Posted by Wilbur Cain (+152) 14 years ago
I'm invited to my first cookie exchange. We're each supposed to bring ingredients for 2 cookie or candy recipes. I have never been to a cookie exchange. I can't think of what to bring. I can think of Christmas cookies, but I don't have any cookie cutters. Needless to say there is a female interest involved or I would not be needing help with this. I want a recipe, not a store bought. I want it to be tasty. Can ya give me some ideas and where I can find the recipe?
Wilbur
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+481) 14 years ago
I have a super easy and super rich recipe for shortbread cookies. It uses no cookie cutters and only 3 ingredients.

1 cup (two sticks) real sweet butter (not salted, not imitation butter)
1/2 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
2 cups sifted flour

Soften butter in microwave 15 seconds.
Cream butter and beat in the sugar gradually. Mix in the flour well. Turn the dough out on a baking sheet and pat into a circle about 3/4 inch thick and 7 inches in diameter. Pinch the edge all the way around and prick with a fork. Chill at least 1/2 hour.
Bake shortbread in 375 degree oven 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer.
This will be pale gold, not brown, when done.
When it is still warm, cut in wedges (small ones)
This is extremely rich and disappears fast. Makes 16 small wedges.
Hope this helps!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10255) 14 years ago
1 package of cake mix (any flavor)
1 large egg
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of water - applesauce works good too
1 cup of chopped nuts, raisins, oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chips, whatever you like in your cookies

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine cake mix, egg, oil, and water. Mix by hand until well blended - don't use a mixer. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop by teaspoon about 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes - watch it and don't over bake them. They should still be soft when you take them out of the oven

Makes about 4 dozen.
= = = = = = =

If you like big cookies, use an ice cream scoop to dollop them out and bake them a bit longer.

If the batter seems a little thin, add some extra oatmeal.

You can substitute a quarter cup of mayo, sour cream or yogurt for the oil if you want.

A spice or carrot mix with raisins, nuts, oatmeal and extra spices makes a pretty decent cookie.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 14 years ago
Good luck Wilbur. If the Christmas cookies turn out well, then be sure to come back for recommendations on good Christmas gifts!

Best advice I can offer on that topic: NOTHING that sits on a kitchen counter or is gas powered unless it has a sunroof, a Blaupunkt stereo system and leather seats.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 14 years ago
Have a simple recipe for great peanut butter cookies if you're still looking. No cookie cutters required.
Those recipes are great. I will print them out. I think I can get into cooking. Does anyone have any candy recipes?

I would like the PB recipe Kacey.

Thanks
Wilbur
Posted by Michael Wallick (+21) 14 years ago
Mouse Macaroons

'Twas the night
before Christmas,
when all through
the house
Not a creature was
stirring, not even a
mouse...

1 bag (8 oz.) sliced almonds

1 large egg white

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup chocolate chips, divided

Black licorice laces

Hot cinnamon candies

White tube decorating icing

Heat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Reserve 3 Tbs. sliced almonds for mouse ears, and place remaining almonds in food processor; pulse until finely ground. Add sugar and egg white, and pulse to combine. Melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips, add to mixture, and pulse. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into teardrop shapes; place on baking sheet 10 apart. Bake 25 minutes.

While cookies are still warm, insert 2 almond slices for ears and 1 piece of licorice lace for tail. Let cool completely.

Melt remaining chocolate chips. Dip front of face in melted chocolate, and attach a cinnamon candy for nose. Using icing, pipe 2 eyes. Let set 10 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen.

