Miles City Star 2008 Sports Highlights- Good/Bad or ugly
Posted by toni strouf (+2) 13 years ago
Hey did everybody see the great article in the paper about the Miles City Lady Generals winning the North Dakota U19 Girls State Championship? It was amazing the way the article pointed out how the Miles City Girls team ranges in ages from 11-18 and competes with with other teams that the average age is 17. It was great to see acknowledgement for the younger players who really have to step up and play with the big girls. The Lady Generals only graduated 3 seniors last year, the rest of the team was under 16. Truely a Miricle on ice. It was nice to see that the sports editor found it important to write about this one David and Golith story.

Oh wait a minute....this is a story that wasn't in the paper. My bad, I guess it really didn't matter how hard the Girls worked to accomplish the goal of a State Title, the first EVER for Miles City Girls Hockey. It must of been more important to know that Josh got a Hunting dog.

I can only speak about the Girls hockey team because that what I've been around. I know that there are many other sports that don't get reported on or the acknowledgement that they should, but I don't feel comfortable talking about them because I don't know enough about it, maybe I would know more about Youth Baseball or Soccor if they had the spread that was in the paper about a group that took a once in a lietime trip. Whatever.
Posted by Blayne W. (+47) 13 years ago
Very good point. Maybe this story could have taken the place of another NASCAR spread. Nothing wrong with NASCAR, I'm a fan... but I don't get my news about NASCAR from my local paper. I'm also a huge NFL fan, but once again, don't count on my LOCAL paper for my NFL news. I feel our LOCAL paper should have more LOCAL stories. I'm not sure how much control Josh has over what he reports on. I actually enjoy the stories he writes, just wish he would spend more time on the local sports. He wrote a great story about my son last year and him racing motocross... but I had to practically track him down, give him the pictures, and set up an interview. I guess it's just easier to download article off the AP. With the internet these days, news is way too easy to get when we want it... we turn to the paper for the local stuff though. Who knows, maybe it will get better. He did a great job coverng the Cowboys season.... but there are more sports in this town.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 13 years ago
Toni, I understand the frustration, but a small paper like the Star doesn't have the resources to send someone to track down what happened in every sport at every age level in Miles City.

Usually the amount of coverage received by the Star is determined by the amount of information coaches/parents/fans collect and report.

There are a few exceptions for the most well-attended sports, where the Star keeps track for itself. But if you want this acheivement recognized in the paper, as well it should be, you'd be best off collecting some scores and stats and submitting them to the Star (or talking to someone who can)

Anyway, congratulations to the Lady Generals. Miles City is lucky to have such a strong program.
Posted by toni strouf (+2) 13 years ago
Rick, thanks for your comment and I understand what your saying but the coaching staff for the Lady Generals wrote articles for every game the girls played as well as the article for winning state, and submitted them to the star. Everything the star needed for the entire season was handed to them. I'm not the type of person to complain in a public forum, but I saw how hard this team worked last season and to not even get a sentence mentioned for 2008 sports is a slap in the face to the team.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 13 years ago
Once again the left-wing media insults Sarah Palin!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6066) 13 years ago
I'm not the type of person to complain in a public forum

And yet, here you are, "complaneing in a publik fourum."

Rick, thanks for your comment and I understand what your saying but the coaching staff for the Lady Generals wrote articles for every game the girls played as well as the article for winning state, and submitted them to the star.

Therein lies the problem. Most coach-written submissions really aren't printable. That's not meant as an insult, just a reflection of the reality of the situation. (Try reading your own post, Toni.)

Also, it's easy for a person to snipe at what is or isn't in a newspaper. Try working for one, Toni. Try being a one-person sports staff for a day, or a week. Write 15-20 bylined stories per week for a relative pittance.

Then try doing it for four years at the level that Josh has. You have one sport to worry about with one season to cover. He has every sport to cover (and there isn't one person who ever believes that THEIR team receives enough coverage) and doesn't have an off-season, so to speak.

You should be thankful that the Star has a writer/editor as capable and as hardworking as Josh - most papers the size of the Star don't have anyone close. You could live in Sidney. Or Glendive. Or Hardin. Or practically any other Class A community in the state - THEN you'd have a reason to complain.

