Thoughts on Frisbee Golf, or flolf, or whatever
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 13 years ago
I didn't want to get the Woodruff park thread off topic, but I couldn't let the reference to frisbee golf go unremarked.

In my opinion, flolf is game played by the elderly, Dirty Furry Hippies, and other people who have nothing better to do but wander around a park while they wait for their next public assistance check to arrive.

Real men play Ultimate.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 13 years ago
Heh.
Posted by Slosh (+696) 13 years ago
As a proud non-Hippie, I have to disagree with you Bridgier, as I am also a huge folf fan. In high school, there was a folf course about a mile away from Capital, and we would try to get at least one round in everyday. During the summer, it was nothing to throw five or six rounds a day. In Helena, they even set up a night course through downtown.

I agree that a lot of Hippies folf, but there's a lot more folfers that aren't.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1345) 13 years ago
Why wouldn't you just golf? Ease of use, cost to play etc?
supporter
DFH's can't afford clubs.
A folf disc is $8. That was enough for me. And my legion baseball coach didn't let us golf, and I've never picked it up. Although it's about time I do start golfing.
Posted by CalebSamuelson (+116) 13 years ago
Slosh, we should find the course and go throw a round. I think I have my disc still.
supporter
Goddammit people, I thought I had made myself clear:

Flolf = BAD
Ultimate = GOOD
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Ultimate what?
supporter
Ultimate Frisbee.

Apparently it's an alleged "sport" that "girly-boys" play.

Ike does not, to the best of my knowledge, participate in Ultimate. Or know what a frisbee is.

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (edited 1/21/2009).]
Bridger- I don't know if you've ever seen me, but I'm not exactly in "Ultimate" shape, much more of a folf shape.

Caleb- Yes we do need to do that. I have no idea where my discs ended up, but that just gives me an excuse to get new ones. I think we could set something up at Jason's, but there's no trees.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 13 years ago
My understanding is that Ultimate Frisbee combines Folf with a role playing game similar to Dungeons and Dragons. So, while you are still trying to hit a tree with a disc, you are pretending to be a wizard slaying an orc in order to claim 20 power points, or something like that.

Is this correct?
supporter
Gunnar:

I believe so.

I believe that polyhedral dice are involved as well.

The frisbee can be used as the surface upon which the dice are rolled.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4458) 13 years ago
No, Gunnar. The dice and +1 weapons only come out in the event a Ranger and a Cleric come to a draw on any given hole.

The human mage and elven thief also have the option of resorting to dice at any point they choose along the course.
supporter
Hmmm.... perhaps we've been playing it all wrong then. What happens in the case of multi-classed characters? Do their bonuses stack in this case, or do you have to make a saving throw of some kind? And if so, a save vs. what?

Also, does this use v4.0 rules, or v3.5?
Posted by daveb (+83) 13 years ago
I recall DFH's playing not only folf but also ultimate during my days in Missoula. I would also like to point out that there is an excellent folf course out at Woodruf Park that would rival any course in the state. Weren't those DFH's playing ultimate in the movie PCU?
Posted by Tyler Niedge (+71) 13 years ago
Slosh, Caleb, I've have never played folf, but have heard that it can be fun. I have played ulimate before, but just like you slosh, I am no longer in "ultimate" shape. If you guys get something going, i would love to tag along and watch/play.
Tyler,

Talk to Smith. Him along with the mule train and myself where the ones who made the folf course out there. It's probably a little overgrown but I remember it pretty well. It is a little more physically challenging than most courses in the state but not too bad. I myself wouldn't mind picking up the sport again.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Don't forget Ultimate Hula Hoop. That's where you do hula hoop tricks while dressed as Star Wars characters.
Posted by BigDryBug (+58) 13 years ago
The Woodruff course was a cardiopulmonary workout that put even the chubbiest (No names mentioned) of us into shape by the end of the summer. I think the last time I shot a round of Folf at Woodruff was in the summer of '04.
Brown, HamHock, Steiner, Muletrain, Regan, and myself used to have the annual Thanksgiving Folf until we all got married off.
Hamhock had the record for singles(or so he claims), I think maybe Myself and Muletrain held the BestDisk record. That course was/is awesome!
We had always talked about making it legit with permission/baskets/etc.
supporter
"Brown, HamHock, Steiner, Muletrain, Regan, and myself"

