13 years ago
I think Ricardo wanted to know what my SB plays were - here ya go!

STRAIGHT BET: Steelers -6.5
6 POINT TEASER: Steelers -.5 AND Under 52.5
(Both need to happen)

Chump Prop Bets
Coin Toss - Tails Hey - 50/50 chance here!
Gary Russell - OVER 3 rushing yards (+110) I've likely got the wrong side here, but it will be fun to root for Gary to get the ball on his rare appearances.

All are small investments as I am not at all confident in the game's outcome.

Hope it's a great game!
My X factor: Willie Parker

He's gotten barely any mention in the media even though he had a good game against the Ravens.
supporter
Cards Win 27-24
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 13 years ago
Maybe it's because Willie Parker was all anyone talked about before the Ravens game.

I honestly don't think he was the gamebreaker he was made out to be in that game. Then again Arizona's D isn't the Ravens.
The sky is blue.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 13 years ago
Arizona is off to a rough start. They're going to need to step up soon - lost some ground to Steelers' fast yards.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the economy cuts at the ad agencies is starting to show? Some real stinker commercials.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 13 years ago
OH, MAN!

Arizona was about to take the lead just before half, and then DOH!!! 100-yard Pick-6 for the Steelers as time expires...I wonder how the 'Cards will respond...they get the ball to start the 2nd half.

PS Hey Mowry...yeah, the commercials aren't what they used to be...my employer, FedEx, decided to not even advertise on the SB this year due to the economy.

[This message has been edited by Shu (edited 2/1/2009).]
Little Stevie could stand to lose a couple.
Posted by Ryan (+483) 13 years ago
steelers rocked the cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
supporter
I don't think the Steelers "rocked" anybody. Escaped is the word you are looking for.

BRING ON NASCAR!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Bob L lost the coin toss.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/1/2009).]
supporter
Fabulous game!

Bob N:

I agree. Little Stevie has morphed into Big Stevie!
supporter
Big question... why in the world did that last fumble not get a booth review?

All the marbles on the line, 5 seconds left, a call that could've gone either way...

If you're not going to use the booth review then, what's the point?
supporter
I agree Rick. I don't understand that non-call at all.
There were a couple of "non-calls". Why didn't James Harrison get kicked out of the game for giving that Arizona lineman a beat down? He got called for unsportsmanlike conduct but give me a break.
Posted by mule train (+1049) 13 years ago
best superbowl since TN came up short
I also don't see why the Cards had to waste a challenge on the first "fumble" by Warner. His arm was obviously moving forward but luckily, the booth got it right. That final "fumble" seemed like a more reviewable play than the first. That's the breaks, I guess.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1590) 13 years ago
Rick, isn't there a no review rule in the last three minutes. I am not sure, just wondering.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 13 years ago
The commentators said there was a review of the last Cardinal play and that replay determined Warners' arm was not going forward when the ball was knocked-out...but it seemed an awfully quick review to me. Great game to watch, though.
supporter
Bob, nobody's allowed to challenge a play after the 2 minute warning. In the last 2 minutes it's completely up to the booth officials to call for a review.

I don't mind seeing the Steelers win again. After the last couple though, I just think it would be fun to see them win a Super Bowl that wasn't officiated by closet Steeler fans.

At least some people see it as a controversy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...nfl,138123

And seriously, when did barely running into the holder become a personal foul? Oh, and James Harrison is a thug, both on and off the field.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 2/1/2009).]
supporter
Perhaps we now understand why Mr. Rooney thanked President Obama.
supporter
Ricardo:

What is the name of the baseball franchise in Pittsburgh?

It's all coming together now.
supporter
The football team in Pittsburgh ought to change their name to the Stealers.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
When I saw the play live I thought it was an incomplete pass but on the slo mo replay it was very clearly a fumble IMO. I was surprised they didn't review it though.
supporter
Levi:

I agree.

I thought it was a forward pass live (but I was drunk). In slow-mo, it was a fumble. They should've gone through the motions of reviewing the play, though...
supporter
The superbowl is over. Time to move on and start cheering for the UPS & AAA Ford Fusion!!!
Posted by Mike Zier (+138) 13 years ago
If you want start a Nascar thread...Start one

I do agree though that football is ended....for the 6th time with Steelers as Super Bowl Champions.

I like how when the Steelers win it's was the Ref's but when the Giants or the Pat's it was the great Belichek or Tom the the Wonderboy pulled it out.

I'll remind you that the Steelers were called for holding on the last Drive....Funny how nobody brings that up. or the holding in the End Zone for the Safety....that was a good call (which it was)

How about the fact that Gandy held Harrison oh on pretty much every play

or Ike Taylor's dumb PF on the Card's drive. Was that a bad Call?
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+491) 13 years ago
You might say that the Steelers won in spite of Harrison and refs.
In spite of Harrison?
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+491) 13 years ago
"In spite of Harrison?" He's representative of dumb penalties.
And one of the most incredible defensive plays in Superbowl history.
supporter
And the NFL Defensive Player of the Year for the 2008-09 season, as I recall.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6114) 13 years ago
Before Santonio Holmes' heroics on the final drive (and Fitzgerald's mad dash on Arizona's final series) I thought that Harrison was the player of the game. Until the thuggery, that is. When it happened, I thought to myself, "He just cost himself the game MVP. Dumb."

Neither here nor there now. I'm just glad to see Goat-Boy Jr. Warner (who is second only to Elway in my all-time list of most-hated players) NOT win the game. I'm kind of surprised that the final play of the game (Warner's "fumble") wasn't ruled an incomplete pass. After all, it looked like every other 3/4-armed girly push pass he's attempted this season.