You could have had a point, Toni. You drowned it with sour grapes and typos.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 1/2/2009).]
Posted by Tracey (+16) 13 years ago
Hear, Hear, Brian
Posted by Sarah Blakely (+66) 13 years ago
Priorities... I'm very surprised the local hockey wasn't covered, considering Josh is related to a team member! Not only is it a slap in the face to the team, but to his family! I guess it comes down to what is important...
Just out of curiosity, how many teams are in the league in which the Lady Generals play? How many games did they have this season?
Posted by Rayne Motz (+3) 13 years ago
I would just like to thank Toni for bringing this issue up,I play for the Lady Generals and I happen to be one of the seniors this year. One of two. And as a player of this Association I feel like we get bashed because we are not a school sponsored sport. In a regular season our Lady Generals Play between 18 and 25 games not including tournaments, where we play between 3 and 5 games in three days. We compete in the North Dakota Amateur Hockey Association, this means we travel all over North Dakota to play the game we love. Our road to the state championship was not an easy one by any means. We played 12 Conference games and went 11 and 1 on the season our seniors and the rest of our team worked our butts off to get to number one going to the state tournament which was in Sidney, MT. We opened our state play, by playing Mayport, North Dakota, wich we have lost to every year for 4 years. Our entire team played amazing! we wone in a blow out 5 to 0 Taja Strouf, our senior goalie, played astonishing. We had team play from everyone and our seniors were not walking out of that arena without the title, our entire team backed them. Next we played Sidney and had yet another amazing game 3 to 1, beating one of the other top seated teams. to move onto the State Championship on Sunday, against our rivals Crosby, North Dakota. Everytime we play them it is a hard fought game. The score of the game was Crosby 2 MC 1 going into the last 6 min of the game we came back to win that game 5 to 2. If thats not a gladiator game then I dont know what is. For a team whose average age is way younger than the team they are playing, that is pretty exeptional if you ask me. Not only did our whole team walk out of that arena with that state championship, but we walked out of that arena with the North Dakota State Championship. We live, practice and play our home games in MT. So I guess what I want everyone to take from this is, that a group of young girls and amazing Hockey players walked away with THE NORTH DAKOTA STATE TITLE! When everyone came home the week after the state tournament, everyone was on a cloud. Like high school sports we were thinking we would get a spread in the paper like all the previous state champion winning teams but then, reality hit, we are not a high school sponsered sport so that was not going to happen. We got the corner of the sports section saying how we did with our team picture. All of us were dissapointed because for the first time in Lady Generals history, we won a title not to mention another state's title and got no more recoginition than Josh's new dog! Very little recoginition for our hard work, dedication and great accomplishment. And I think the spread for some of the other, school sponsored, State titles Were like 3 pages or longer. To me it seems like a slap in the face, because we work just as hard to get the same recognition as all the other sports in this town and we dont.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 13 years ago
Rayne, congratulations to you and your teammates! From what you've said, you deserve the front page. But I know how to get your team in the paper next season. Just make sure you have girls on the team with parents who are high up in Republican circles. Oops. I think I spilled the beans.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 13 years ago
More people read this. Good point about the dog, though.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 1/12/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9222) 13 years ago
Well, it was the North Dakota State title - I mean, have you heard the jokes they tell about that place?
Posted by Mike Zier (+134) 13 years ago
Easy there big fella
Rayne -

Thank you for answering my question regarding the number of games your team played this season. I appreciate it.

I have just one other question for you: were the stories that were submitted to the Star composed as well as your post? One long paragraph with minimal punctuation?

I understand that you feel slighted, but the reality of the situation is that you play a club sport which will never equal the level the prestige of a high school sponsored activity. That's not a slam on your accomplishment, it's an accurate reflection of the way things are.

It's not because you live in Miles City, where Cowboy Football is king (and Cowgirl Basketball is queen). When it comes to high school sports, MHSA-sanctioned activities have the same level of primacy in Billings, Great Falls, Missoula, Butte, Lewistown and Sidney as they do in Miles City. You're bringing a proverbial knife to a gunfight.

You had a picture in the paper? Congratulations - it's more than you would have gotten in the Billings Gazette, which has five full-time sports staffers and a spate of part-timers.

How many fans did you have at your state championship game? The Cowboys had 2,000 ... at Daylis Stadium in Billings, which was equal to or greater than the number of fans the home team had there.

There are enough sporting events to preview, cover and write game stories and features about to keep two full time sportswriters busy. Josh does it by himself. If he wants to write something different than the thousands of stories he has composed in the last four years, so be it.

Most of the sports editors the Star has had over the years - myself included - didn't have the writing chops Josh has when it comes to writing columns and non-mainstream sporting events. If CW Wilcox were still at the Star, you wouldn't know who scored half the time and would have to settle for inane stories about "Winken, Blinken & Nod." (?)

The community should be thankful Josh has been as dedicated to his job as he has. I speak from experience when I say that a sports editor of his ability and level of passion is rare. You could be far worse off.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 1/12/2009).]
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 13 years ago
"I have just one other question for you: were the stories that were submitted to the Star composed as well as your post? One long paragraph with minimal punctuation?

