Signal Butte
Posted by GVC (+517) 13 years ago
3 questions:

Who owns Signal Butte?

What are the various antennae paraphernalia on top used for?

Can you hike or ride to the top anymore without permission?

Thanks.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1614) 13 years ago
1. I do.

2. Because they look cool.

3. No.

Cheers!
FH
Posted by AJS (+221) 13 years ago
Does this apply to Signal Butte south of Rosebud too.

Jim
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 13 years ago
Frank, do you really own Signal Butte?

I love Signal Butte. I love to look out the ACE window at Signal Butte. Sometimes when the afternoon light is just right, Signal Butte absolutely glows. I know, no trees, no streams, no "green" grass, and yet there is just something about that butte. Maybe the history, or maybe just because it really says home.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1614) 13 years ago
...no...sorry. I only own a single butt. There aren't any antennas anywhere near and no-one ever climbs it, let alone asks permission.

FH
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 13 years ago
I forgive you.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9965) 13 years ago
I don't mind people climbing on someone's butte, but when they start mountain goats . . . well, that's just going too far.

[This message has been edited by Hal Neumann (edited 1/6/2009).]
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10003) 13 years ago
My grandmother used to own a section adjacent to it, which rode slightly up the south side. That section was handed off to others in my family, but I don't know who actually owns Signal Butte itself. Perhaps BLM or some other branch of the Federal Government. Just a wild guess. There's probably a website out there somewhere to look it up.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14985) 13 years ago
The legal description is Section 6 Township 7N Range 48E. It is private surface. If Custer county had on-line records like most other places I could tell you who owns it. Instead I find your sheriff has a hotmail account for email.

If you take the legal description to the Clerk and Recorder you can find out who owns it. I believe that Signal Butte used to be part of the Herzog place. It may still be the case.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 13 years ago
http://gis.mt.gov/

This site will tell you more about some people than you ever wanted to know, including who owns ANY lot in Montana, what improvements it has, how much the taxes are, and the NAME & ADDRESS of the legal owners. It's fun to try to find David Letterman's place, Tom Brokaw, all the actors and other rich & famous people that have places in Montana. Especially when you look inside places like the Yellowstone Club, and around Flathead Lake.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14985) 13 years ago
I tried that site earlier,Chad. It came up with an error message saying it couldn't find the info and to try back later.

~~~~
I guess the site wasn't Safari friendly. It appears that Bill Krutzfeldt is the land owner.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 1/7/2009).]
Posted by GVC (+517) 13 years ago
Like Bart says it is a cool area, I used to enjoy the hike but wasn't sure about the possibility of access anymore.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 13 years ago
"If Custer county had on-line records like most other places I could tell you who owns it. Instead I find your sheriff has a hotmail account for email."

I literally laughed out loud at this.
Posted by WATTS (+213) 13 years ago
My dad owns the property around the KATL TOWERS. I believe Butch Krutzfeldt owns signal Butte. You need his permission to do things out there.
Posted by jkuhl (+83) 13 years ago
I hiked to the top of Signal Butte once. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. Walking up and sliding down on clay pebbles is no picnic at all. So believe me, if it isn't legal anymore and you don't feel like breaking the law, you're definitely not missing out on anything. You'd have more fun hiking across the frickin' rapids!