Ice Skating
supporter
Posted by Sara Erlenbusch (+173) 12 years ago
Speaking of ice skating....does anyone know if there is a time open to the public to take the kids ice skating?

[This message has been edited by Sara Erlenbusch (edited 12/14/2008).]
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 12 years ago
You must be talking about the hockey rink. I don't know what the free skate hours are, but I'm sure there is someone out there that does.

Now, since we're talking about ice, did I ever mention how much I appreciate the city crew and their enduing the cold to make the city rink? Well I do and I hope the snow and cold stay at a level conducive for rink and ice hill building. Think city skating rink.
Posted by Keli A. (+103) 12 years ago
Sara-
If I remember right, the rink is open to the public from 1-4pm on Sunday's. Happy skating!!!
supporter
Posted by Sara Erlenbusch (+173) 12 years ago
Thanks for the info...and I was asking about both of them. I haven't been to either for such a long time, I wasn't sure what was avaialable anymore. But I'm feeling brave and I have an 8 year old who learned to skate on our driveway ice last year. Are both rinks open for the whole winter?
Posted by Keli A. (+103) 12 years ago
Yes, the hockey rink is open all winter. As for the other, I don't know. The hockey rink also has a consession stand, bathrooms, and a place to warm up. "Brave" is what you will need this year with these kinds of temps this year! Hope you and your daughter enjoy skating this year.
founder
Yes. A great picture on the front page of the Miles City Star with one of the hardy city guys out spraying water on the rink!

I can't wait to get out there this year.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 12 years ago
I'm not sure what the charge is at the hockey rink. I don't think it is free. Hours for the warming house at the city rink need to be posted somewhere, too, so folks will know when it is open.

I used to LOVE to ice skate! 35 years and many aching joints ago. . .
Posted by Crash (+122) 12 years ago
Who can I contact to see about the rates and if they have skates available to rent? Thanks!
Still looking for a point of contact that I can call about the public skating at the hockey rink. We'd like to bring a hand full of kids to Miles City to do it. Can you help me out? THANKS!
Posted by Amber (+222) 12 years ago
contact Jason Strouf at Main Street Business. He would have all the info about public skate and has been a great asset the the Miles City Hockey Associtation.
Thank you, Amber. I will call Jason!
Posted by Jon Fadhl (+12) 12 years ago
I have fond memories of skating at the rink back in the 70's when visiting family for the holidays. Nice to see the community still supports this.
Posted by Ord Compton (+11) 12 years ago
I miss skating in the "bowl", the old box car warm house..
Posted by snickers (+819) 12 years ago
Hey Jon I think I remember you. I sent you an email.
founder
I spent lots of time in the old box car warming house, but prefer the new one. Especially with an actual bathroom.

The old city rink is a great place and I can't wait to get out there after Christmas . . . that is if Santa brings me some new skates. My old pair, new in around 1975, finally blew out. I could keep wrapping the ankles in duct tape after the seams went to pot, but when the blade started wobbling, well, that was too much.

How's that ice hill coming Stone?

founder
supporter
Say, where can you get skates sharpened in Miles City? Red Rock? UAS? The old gentleman across the street from me passed away so he can't do it any more.
Posted by Leif Ronning (+64) 12 years ago
This thread made the memories flood back. The bowl is one of my fondest memories. I remember playing hockey with "Papa" Nees in the bowl, that was fun no matter how cold it was. The feeling of glidding on the ice in the quiet & cold is a feeling I will never forget. I wish I was a good poet and could put it in words. I know all "old" people think their time was the best but the days at the bowl would be part of a good argument that ours were! Leif
founder
Right you are about wanting the poetic words to describe skating.

This afternoon (Dec. 23rd) we went down to the city rink -- not in the old bowl, but along the dike behind Denton Field. I can barely remember the bowl for skating (actually, it seems like I remember seeing people skating there, but never hit the ice myself.) The current location is the one I really grew up with and I am happy to report the ice is ready right now.

Good ice at Christmas.

The lower portion of the skating rink is really smooth. The only rough areas are along the edge, which makes sense as the layers of ice are just being built up. Careful around the trees and you'll be fine. Other good news, the ice hills are being built. Both the main hill and the longer run (quasi-parallel to the dike) are ready for sledding. Runner sleds!

It was really fun. Bundle up because the warming house isn't open yet and it is cold.
founder
26ยบ on Christmas Day. Now, that is skating weather.
Posted by Stewart (+149) 12 years ago
can you rent skates at either spot, or is it completely bring your own?
Posted by Amber (+222) 12 years ago
The hockey association rents out skates and can sharpen yours as well. Another option for sharpening would be red rock, good price, friendly service.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 12 years ago
Bart, the bottm ice is ok and the sled run still needs work. This is the first time in years that we have started building the rink this early. It looks pretty good if people would just quit driving there cars and 4x4's on it. The warming house will not be open until after the holidays. Good luck and have a merry Christmas.
founder
supporter
I notice some jackass drove through Wibaux Park and just missed smashing into the Florence Stacy fountain. Bet that would have dinged up the jerk's bumper. What is it with idiots who have drive where they obviously shouldn't?
founder
Christmas Day and it was perfect skating and sledding weather. Best of all, the rink was getting pretty good use. It really was great -- break in the intense cold and no wind. The ice hills were a bit bumpy, but still lots of fun -- especially if you have the old runner sleds. I even got new skates for Christmas. I knew there was a Santa Clause!!!
founder
The warming house is OPEN.

Yes, and today with the afternoon temp. still running in the minus zero range, the warming house was greatly appreciated. Man, there were some hard core ice loving kids sledding. They were there when we arrived and still going strong after we left. I only saw one of them go into warming house -- once. Future Arctic explorer material.