Did you honestly direct that at a teenage girl excited about winning a State Title in a sport she is obviously passionate about?

Careful the glass, you don't want to cut your feet.

Rayne, don't mind Brian he's still stuck on the fact all his greatest accomplishments ended when he graduated High School. Your team succeeded despite the environment you played in and that's an awesome achievement. Congratulations to you and your team and I hope you find a way to carry that over into your college years if possible.

Brian, see how pointless and juvenile my jab at you was? Now imagine if you were reading this after winning the State title in '95 and someone was disparaging your enthusiasm.

Try to keep some context, geez.
Thanks J. Dyba You rock!
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 13 years ago
Just make sure you have girls on the team with parents who are high up in Republican circles.

Heh. What does that mean? Next year they'll get a front page banner next to another front-page "news" article reciting Brian Schweitzer's love for Barack Obama.

It's almost like you've never read the paper.
Heh. What does that mean? Next year they'll get a front page banner next to another front-page "news" article reciting Brian Schweitzer's love for Barack Obama.

It could be worse - there could be a headline that states, "When Moses speaks, people listen" when Charlton Heston comes to down.
Did you honestly direct that at a teenage girl excited about winning a State Title in a sport she is obviously passionate about?

Yes and no. I directed it at a teenage girl, but not at all because she was passionate about her sport or state title. She should be proud and excited. She should also care enough about the point she's trying to make to make it as well as she can.

Speaking of "college years" - what would you guess would happen if her scholarship applications or term papers are written in the same "enthusiastic" style? Be honest. If that's all you expect of her, then I'm not the one who's issued the greatest insult tonight.

Brian, see how pointless and juvenile my jab at you was? Now imagine if you were reading this after winning the State title in '95 and someone was disparaging your enthusiasm.

I'm not disparaging her enthusiasm in the least bit, J. That she allowed her enthusiasm to overwhelm her ability to keep things in perspective (or context, if you will) and write a coherent post, yes.

But that she's happy? Never. That she's proud of her team's accomplishment? Of course not.

And Josh, it was 1994. Attention to detail is a good thing.
"Try to keep some context, geez."

Read that line one more time. Now reread it about 15 more times and try to figure out how it applies.

If it doesn't dawn on you let me know and I'll break it down for you

again.
Break it down for me, Josh.
Posted by Dave Golterman (+244) 13 years ago
I'm going to jump in here on the side of the hockey folks. I understand the Miles City Star doesn't have a huge staff, but hockey does deserve some coverage. Someone said hockey is a "club" sport, so it's not as important as the high school sanctioned sports. Let me ask, how much space does Babe Ruth & American Legion baseball get? How about high school rodeo? Those are club sports too.

The Billings Gazette did give some coverage to "club" hockey. I couldn't find an article about the North Dakota championships, but there was an article about the first ever Montana State Championships which were played in Miles City. The article is here: http://billingsgazette.ne...champs.txt

The Sidney Herald and the Roundup (the local newspapers) provided excellent coverage of the Richland Rangers hockey teams when I was living there last year. The Boys games were also carried on Eagle 93 Radio and the girls state tournament was broadcast on Eagle 93 and Power 95 both.

There are four media outlets who believe Junior Gold hockey is important enough to cover. As the original poster stated, I think hockey is more important than the reporters new hunting dog.

Dave
Let me ask, how much space does Babe Ruth & American Legion baseball get?

Baseball is played in the summer when there is a minimum of conflicting activities. Suffice it to say that it benefits from being the only game in town during that time, so to speak.

The Billings Gazette did give some coverage to "club" hockey.

A brief is hardly coverage.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 1/13/2009).]
Posted by Dave Golterman (+244) 13 years ago
You make a valid point Brian. It does help to be the only game in town.

But if the coaches are submitting articles, I think they deserve at least a little coverage. I know submitted material is not always the highest quality, but the job is Sports "EDITOR", so ask a few questions and make some changes.

I realize it is easy to Monday morning quarterback this issue. A suggestion for the hockey fans...let the Star know how you feel in a respectful manner and with as many numbers as possible.

Dave
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1495) 13 years ago
Hi,

Looks like someone was listening. Applause to Josh for the article in Wednesday nights Miles City Star. It is nice to see him spending his time editing and writing, rather than making excuses for why hockey can't be covered on Milescity.com. I've done a bit of editing, and it can be done without too much effort. Again Josh, THANKS for the article.

[This message has been edited by MRH (edited 1/15/2009).]
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+796) 13 years ago
http://milestown.suddenla...ard=Sports

We would love to have local sports information on the MilesCityPulse.com

I know a shameless plug.
[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (edited 1/15/2009).]
I just wanted to say thank you to Josh, for writing a great article for the paper. Thank you!