How'd I miss this???
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 13 years ago
Last night I caught a great comedy on the Late Late Late Show that starred Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis called the Out-of-Towners. I thought I'd seen all of Jack Lemmon's films, but somehow I missed this one. Made me wonder - what other gems have I missed?

So, please list any "sleeper" films that most people don't know about that are on your personal favorites list....
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 13 years ago
One of mine is the one that got Richard Dreyfuss his Oscar - The Goodbye Girl
Posted by V (+170) 13 years ago
White Christmas with Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby a great Christmas movie to catch every year..
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+322) 13 years ago
James Garner and Julie Andrews, The Americanization of Emily.
Ken Z
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+403) 13 years ago
Noises Off - Absolutely hilarious movie that nobody seems to have seen. A cast that will blow your doors off. Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeves, John Ritter, Nicolette Sheridan and another dozen very good performances. A cast of stage actors caught in lots of love triangles, and trying to pull off a long series of stage presentations in the middle of chaos. I laughed hysterically start to finish. You get to see it from the audience perspective, and from backstage too. Brilliant editing, unbelievable comedic timing, and just flat out funny stuff. I would recommend it to everyone.
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+476) 13 years ago
My rainy night feel-good movies are:
The Newton Boys
Seabiscuit
Goin' South - Jack Nicholson
The Notebook
Oh brother, where art thou
and of course just about any old black and white romantic comedy from the 1930's.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 13 years ago
Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Every Which Way But Loose- Clint Eastwood and an orangutan.

In-Laws- Peter Falk (CIA?) and Alan Arkin. Great stuff!

Monty Python Holy Grail- Silly. It's just a flesh wound.

Being There- The great Peter Sellers. A must see.

The Sting- Huge success, not a sleeper, but if you have not seen this one-- DO!

Used Cars- Kurt Russell. Campy but great humor.

Gung Ho- Horrible name for a great movie! Michael Keaton is not a millie!

The Warriors- Laughable but fun to watch these rebels encounter ridiculous street gangs in NY.

The Great Santini- Robert Duvall. Need anyone say more? Except, it has nothing to do with a circus.

Netflix!!

Cheers!
FH

[This message has been edited by Frank Hardy (edited 12/21/2008).]
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 13 years ago
Used Cars - That IS a good one , Frank. I haven't seen it for a while.

"Witness for the Prosecution" with Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton

"Family Jewels" w/ Jerry Lewis

I like a lot of the old Bob Hope comedies....they're often a little lame but I like'em anyway. The one that comes to mind is "That Certain Feeling"

No one seems to show the old Godzilla movies anymore. The original with Raymond Burr is a great one. Burr was obviously edited in for the American audience.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3685) 13 years ago
Frank,

The quote, "its just a flesh wound" is from The Meaning of Life, not The Holy Grail. Get your Python straight.
founder
supporter
When I say "get your Python straight" you know I meant Monty...right?
supporter
Hmmm... I could swear the flesh wound line was in Holy Grail. "I'm not dead" is the line I most associate with Life of Brian. I don't know what the signature line from Meaning of Life is cuz I haven't seen it, which begs the question: How'd I miss that???
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 13 years ago
If you haven't seen Fido yet get it. Calmly funny.

I also watched Superbad recently and thought it was hilarious; however, I'm a guy and related to way too much of the show. I wouldn't recommend it for kids or young teens because I'm in denial about how kids and teens really are, that and as I get older I've forgotten a lot. Perhaps on purpose. As a retrospective of teen life it is funny as heck.

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 12/24/2008).]
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 13 years ago
Tucker, Tucker, Tucker.....

http://www.youtube.com/wa...KhEw7nD9C4

Holy Grail Batman!

Cheers!
FH

Have to add this clip from The Life of Brian:

http://www.youtube.com/wa...loyjm4SOa0

[This message has been edited by Frank Hardy (edited 12/24/2008).]
Posted by Steve Allison (+982) 13 years ago
I believe Frank is correct on the "It's only a flesh wound" being from Holy Grail. It was very near the start of the movie when Arthur battles the Black Knight. Arthur cuts off his arm and when he claims victory, the Black Knight says "It's only a flesh wound, I've be hurt worst before".
supporter
My favorite scene from Holy Grail involves the killer rabbit:

http://www.youtube.com/wa...re=related

I've always thought the inspiration for that scene came from Jimmy Carter's experience when a swimming swamp rabbit attacked his fishing skiff while he was on vacation in Plains, GA. Curiously, the President's secret service was not around at the time, and since international relations were in crisis and the economy was in the tank, rumors of an ingenious "sinister bunny" assassination plot could not be ruled out...

http://www.narsil.org/pol...abbit.html
founder
supporter
OMG! I am soooo disappointed in mice elf. I was thinking about the tiger scene. I completely forgot about. "None Shall Pass"

I stand humbled, red faced and corrected.