QED, I rest my case.
Posted by TALBOT (+246) 13 years ago
Wow!! Disc Golfers in Eastern Montana. I was the president of the Reno Disc Golf Assn. for ten years. I even got to play in a Disc Golf US Open in 1984. It's held every year in LaMirada CA. I thought that I was pretty good till I got my ass handed to me by a guy from Texas, who beat me by 27 strokes in a 27 hole qualifying round. We used to play almost everyday. So, if anybody would like to check out the Woodruff Park Course this spring or summer I would love to play again.
TALBOT
supporter
NO NO NO!! This thread was intended to mock the indolent and the unemployed, not encourage flolffery. Never mind. Forget the whole thing. Please return to your cheetos.
Caleb, Tyler and anyone else interested. I'm thinking it maybe a bit cold this weekend (although that could make things even more interesting), but I think we should get together one of these weekends and head out to Woodruff Park and take a look. Fix things up that need fixed up and throw a round or two. It could get us ready to defend our title.
Posted by CalebSamuelson (+116) 13 years ago
That would be awesome. I have a good pair of carharts and some boots so I'm in. Just let me know.
Slosh/Caleb,

The original course that we made may be hard to find. We had no baskets or posts just trees. The mule train is going to be in town this weekend. Maybe I can talk the bug and mule into heading out there for a round or two.

If I remember right we had a total of 19 holes that stretched across the entire park. Personally I feel that it is the best folf course that I've ever played. Blue Mountain in Missoula wasn't bad back in '97 but they ended up changing it.
Dave- My favorite courses that I've played were just trees and such. My favorite course, Scratchgravel in Helena, was nothing but trees. I played a few courses that were "official" with baskets and I didn't like them as much.

One thing we always enjoyed when we went camping was creating our own folf courses.

If you guys are interested in throwing a round, I'm sure I could grab a guy or two and come check out the course, throw a round and maybe enjoy a Miles City's finest.
I think that snowdrifts might be a hindrance to a good game of Folf this weekend BigDryBrown! But let me know, HamHock has a buttload of folf disks, I don't think I have any left.
I would be up for refurbishing the course this spring, God knows I can use more exercise!
Bridgier, thanks for the conversation, we have brought local folfers out of the woodwork.
supporter
Anything to keep the fluffers amused I guess...
I'm beginning to think this weekend may not be the best for folfing. But I would love to give a hand in refurbishing the course when it gets nicer.
supporter
Mea Culpa time - I polled my fellow Ultimate players, and they all love Folf as well. So, again, never mind.

However, when disaffected folfers and/or their parents complain that the Miles City Disk Golf Team won the South Dakota state title, but the Star wouldn't bother to write it up, just remember who rekindled folfing in Miles City.
supporter
Bridgier:

I agree.

And really, how big of a deal is it to win some North Dakota "club" hockey tourney anyway?

They were probably playing against some crud like Watford City, ND or Nowhere, ND.

*ducking*
supporter
Oh, don't count out the Nowhere Nats just yet - I'll bet Coach Turtle is getting them ready to reclaim the title. "Win one for the Nonpartisan League" I personally don't find it very catchy, but what do I know?
Posted by mule train (+1050) 13 years ago
If the dryland nord, spider monkey, and the dirty brown eye get the course ready in time...I propose a Bucking Horse Folf Tourney on Sat May 16th. I have been to plenty of BHS Parades...I would be willing to miss this one in order to get a quality game of folf in.
Its on Mule. I cannot wait to get out and enjoy some springlike weather. Right now, it seems as though the winter will never loosen its arctic grip.......Folf is a faint warm dream.
supporter
Posted by Jerry Dean (+156) 13 years ago
I am a clean Hippie from the 60's and still love to play Folf!
Makoshika State Park and the old people from the Friends of Makoshika put in a very nice 18 hole course years ago. They have
improved it every year and two years ago they installed 18 offical baskets. Though I do like throwing Disks at Woodruff park, FWP owns Pirogue Island State Park and with enough interested people, I am sure they would be willing to help with a course!
Posted by Joshua Austill (+92) 13 years ago
So I'm not a hippie, hippies do more drugs then me . I do however LOVE folf! I live in Billings, and we have a VERY easy course downtown in Pioneer park, and a VERY hard, VERY long course out on the end of Rimrock, like 10 miles out. It's 36 baskets, and to hit each one is something like 15 miles of walking. One hole tee's off from the top of a 100? foot cliff and the basket is across the valley. When you get off you get WAY off .

So if any of yall are ever planning a trip to Billings and want to FOLF let me know, I'm always up for a weekend game.

Oh ya, Ultimate is for wanna be soccer players with no talent .
It's almost warm out there. Pretty close to Folf weather.

I like the idea of Pirogue Island.