Hope we don't have to see the Femulleted Broodmare any more this season. Had my fill from 1999-2001.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 2/3/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+379) 13 years ago
"Warner (who is second only to Elway in my all-time list of most-hated players)"

Note to self.... move Mr. Reed over to the "must be a Raiders lover" list. Just how many times did Elway wrong you?

3/4 arm girly push passes? Warner? Yea what a loser THAT guy is...
38 and ranked no lower then 3rd in any offensive stat relavent to a QB this year. 4,600 yards and 30 TD's? He's obviously still doing something wrong. Puts his team back on top with 2 minutes left in the Superbowl after digging a hole at the end of the half... whata gimp!

Chris the Copy Guy
Bleed orange and blue for life
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+379) 13 years ago
On a side note about Warner.... did anyone happen to catch a glimpse of his wife Brenda in the stands?

Man what a difference a few years and some dyed hair (extensions?) can make.
supporter
Yea what a loser THAT guy is...
38 and ranked no lower then 3rd in any offensive stat relavent to a QB this year. 4,600 yards and 30 TD's?

Chris, you've gotta remember that Brian grades on the Farve curve... where whatever numbers Favre puts up in any given year are considered "optimal" and any deviation from those numbers, either high or low, defines the margin to which that quarterback is inferior to Brett Farve.

Warner put up far too many yards and touchdowns and way too few INT's to be considered among the greatest.
Rick - I never said he isn't a great quarterback. If anything, he's proven that one can throw like a chick and make it in the NFL. I'd put down a fair-sized bet that Femullet Broodmare could beat the guy in arm wrestling.

It was almost as gratifying to see Brenda's prayers in the waning seconds go unanswered as it was to see the look of whiny anguish on Kurt's face.

It certainly doesn't hurt Warner's stats that he has had a pair all-pro level receivers (Bruce and Holt with the Rams, Fitzgerald and Boldin with the Cardinals) to throw to on the two teams where he's had the most success.

Warner's better than Elway, I'll give him that.

Randy Moss is a great receiver - I don't like him. Same goes for Terrel Owens. I can recognize that a player is outstanding without liking the guy just as easily as I can acknowledge that a player is overrated and not like the guy.

There's no direct correlation between the two factors.

Fun Stat Tidbit O' the Day:

Favre's TD:Int ratio - 1.50:1
Elway's TD:Int ratio - 1.33:1

Favre has 164 more TDs and 84 more INTs than Elway. I think most people would love to have a TD:Int ratio of 1.95:1. Of course, Favre didn't part the Red Sea, free the slaves or split the atom like Goat-Boy did.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 2/3/2009).]
supporter
Umm... it seems to me that in the 2007 NFC playoff game I remember a quarterback throwing a pick in overtime that cost his team a superbowl and looked exactly like Warners last throw in this years superbowl. I wish I could re member his name... I think he wore No. 4.
I don't think that Brian's hatred of Kurt Warner has anything to do with him being a Raiders Lover or placing Brett Farve on a pedestal. However, I do believe it has alot to do with Warner always mentioning GOD when he is interviewed.
supporter
I'm not speaking for Brian....but

I like Kurt Warner - he seems like a good guy. I think he deserves to be in the HOF.

However, God's got more important things to do than decide who's gonna win the Super Bowl.

I believe Mr. Warner has also said it's in God's hands where he plays football next year. I beg to differ. A process involving contract negotiations is much more likely.
Warner will hire one of Satan's minions (an agent) like everyone else.
Umm... it seems to me that in the 2007 NFC playoff game I remember a quarterback throwing a pick in overtime that cost his team a superbowl and looked exactly like Warners last throw in this years superbowl. I wish I could re member his name... I think he wore No. 4.

And what does that to do with Kurt Warner? And the throws looked nothing alike - Favre's throw was stupid, but it at least traveled more than five feet. The same can't be said for Warner. Apples and oranges, Richard.

I don't think that Brian's hatred of Kurt Warner has anything to do with him being a Raiders Lover or placing Brett Farve on a pedestal. However, I do believe it has alot to do with Warner always mentioning GOD when he is interviewed.

Yes, that does get old. The gratuitous camera shots of his wife also get old. I could care less about Mrs. Dugg ... er, Warner.

However, God's got more important things to do than decide who's gonna win the Super Bowl.

If God does exist and cares one iota about the result of a football game, why would I spend anytime praising him? If the Super Bowl was the only conflict that existed in the world, I would respect God caring about it. But it's not, so I wouldn't.

On a side note, it was comical to hear Ray Lewis (Cap'n Murder) give a Big G shout-out after a playoff game earlier this postseason. There's a ringing endorsement!

Warner will hire one of Satan's minions (an agent) like everyone else.

They're already on a first-name basis. Remember their three-year deal from 1999-2001?

Moving on ...

I can recognize that a player is great without having to like him, or even having to gloss over the flaws in his game (Warner has a weak arm and fumbles a lot ... he compensates for this by having a quick release and wearing gloves). I also don't have to bring up another player who's not relevant to the argument to prove my point (Rick's Favre-baiting). Elway was relevant in my post because it is well known how much I dislike him. He provides a point of reference.

Let me put it in local terms to illustrate my feelings toward Kurt Warner:

The Glendive Lady Red Devils have an outstanding girls' basketball team. Glendive still sucks. Billings Central has an outstanding football team. I still loathe Billings Central.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 2/4/2009).]