It's flippin COLD!
Posted by jkuhl (+83) 13 years ago
I just did something stupid and I need to relate just so everyone that reads this remembers to be careful out there. I went outside without gloves and thought, this isn't so bad! Yeah, it was something like 20 below at the time. Got some snow on my fingers and a few minutes after it melted my fingers started burning and stinging so bad I was just about in tears. I went back inside and was running just lukewarm water over them but it still always felt like fire and I noticed the vein in the knuckle of my wedding ring finger was BLACK! No numbness or anything and now, a few hours later it still looks a little bruisey.
Anywho, my message to all is be careful and don't be an idiot like I was!
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 13 years ago
Gee, and here I thought the 21* temps here in Seattle were cold.
We're all looking forward to the 20 degrees they keep predicting, but the below zero days keep getting stretched out over the forecast.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1495) 13 years ago
Hey, you know we'll think those single digits above zero, predicted by the weekend are warm and tingly.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 13 years ago
An old-time frostbite cure is to stick your tongue onto a flagpole.

Sure makes you forget about your fingers and toes in a hurry.

Go ahead, I triple dog-dare you!

Cheers!
FH
Gosh, we don't have a flagpole anywhere near here. What else could I use?
MRH: Looking on the bright side is always a good idea! I'm nervous though because our practically brand new heater just decided to start fritzing out. My husband did some trick on it and assured me it would be OK, but being a woman I'm still totally freaked out. No guarantees in life, y'know?
Frank Hardy: I just realized that "flag pole" reply might have sounded a little bit naughty! Seriously, it was completely unintentional and now that I think about it, I have no idea what else I thought I could stick my tongue on. Damn, I can't make this sound completely innocent no matter how I say it! Think I'll just go outside and kiss a lamp post. Maybe that'll shut me up for a while. What the hell, it's only -13 right now.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 13 years ago
I was outside Sunday afternoon fixing a frozen stock tank. First I had to put water in it that was not frozen, then when the mass of ice thawed around the edges and bobbed up I had to flip it out. Then I got to change the heater by reaching in and untying it from a screw in the side. When I pulled my hands out of the water I literally watched ice form over my hands in seconds. It was really dang cold, but pretty awesome to see ice form like that over the skin almost instantly.

I started looking around for Mr. Freeze- you know, Batman's nemesis.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 13 years ago
You bet it's cold. Al Gore can kiss my big hairy backside.
supporter
sponsor
jkuhl,

No offense taken. I use MC.com strictly for amusement purposes and rarely if ever feel anything other than cameraderie to the users on here. Usually the most enticing threads to enjoy are those which turn out to be the most controversial in content. But, I must provide you with pictorial input for your flagpole embrace, so here it is:

Easily my favorite Christmas movie of all time.

Cheers and salutations!
FH
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 13 years ago
Speaking of A Christmas Story, I have to ask jkuhl: Did "the trick" your husband used to fix your heater involve the same colorful language that Ralphie's dad used when he would fix their old coal-burning furnace?

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (edited 12/16/2008).]
I love that movie, too! Who doesn't, though? Yeah, there were a couple expletives actually since it was the same problem we'd had with our old furnace. Then he told me to get him a pencil and somehow that magically fixed the problem.
Posted by TERRY STONE (+8) 13 years ago
I did when I was in the 2nd grade at Lincoln. Took the skin right off.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 13 years ago
I was lucky. My brother Luke was nice enough to stick his tongue to a piece of frozen metal in my presence while we were kids so I didn't have to try it for myself.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 13 years ago
Terry that was probably me playing Ralphy and encouraging you to stick your tongue on the pole. I searched the old memory banks and remember something like that in my childhood, man you where a gullible kid Terry.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+403) 13 years ago
Thats just weird. I did that exact thing myself, while at Lincoln School, also in the second grade. Must have been the water in them water fountains. Or most second graders are a little dense? No offense to you second graders out there.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 13 years ago
I love that movie but it always bugs me that they didn't just pour warm water on the pole. His tongue would have come unstuck easily. I know it's part of the humor but geez, it bugs me.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9960) 13 years ago
Frank - do you have the Christmas ornament?
http://www.redriderleglam...iption=yes

That's a great movie.

For years now as the holiday season draws near I've dropped hints about what I want for Christmas . . . haven't gotten it yet. I guess Susan just doesn't share my enthusiasm for and appreciation of fine lighting accessories.

And heck - - it's not like I'm asking for an official Red Ryder Range Model Air Rifle (with a compass in the stock).

[This message has been edited by Hal Neumann (edited 12/17/2008).]
I was in the 3rd grade when I decided to see if the whole thing was really true. I'm a little slower than you guys, I guess. I kissed a lamp post which was on the playground. No one was around but the principal, who just shook his head as I ripped my lips off the cold metal and ran to the bathroom to wash off the blood.
Oh, and way back up to the MRH message at the top of this thread. Today was in the 20's and it DID feel warm and tingly! I was actually sweating with all my winter gear on.
supporter
sponsor
Hal,

I was very pleasantly surprised this year when I spotted one of the lamps in a window while trick or treating with my kids. I commented to the treat giver that I loved it and she said that her husband insisted on getting it and placing it in the front window. Very funny!

Cheers!
FH
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+136) 13 years ago
If you can't find a flagpole, a stop sign works perfectly. Of course you need enough snow to stand on so you can reach it. It worked for me.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9960) 13 years ago
>>I was very pleasantly surprised this year when I spotted one of the lamps in a window while trick or treating with my kids.

Jeez . . . wish I had one in our front window. I don't think I'm going to luck out and get one for Christmas (again) this year. But if I'm really lucky I won't get the bunny suit pajamas.