President Bush Farewell Speech.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
Thank you President Bush for not preempting Wheel of Fortune. I would have appreciated this speech even more if he'd given it four years ago.
Posted by ABC (+381) 12 years ago
Hooray! No more fingers on the chalk board.

ABC
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Here's hoping he forgets to duck when he walks out to Marine One for the last time ...
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2044) 12 years ago
Good Riddance!!
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 12 years ago
Hell to the Chief.
Posted by Dillpickle (+34) 12 years ago
Wait... Bush is leaving???

How come nobody told me we were having an election?

What about Iran? Korea? We've only invaded part of the Axis! We still have countries that don't like us to occupy!
He could have accomplished a lot more, dillpickle, but those pesky libs kept getting in his way.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Let the reign of the "Pirate-in-Chief" begin.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 12 years ago

Posted by KC65 (+19) 12 years ago
Believe me when I say I wasn't a supporter of President Bush. But I think we also have to recognize the incredible burdens of the office. I disagree with many of the man's policies and responses but i still have respect for anyone that would be willing to assume that responsibility.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+398) 12 years ago
The Bush Empire ends. I cannot see either of his daughters running in the future.

Let Hope and Change rule! Yes, we did!
Don't forget Jeb!

Run Jeb, Run!
Posted by Major Pain (+201) 12 years ago
> But I think we also have to recognize
> the incredible burdens of the office.

...all the more reason not to put them on an inarticulate, lying, oath-breaking, torturing, scofflaw and moron, then.

Much less do it twice.

That's the problem with our unqualified democracy. Any two uninformed people outvote a single informed person, and with 1/2 the country at or under 100 IQ by definition, and 100 IQ demonstrably not what anyone sensible would construe as a qualification for deep thinking, and a good number above the 100 line not paying proper attention (not to mention lacking a basic understanding of liberty, science and even basic geography), the uninformed voters vastly outnumber the informed ones. This flaw is inherent to the principle of allowing any citizen who can "make their mark" to vote. It sounds fair, but it is ultimately self-destructive to our society.

People are hoping Obama will do better; but you know, even though he's perceived as about the polar opposite of Bush in many ways, even if that's 100% accurate, he still has to deal with a congress that was elected the same way Bush was. And did you see Biden's performance reprising the "Village Idiot" role in his senate departure speech? So, so pitiful. Even short excerpts from it are appalling to listen to.

Personally, I think it's time to crawl in a hole and pull the lid in after you, to whatever extent you can manage it. My impression is that we're in for some very tough times, a great deal of which will be in the form of further... gifts... from Washington.
Actually Pain, for a lot of people, its time to crawl OUT of a hole.
Posted by KC65 (+19) 12 years ago
While I agree that President Bush will not go down in history as a good president. I believe it is time we as Americans begin to accept responsibilities for our own future. Don't get loans you can't afford. Don't buy cars that get poor gas mileage. Recycle. Help a neighbor. Volunteer in schools...food banks..service clubs etc.. Our generation (I am 43) have lost our commitment to public service. I am a huge fan of President elect Obama but he is not a savior. The way that we will recover and move forward is by reconcillation not placing blame. I think we need to respectfully thank President Bush for his service to our nation. We all played a part in the trouble we are in now.
That's fine, Bob, I would never interfere with a personal choice of yours.

I'm simply pointing out that the light in the tunnel so many are enamored with appears to me to be an oncoming train.

...by yours truly
Major Pain - What good is your self-proclaimed intelligence if you're too afraid to use it? Running and hiding isn't a solution, it's cowardice. Nothing has ever been solved by giving in to fear.

So Biden gave a bad speech - whoop-dee-frakking-doo. Do you think he's going to be in the same position Cheney was, pulling the President's strings? I think not.

No one who possesses any degree of intelligence believes that the problems this country faces are going to be solved within President Obama's first 100 hours or 100 days.