I will go promptly to my room and swallow the "Holy Hand Grenade of Gilliad."

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (edited 12/24/2008).]
A classic once a year and every year. I look forware to Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye every year in "White Christmas". To me it never gets old.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 13 years ago
Is there anything worse than Monty Python snobs?
supporter
Bob - There sure as root-tootin' is. And to find out what it is, all you have to do is read the "Arrest Warrants?" thread.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+399) 13 years ago
"That Thing You Do" with Tom Hanks is a really fun movie.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 13 years ago
What? No "A Christmas Story" fans?

Randy lay there like a slug; it was his only defense.

Scott Farkus! He had yellow eyes. So help me, he had yellow eyes!

I triple dog dare ya.

A major prize! A major prize! I won, I won, I won!

Sons of Bitches! Bumpuses!

Oh, fudge!
How could I forget this one as funny and stupid as it might be Blazing Saddles...gotta love it
Posted by Tracey (+16) 13 years ago
Movies for those who like to think and analyze:

25th Hour --This is the story of the last 24 hours Monty Brogan (Edward Norton) gets to spend with his two best friends -- Frank (Barry Pepper), a bonds trader, and Jakob (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a high school English teacher -- and his girlfriend, Naturelle (Rosario Dawson), before he goes to prison for 7 years for pushing heroin. *** Pay attention to the underlying 9/11 themes. The San Francisco Gate called it Spike Lee's love poem to New York. . . a elegy to the post-9/11 city. More than that, a friend explained it as bringing to light all the feelings that come up when we think about that brief post-9/11 time when everyone was in it together, but we blew it.***

Harvey (1950)- Amazing and not what you would expect at all! Affable tippler Elwood P. Dowd (James Stewart) lives with his sister, Veta (Josephine Hull), and her bashful daughter. They hate his drinking, but what rankles them more is his faithful companion: a 6-foot-tall invisible rabbit named Harvey. Elwood's embarrassing flight of fancy is foiling Veta's plans to marry off her daughter, so Veta decides to commit Elwood. But when she confesses she's seen Harvey, the doctor institutionalizes Veta instead!

Broadcast News (1987) - Funny in a complex, confusing, real-life sort of way. In James L. Brooks's Oscar-nominated romantic comedy, three ambitious workaholics are set loose in a network TV newsroom, where their professional and personal lives become hopelessly cross-wired. Anchorman Tom (William Hurt) is smooth, handsome and a bit dumb; Jane (Holly Hunter) is his driven, brilliant producer; and Aaron (Albert Brooks) is a seasoned, uncharismatic reporter who can't stand Tom's instant success on-camera or with Jane.

Wonder Boys (2000) -- An endearing slice of life that centers on an unraveling English professor (Michael Douglas) forced to confront his writer's block, fear of aging and irresponsibility as he watches a student (Tobey Maguire) surpass him. Douglas and cast give powerfully realistic performances in this poignant dramedy. Steven Kloves copped an Oscar nod for his faithful adaptation of Michael Chabon's novel.

American Movie (1999) - In this quirky documentary that won the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival, director Chris Smith chronicles aspiring filmmaker Mark Borchardt's battle to finish his horror flick Coven, despite a lack of just about everything, including sense. Over three years, Smith follows Borchardt's dogged quest, lending encouragement and cash to a motley crew that includes Borchardt's friends, local theater talent and his inimitable Uncle Bill.

Bamboozled (2000) - America loves racism! Director Spike Lee copies from Mel Brooks' oeuvre with this story about a producer whose show is so bad that audiences can't get enough. TV producer Pierre Delacroix (Damon Wayans) becomes frustrated when network brass reject his sitcom idea. Hoping to get fired, Delacroix pitches the worst idea he can think of: a minstrel show. Incredibly, the network airs it; more incredibly, it's a hit!

Short Cuts (1993) - A movie about a lot of things, but the biggest thing is the empty promise of the American Dream. Robert Altman's mosaic masterpiece, based on Raymond Carver's short stories, presents several different characters -- including a baker, a chauffeur, a helicopter pilot, a phone-sex provider, a pool cleaner and a jazz singer -- whose stale lives intersect and are forever altered through simple twists of fate. This moving tale's all-star cast includes Tim Robbins, Madeleine Stowe, Bruce Davison, Andie MacDowell, Jack Lemmon and Anne Archer.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited 12/26/2008).]
supporter
Just watched BUBBLE BOY on Encore. Hilarious... Sort of a combination of PeeWee's Big Adventure and Big Fish. Nothing was safe or sacred (literally), and Swoozie Kurtz was great!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6068) 13 years ago
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist is a great, silly flick. One of all-time faves.
supporter
Too funny - I was just thinking I should have listed Kung Fu Hustle. I could swear it's a documentary though, cuz I once had a landlady who definitely had mastered the Lion's Roar.

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (edited 1/8/2009).]