Meatloaf ideas?
Posted by TK (+1623) 12 years ago
I'm NOT a meatloaf fan, so I'm looking for some "new" ideas for ingredients to put in. Hubby loves meatloaf, so will make some tomorrow. Plan on mixing in a packet of onion soup mix (this is also good on roasts!), so will see how that goes....other ideas are welcome also!!!!
Posted by Scott (+255) 12 years ago
Tanna....2lbs burger, 1/2 lb breakfast sausage, 1 bag of mexican flavored rice (the easy stuff in the bags at the store) 3 egss. Mix it all together, cover with tin foil and bake for 1 hour at 350. take foil off and bake for 15 min more to brown the top. It is good and i hate meatloaf. I got the recipe from my mother in law. The last time i made it, I had to bake it for longer because it was a little red in the middle still.
Good luck
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+518) 12 years ago
Deluxe Meat Loaf
(from my Mom)
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound pork sausage
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix lightly, but thoroughly. Line a 9x6x5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper and pack mixture into pan. Chill loaf 1 hour. Unmold loaf into shallow roasting pan and remove paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This is really, really good and makes excellent sandwiches.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 12 years ago
To quote "A Christmas Story": Meat loaf, meat loaf, double-beat loaf, I HATE meat loaf!

I love that movie. It's a classic...but I digress.

A recipe I have is actually quite close to that of "julieinmc" above...but with these exceptions:

1. Use 2 pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork, not pork sausage.

2. Instead of chili sauce, use barbeque sauce. My personal favorite: "Famous Dave's Sweet and Sassy" if you can get it.

3. Use Italian-seasoned bread crumbs.

Other than that, I'd say follow what julie says above...I guess it kinda depends on whether you want your meat loaf to have a bit more "kick" to it with the chili sauce, or a touch of sweetness with the BBQ sauce...your call.
Posted by ABC (+381) 12 years ago
Meatloaf Idea...

If this were Close Encounters of the Third Kind, you could mold it into the shape of Devil's Tower. It might "spice" it up.

ABC

[This message has been edited by ABC (edited 1/24/2009).]
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 12 years ago
We like to put a layer of mashed potatoes, green beans and cheese in the middle of the loaf.
Posted by Keri (+40) 12 years ago
My husband makes some really good meatloaf! Instead of bread crumbs, he uses bbq potato chips! It really makes a difference! My kids are picky, and they love it!
Posted by M G (+194) 12 years ago
My best meat loaf is slightly different every time because I never measure anything but I'll give it my best guess for you.

A couple pounds of burger.
Several slices of chopped up bacon.
About a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of fine chopped onion & green pepper.
A spoon of garlic, (from the jar)
2 or 3 eggs, depending on how lean the meat is.
about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar.
A cup or so of instant rice.
Sometimes I throw in a few glugs of 57 sauce or A1.
Other times I'll use some Worcestershire sauce.
Wow, thanks for all the great replies so far--I don't measure anything, either!
The one with the mashed potatoes, beans and cheese in the middle sounds good!
Usually when I make it, and I think the last time we had meat loaf was about 5 years ago--HONESTLY!!!, I usually just mix the burger with an egg, salt, pepper, minced garlic and saltine crackers. My mother in law makes a good meatloaf---I don't know what she does to the burger, but she cooks it in a can of cream of chicken soup (though I'm not crazy about cream of chicken); her mom cooks it in tomato sauce.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+518) 12 years ago
MG, you crack me up. My Mom used to measure by glugs.

[This message has been edited by julieinmc (edited 1/25/2009).]
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 12 years ago
I will second the bacon and cheese options. My wife has a kit of sorts that she uses, but the gist of it is bacon cheeseburger meatloaf. Makes me hungry and I just had bacon for breakfast!
Posted by K. D. (+362) 12 years ago
I like to put in 1 or 2 cans of italian diced tomatoes (drained).
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 12 years ago
I have always made the meatloaf recipe from the James Beard cookbook, which is pretty conventional. Coincidentally, last night I made Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.co...index.html

It came out pretty darn good....nice and spicy. The glaze is great....better than just ketchup. My only tweak to the recipe was in the meat....I didn't feel like bothering with grinding chuck and sirloin, so I used a half and half mixture of ground beef and ground buffalo.
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+406) 12 years ago
3 lbs very lean ground beef
1/2 green pepper
1 stalk celery
1 small/med onion
1 T cider vinegar
1 T brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 - 1 tsp pepper
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 T spicy br mustard
1/2 tsp salad herbs - (I use oregano, thyme)
1/4 C grated cheddar cheese
1 C milk
1/4 C chili sauce
1/4 ketchup (I uses chunky salsa instead)
3 eggs
18 saltine crackers.

Dump everything except the hamburger in a blender. Chop the veggies to chunks first. Even though the recipe has exact measures, I use the glub and pour until it looks about right method too. Blend until smooth, pour into large bowl with hamburger and mix. Use 9 x 13 pan or 2 loaf pans. I usually bake both and then freeze one for later use. Bake at 350 for 1 - 1.5 hrs.
Ok, so we had meatloaf for dinner tonight and it was actually really good! I mixed 2 pounds of burger, 1 envelope of the dry onion gravy mix, an egg, salt, pepper and oatmeal and then baked it at 425 for about an hour or so with the baked potatoes (poked them and then used a silicone basting brush to brush on vegetable oil--it helps make the skin crispy!). Very good--not to mention it will make good sandwiches for my husband for lunches for a couple days--I baked it in glass pan I usually bake porkchops or chicken in! Yum!
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 12 years ago
You guys are wonderful but a little late for me today! I made both a meatloaf for tomorrow's dinner and a baked chicken for tonight's meal. I have to take a couple days off from work at my school district to finish my doctoral proposal this week. Trying to get some ducks in a row.

My meatloaf was just 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 T. minced garlic (we like garlic), 1/2 cup catsup, 2 beaten eggs, 2 slices sort of stale bread shredded. (Sometimes use bread crumbs, but the bugs have taken over in my pantry it seems). Sometimes I put oatmeal, but we have two homes and never seem to have what I want at the right one! Cooked it with the chicken at 350 degrees for a little over an hour.

I used what was here....I then glazed it with about 1/2 cup catsup mixed with 1/2 cup brown sugar...and shoved it back in for about 15 minutes. Sampled it and was pleased. Will see tomorrow if it meets husband's approval. It is now in the frig and I think we are gonna have cold meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow after I get home late from the school district (around 7 p.m. after a meeting with junior high math teachers) along with potato salad and cole slaw I plan to make later tonight after this break.

Trust your weather is not too bad...but remember what January can be like. Our weather here in Texas was warm last week -- upper 70s. It has been upper 40's for highs this weekend and feels kind of chilly. Off and on I put on the heat, or put a log on the pot belly.
Posted by jessiker (+291) 12 years ago
Late, but better than never! I use my meatloaf as a kind of catch-all for whatever is lying around. I always use 15% or lower fat beef, and only beef... I also use ricotta cheese in place of the eggs. I've made it with everything from bacon and pepperoni to cajun seasoning and green olives. The stuff that sounds the worst together always turns out the best!
Never late--I love all the ideas!