But I have more faith in the people who recognize that problems exist and have the moral courage to face them than those who have already thrown their hands in the air and are given to hunker down in the face of adversity.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 12 years ago
KC65: "but i still have respect for anyone that would be willing to assume that responsibility"

I'm more inclined to go with the Major on this one. Even though they didn't get my vote, I respected Pres. Reagan and admired many of his accomplishments. I can honestly say the same thing about Pres. Bush the first, who I think history WILL be kinder to than the American public was. He made some tough decisions that stood the test of time and he looks wiser and wiser as the years have gone by.

W on the other hand has done nothing except "talk tough" after 9-11, which I submit any sitting president would have done. He then squandered all the global good-will that resulted from that tragedy on international misadventures directed at implementing an agenda that benefited very few in what could be referred to as his "friends and family" plan, and his domestic policies have left our economy in shambles and our balance of power structure totally askew.

4 years of Bush/Cheney should have been enough; it's a testament to the strength of our nation that we survived 8 entire years of their hijinks.

Jan. 20th can't get here soon enough!
> What good is your self-proclaimed intelligence
> if you're too afraid to use it?

Am I not participating in public discourse right at the moment? Have you seen me unwilling to wade in on subjects where there was significant opposition? Is it your contention that ducking when someone swings at you can only be a consequence of fear? If so, then you, sir, are naive in the extreme.

> Running and hiding isn't a solution, it's cowardice.
> Nothing has ever been solved by giving in to fear.

That is nothing less than utter nonsense. Fear, and its cousin, caution, can be solid, dependable signals that can be counted on to indicate when to duck. If you ignore them out of a misdirected sense of bulling through regardless of the threat level, eventually you're going to learn that the hard way.

Further, when the forces aligned against you are far larger and stronger than you are, avoiding them isn't cowardice - it is nothing less than common sense. Surviving to fight another day when the odds are more favorable is almost universally the proper choice of action.

You are spouting empty rhetoric here. Primarily, I suspect, in a failed attempt to browbeat. There's certainly no other merit to your claim.

> So Biden gave a bad speech - whoop-dee-frakking-doo.
> Do you think he's going to be in the same position Cheney was

Yes. He is the president's first-line replacement, should the president become unable to perform his duties for any reason. So I take him very seriously. If you choose not to, that's your prerogative. You'll join a lot of other people making the same mistake, no doubt.

> pulling the President's strings?

No, I don't think he'll be pulling Obama's strings.

> No one who possesses any degree of intelligence believes
> that the problems this country faces are going to be solved
> within President Obama's first 100 hours or 100 days.

...and your point here with regard to anything I said is... ???

> But I have more faith in the people who recognize
> that problems exist and have the moral courage to
> face them than those who have already thrown their
> hands in the air and are given to hunker down in
> the face of adversity.

Hmm. Yes, well, you can place your... faith... wherever you like.

Here's a true faith and bravery story for you...

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov/04/world/fg-lion4

...that's what can happen when "bravery" is the first emotion brought on line in the face of a credible threat. Man would have done well to employ a little of that fear you hold in such disdain.

Myself, I've been watching our liberties erode for decades at the hands of the ruling 545 and their sycophants in the state legislatures; watching the the government war against people's personal choices; watching many, many thousands of US soldiers die in socially valueless wars; watching the currency devalue; seeing education water further and further down; observing the increasingly sophist and offhand misinterpretation of the constitution become the default view; and a good deal more along those lines.

I vote. In fact, this time around, I voted for Obama, not that it did any good, due to the electoral collage system - Montana had no positive effect on Obama's election whatsoever.

I have put in my time from Kent State to marches on Washington. I've participated in town councils. I have donated my time as a teacher for years (for that matter, I funded and hand-built the building I teach in.) I give liberally to charities that I consider worthy. And I pay attention to what is going on. So you can rail all you want about "moral courage", but please, don't expect me to take your nattering seriously.

My intuition is telling me this is going to be a very rough time, economically, legally, and consequently socially. If you think that's cowardice... then enough said.
My intuition is telling me this is going to be a very rough time, economically, legally, and consequently socially. If you think that's cowardice... then enough said.

I never said that. I believe your intuition is correct. What I believe to be cowardly is your suggestion that "it's time to crawl in a hole and pull the lid in after you."