Copyright c 2002. Reprinted with permission from the December 2002 issue of Parents Magazine.
Posted by RT&JenBo9 (+57) 14 years ago
How about these?
Jose Cuervo Christmas cookies

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups dried fruit
1 (750 ml) bottle tequila (Jose Cuervo or your other
favorite brand)

Directions:

1. Sample the tequila to check quality.
2. Take a large bowl; check the4 tequila again to be sure it is of the highest quality.
3. Pour one level cup tequila and drink.
4. Turn on the electric mixer.
5. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
6. Add on peastoon of sugar.
7. Beat again.
8. At this point it's best to make sure the tequila is still ok, so try another cup just in case.
9. Turn off the mixerer thingy.
10. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
11. Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.
12. Mix on the turner.
13. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
14. Sample the tequila to check for tonsisticity.
15. Next, sift two cups of salt, or something.
16. Who gives a sheet.
17... check the tequila.
18. Add one table.
19. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink.
20. Whatever you can find.
21. Greash the oven.
22. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
23. Dont forget to beat off the turner.
24. Finally, throw the boal through the window, finish the quetila and make sur to put the stove in the wishdasher.
25. Cherry Mistmas!!

supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 14 years ago
If anyone needs any of these recipes professionally evaluated, feel free to send some cookies to my house and I will test them free of charge.
Peanut Butter Cookies

Mix together one cup of white sugar and one cup of brown sugar.
Add two eggs and mix well.
Add one cup of crisco.
Add 3/4 cup of peanut butter.

Make a well in the middle and add 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

Stir the dry ingredients a little so the soda and salt are mixed in.
Then mix into the wet ingredients.

Roll into balls and flatten with a fork. The balls can be any size you want. If your fork gets sticky you can dip it into a little flour as needed.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes. Leave them on the pan for a few minutes after you remove them from the oven so they can set or they'll fall apart.

They are Delicious! I hope you enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Kacey (edited 12/17/2008).]
Here's a recipe for you that's really easy and fast. No baking required.

They're called almond bark cookies, but they're more of a candy.

2 lbs. almond bark
1 cup chunky peanut butter
2 cups miniature marshmallows
12 oz jar dry roasted peanuts
3 cups rice krispies

Put waxed paper on a cookie sheet.

Mix the marshmallows, peanuts and rice krispies together in a large bowl.

Melt the almond bark in the microwave. You'll have to just check on it and stir occasionally until melted. Add the peanut butter. Heat again to melt into the almond bark.

Pour over the dry ingredients.

Drop by spoonfuls onto the waxed paper. Freeze to harden.

After they're frozen you can put them into tins or containers and keep in the refrigerator.
I have a great trick to dress up peanut butter cookies. ( she will be really impressed!)
Dip each end of the finished cookie in melted chocolate, shaking off the excess. Dip into chopped peanuts. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens! To melt the chocolate, nuke at 2 minutes and stir).
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 14 years ago
Wilbur - I'm no cook but these are easy if you follow the directions. They're not exactly healthy but I've never met anyone who didn't think they were the greatest cookies ever.

Keebler Roca Cookies

You will need:
2 quart sauce pan
10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan(like a cookie sheet with walls)
a large cookie rack
a spatula

Keebler graham crackers(other brands don't work as well) - enough to cover the jelly roll pan so the crackers are touching about- 1 1/2 sleeves I think.
1 cube (1/2cup) margarine
1 cube (1/2cup) butter - don't substitute - it has to be butter AND margarine
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 to 1 cup of SLIVERED almonds

Line a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan with the graham crackers broken into sections, to cover the bottom of the jelly roll pan. Set the pan aside.

In a saucepan melt:
1 cube margarine
1 cube butter
1/2 cup sugar
Bring this mixture to a boil(it gets frothy)and let it boil for 5 minutes.
Pour the frothy mixture over the graham crackers, spread if necessary, and sprinkle with SLIVERED(not sliced) almonds.
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 10 minutes - the mixture will darken but don't let it get too brown. Watch closely - they can go from nicely brown to burnt in no time. Remove the sheet from the oven and with a spatula, carefully remove the cookies and place on a cookie rack. Let them cool and harden for a little while. If you do them right, she's yours. You might need an experimental run.

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (edited 12/17/2008).]
Posted by Roni (+27) 14 years ago
Easy recipe:

Ritz crackers
smooth peanut butter
chocolate and/or almond bark
sprinkles

Spread wax paper over cookie sheet or use the counter

Spread peanut butter between two crackers (I usually do the whole box before dipping)

melt bark in microwave

drop "cookie" into melted bark, use two forks-one to flip it and pick it up with the other to scrape extra bark off bottom of the fork, place on wax paper, sprinkle

Let set up (I sometimes set mine outside for a few minutes when it's cold out.) These are one of my favorites! I use leftover bark to cover pretzels!
Someone asked for candy recipes. Here is my famous fudge recipe! This is THE BEST FUDGE you will ever eat! Not only that, but it's pretty much fail resistant if you follow the directions, and it makes FIVE POUND OF FUDGE! I love to give Christmas gifts to just about everyone, so I make several batches of it and give it to almost everyone in town! When my daughter lived with me in California, there were so many depressed people walking around at Christmas, we used to wrap this up and fill the vehicle with it. We would drive around and give it to strangers. This year, more than ever, anything we can do to brighten someone's holiday is important!
I don't have this written down, so bear with me as I try to relate this.

First, get the biggest cooking pot you can find, and the biggest bowl you can find. Butter the bottoms of all the cake pans, pie pans, whatever you have. This is a LOT OF FUDGE!
In the bowl, place two bags of semi-sweet chocolat chips.
In a small dish, soften 2 sticks of real butter. Microwave 15 seconds to soften it,and add this to the chocolate chips. Open a jar of marshmellow cream. Run a large spoon under hot tap water to get the cream out easily. Add this to the stuff in the bowl.

Next, put 4 cups of granulated sugar in your large kettle. Add one can of Pet evaporated milk. Put the gas to medium-high and stir slowly. It will take about 5-7 minutes before it begins to boil. As it begins a big, rolling boil, stir constantly (this is important!) FOR EXACTLY NINE MINUTES! If you are under nine minutes, well, you'll have a wonderful fudge sauce to use over ice cream.
After nine minutes of stirring constantly, pour the sugar/milk over the ingredients in the bowl. Add a teaspoon of vanilla, and a bag or two of walnuts. (or pecans) Stir this all together and pour into the buttered pans.
That's it!
You will LOVE this fudge! Give this fudge to EVERYBODY!
MERRY CHRISTMAS! HO HO HO!!
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 14 years ago
BRAIN COOKIES w/ BLOOD FROSTING:

Ingredients
Brain Cookies:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup very finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
About 5 drops red food coloring
About 9 drops blue food coloring

Blood Glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
35 to 40 drops red food coloring
2 to 4 tablespoons milk, as needed for thinning glaze

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Into a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Alternating with the eggs, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating well after the addition of each. Fold in the nuts, vanilla, and red and blue food coloring, being careful not to overmix the dough. (The food coloring will make the dough a grayish color, resembling the color of brains.)

Place the dough in batches in a potato ricer and push the dough out onto the prepared baking sheets in long tubes of dough. With your fingers, loosely pat and arrange the dough strands into clumps resembling brains, pushing to form 2 hemispheres and shaping into a walnut-like shape. Bake until golden brown on the bottom, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the "blood glaze," in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with the food coloring to make a thick glaze, whisking together. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is a good consistency for drizzling. Drizzle the "blood" onto the cookies and serve either warm or at room temperature.

These are probably better to do around Halloween rather than Christmas..... hoohoohoooohahahaha.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 14 years ago
These are from the King Arthur Flour Cookie book and are easy and yummy.

Chocolate-coconut American Style Biscotti

6 Tbl unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat at 350. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet.
Cream butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and baking powder until mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs. Batter may look curdled. Add flour, chips and coconut and mix until incorporated. Dough will be soft and sticky.

Transfer dough to sheet and shape into rough but even log about 14 inches long and about 2 & 1/2 inches wide. Using damp hands helps prevent sticking. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn oven to 325.