"I have put in my time from Kent State to marches on Washington. I've participated in town councils. I have donated my time as a teacher for years (for that matter, I funded and hand-built the building I teach in.) I give liberally to charities that I consider worthy. And I pay attention to what is going on. So you can rail all you want about "moral courage", but please, don't expect me to take your nattering seriously."

And after all of your fighting the good fight, you've come to the conclusion that hiding under the nearest rock is the best answer? Why should your nattering be taken seriously?

Prudence is a good thing. Caution is a good thing. Weighing all of one's options carefully before deciding on a course of action is a good thing. But you never said anything about prudence, caution or weighing options in your first post.

What you did mention, however, is "crawling in a hole." Again, running and hiding solves nothing.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 1/16/2009).]
> you've come to the conclusion that hiding under
> the nearest rock is the best answer?

Yes, that's correct. That's why I said so.

> Why should your nattering be taken seriously?

No reason, Brian. It's just one person's opinion. Best of luck in your approach, whatever it may be.

> What you did mention, however, is "crawling in a hole."
> Again, running and hiding solves nothing.

I understand that is your position. I'll leave you with these thoughts, then:

Is it your contention that the optimum place to be in a hurricane is out in the wind? Have you ever considered just why people build tornado shelters? Bomb shelters? Why the military uses camouflage whenever possible, and routinely complements said camouflage by literally "digging a hole" and jumping into it? What the benefits of a castle are, as opposed to a hovel? What the actual meanings of the words "strategy" and "tactics" are? Why rivers that are known to exceed their banks are routinely sandbagged? Why hubris is not generally considered to be a positive state of mind? Finally, do you understand the genesis of the apothegm that it is best not to bring a knife to a gunfight?
Oh, snap.

I have been put in my place.

Keep that up and you'll be Colonel Pain in no time flat.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
So does that make Brian "General Pain"? Sorry, it was there.
Inauguration II - Planning

....by yours truly
I'm sure it'll be a huge disaster, Pain. At least I'm sure that's what you're hoping for.
Here's one last look at our outgoing president:
http://www.huffingtonpost...58705.html
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 12 years ago
That line always makes me think of this scene. Knife to a gunfight.

Cheers!
FH
> I'm sure it'll be a huge disaster, Pain. At
> least I'm sure that's what you're hoping for.

Bob, you're wrong. I'm hoping for it to be a great success, given that they've already decided to spend the money on it. I think it would have been a great symbolic act to say "that money is needed elsewhere, so there will be no organized event", but I'm not entirely convinced that such a celebration doesn't have intrinsic value.

I'm just not expecting it to work out, because I actually did a little math, you see, and the numbers seem to be rather on the "oh no" side. I could easily be wrong; I did have to make a few assumptions. If you want to see the math, I'd be perfectly willing to post it (already did post it in my flickr account, so it's no trouble at all to copy it here.) Just say the word.

There's quite a significant difference between a realist and a pessimist, you know. I am not pessimistic by nature. But I'm not blind, either.

FYI, I'm fond of Obama. I don't agree with him 100% - for instance, I disagree with his public statements on the 2nd amendment entirely, and he has said he will approach some of the "repairs" that need to be made a great deal more conservatively that I would prefer - but overall, I think he's got the potential to be the best president we've ever had, bar none. The challenges are certainly there to provide such an opportunity.

It remains to be seen if his strength in forging compromise will be up to the task of correcting the course of a wayward congress and a wayward judiciary and a crashed economy; I'm looking forward to seeing him try, though, and I'm pretty sure he is going to try, which cheers me no end. It's going to be quite a mess either way; too many vested interests exist with positions that directly oppose a lot of what he needs to accomplish.

None of which solves the problem of them not having allocated enough porta-potties.

[This message has been edited by Major Pain (edited 1/18/2009).]
Half a million folks were at the concert this afternoon. Were there any potty riots there?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
I'm also worried about the potty situation. Washington, D.C. is already such a cesspool that the Inauguration doesn't need to add to it.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1350) 12 years ago
A large part of a recovering economy is consumer confidence. The inauguration will be one small piece of the multi-dimensional puzzle that needs to be put together to solve our issues.

All finished puzzles started with a single piece.

[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (edited 1/19/2009).]