Remove and cool on pan for about 15 minutes. Spray with water and wait 5 minutes. It makes it easier to slice. Slice biscotti about 3/4 inch thick. Spread out on pan so the slices are standing upright. You can slice the biscotti diagonally for the longest cookies or straight across for the shortest ones. Bake for 25 more minutes. Cool. If you want to be fancy you can melt about a cup of chocolate chips and dip the biscotti.

These are pretty easy and look very much like store-bought so they are impressive as gifts. Because they are American style they are more tender than italian biscotti and don't need to be dipped in liquid to be enjoyed.
Which one should I make???? Wow..these are so original. I will be Wilbur Childs.

Cheryl's Shortbread
Hal's Cookies
Michael's Mouse Macaroons
RT's Jose Cuervos
Kacey's PB
Kacey's Almond Bark
Cheryl's Dipped PB
Bob's Keebler Roca
Roni's Ritz PB
Cheryl's Famous Fudge
Chad's Brain Cookies

Definitely need to bring the Cuervo.
We need a ballot. I am thinking we need a MC.com cookbook. Never heard of the brain cookies. That is some cookie. Gray. You don't have a picture of one do you Chad? Let's get that recipe to the coffee shop. Maybe we should donate all the recipes to Cafe Stuga (sp)? That Keebler Roca is very different. Easy. I think I would like to try it. I can't imagine what it tastes like. I am a little worried about cooking the fudge exactly 9 minutes. I would hate to ruin all those ingredients. Well what should I do?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12372) 14 years ago
I am a lousy cook and the only cookie I make is shortbread. I overcook mine intentionally because I like them that way. I may have to try Cheryl's recipe since it sounds even easier than the one I use.

Anyway, shortbread is EASY. To tart it up, dip it in melted chocolate or toss in orange zest or glaze with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Or, if you are me, overcook them so you can't possibly give them away because they look awful and eat them all.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Wilbur,

Forget the cookies and throw together a cake.

Get a good bed of coals going, dig out the Dutch oven and bake a dump cake. Odds are showing your skill at campfire cooking will impress the "female interest involved" more than mere cookies. If nothing else you'll stand out in the crowd at the cookie exchange.

Dump Cake

1 can large can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 can fruit cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
2 sticks of butter, each cut into 12 slices
A goodly handful or two of chopped walnuts

Dump the undrained pineapple into the Dutch oven - spread it out (more or less) evenly.

Using a spoon, dump globs of cherry pie filling (more or less) evenly on top of the pineapple.

Sprinkle the cake mix (more or less) evenly over the cherry and pineapple layers.

Cut butter into slices with a butter knife and place slices (more or less) evenly over cake mix.

Sprinkle nuts on top.

Put the lid on the oven - nestle it in the coals, place a few coals on the lid . . . pretty much follow the same process you would for baking biscuits or bread in a Dutch oven.

It should be done and ready to eat in 50-60 minutes.

Just scoop it out of the pan with a spoon like you would cobbler. It's darned tasty served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

You can do it a regular oven in a regular oven at 350 for 50-60 minutes, if you want. I don't think it's nearly as good though. There's something about the way it steams and bakes in the Dutch oven that makes it taste better.
Hmmm. Great idea. Stand out in the crowd.

I am not on par with these modern cooking terms and want to learn.
What exactly does a Dutch oven look like? Maybe like the wind mill shape without the spinner?

I may have one in the boxes from my ma passing...She was a good cook.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>Maybe like the wind mill shape without the spinner?

Google for it Wilbur - there's a world of information at your finger tips to answer these kinds of questions.
supporter
Indoor Version:

Outdoor Version:

Overpriced French Version:

supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 14 years ago
Overpriced only if you are a cheapskate! The enameled dutch oven is the only way to fly! I own two of them.

$80 and well worth it.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qv...-DutchOven
supporter
I disagree. Well seasoned plain cast iron is a better surface if you ask me, and they only cost $30. The enamel just looks pretty and chips off if you get a cheap one.

The one in my picture is about $220 also.
founder
supporter
sponsor
I'll vote for cast iron - especially for outdoor cooking.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 14 years ago
I have the cast iron outdoors dutch oven with the legs, and I agree that it performs admirably. But it can be a pain to clean - especially if you leave a hungover Bert Elwood to tend to a vension saurbraten cooking on the campfire in it while you take off to go sheep hunting. Not that I would ever do anything so foolish.

The enamel pot, OTOH, is incredibly quick to clean up. Mine (the QVC cheap version) is 8 years old and has no chips or any other flaws, other than a fairly well seasoned exterior bottom from the gas range.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 14 years ago
Another way to mix it up with shortbread is to replace about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the flour with cocoa and add about 1/2 tsp or so of mint extract.
Posted by Matt Hom (+106) 14 years ago
How abouit a recipie for good 'ol regualr Christams cookies? I would love to bake some here over in Germany. And the traditional frosting recipe too?
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+519) 14 years ago
These peanut butter cookies are super simple and really good. Great for kids with a wheat allergy.

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg

mix together and roll into balls a little bigger than an inch, place on cookie sheet and squash with a fork. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Let cool a little before removing from pan so they don't fall apart. Makes two dozen!
Posted by M G (+195) 14 years ago
If your short bread cookies need a little more pop, try misting them from a spray bottle full of lemon juice while they're still warm. Just a mist, don't make'um soggy. It'll be just enough to give a hint of tart. Or, for no hinting, whip up some icing with powdered sugar and lemon juice. I suppose that's good for almost any cookie.

Let us know when it's time to make her dinner, Wilbur.
We're here for ya.

[This message has been edited by M G (edited 12/21/2008).]
For Matt

Amish Sugar Cookies

1 cup oil
1 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375.

1. Cream sugars and margarine.
2. Add oil slowly, then eggs and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients.
4. Refrigerate for half an hour.
5. Roll into balls.
6. Press down.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Traditional sugar cookie frosting.

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food coloring

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Matt these were a holiday favorite in our house when I was kid - but I don't know if they qualify as traditional Christmas cookies.

Molasses Cookies

3/4 vegetable shortening (solid)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white / granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 cup white / granulated sugar - reserved.

Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, white sugar and egg until smooth and, well, creamy, then stir in the molasses.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves, and ginger - mix them well. Slowly blend the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture (do a good job of this) until a stiff dough forms. Cover the dough and chill for at least one hour.

Heat oven to 375 degrees F - 190 degrees C seeing as how you are in Europe ; -)

Scoop out dollops of the dough and roll them between your palms until they round. They should be about the size of a golf ball. Wet your hands with cold water, if the dough sticks to your hands - but if it's well chilled, that shouldn't be a problem.

Roll the balls of dough in the granulated sugar - place them a couple apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (use parchment paper if you have it).

Bake them for about 10 minutes - until the tops crack - don't over bake them - if they come out of the oven soft, you'll have soft and chewy cookies.

You can also roll the dough out and use cookie cutters if you want.
= = = = = = = = = =

Icing / Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 - 4 teaspoons milk
Food coloring (if you want)

Cream together the vanilla, butter, cream cheese and 3 tablespoons of the milk. Then begin adding the powdered sugar. Add the sugar by thirds, it blends easier that way. If need be, add more milk until frosting is smooth, creamy, and spreadable.

You can add chocolate or other flavorings to this as well - but I don't think chocolate would be a good choice for molasses cookies.
My cookie party is over. I brought the Keebler Roca cookie recipe. They were easy and good. Thanks Bob. The lady I was interested in wasn't there. I really like seeing the baking recipes I am reading here. I like that we found out Matt needed a Christmas cookie recipe. Matt if you have time, what is Christmas like in Germany? I have never been out of the country. Montana and Wyoming are my worlds. Though I have ventured to Dakotas occasionally.