Reminds me of home.....
founder
Posted by KELLY BABCOCK (+187) 13 years ago
It's about 4:30 AM, here in northwestern Montana, and according to Weatherbug, it's -7, with a windchill of -42. It reminds me of growing up in Miles City; brings back some great memories of skating in the "bowl", and warming up in the box car. Every year for Christmas we got new ice skates...

Why is it, that in the process of freezing my a** off, I can get such warm feelings?

I hope everyone makes it safely through the next few days. Stay warm.
Posted by Fred South (+156) 13 years ago
It is going to be about +40 in northwestern IL today, but skating in the Bowl and warming in that boxcar is one of my fondest memories of Miles City.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 13 years ago
I used to sneak over and skate at the bowl whenever I could. I was devastated when they filled it in! I loved the old boxcar. I seemed so warm and cozy compared to outside, which it was! I would go skate when it was ten and twenty below. And that was before the time of thinsulate and down coats which now try and protect my old, cold body!
Posted by MollieP (+137) 13 years ago
I lived across from 'the bowl" during high school , adn for awhile after that, just thought you might be interested to know they still call it the bowl, although not many people understand why!
I have been reminiscing about the bowl. I remember walking over one day when I was about eight and the temperature was twenty below. I was the only one skating that day. I don't know why!!! It was wonderful gliding around the ice without having to look where I was going....or watch out for someone running into me. I did however get royally reamed after I got home. But then...wouldn't you wonder where your child went if it was twenty below? I have been wondering how I walked out of the house without anyone even knowing
Posted by Nancy Wallick (+68) 13 years ago
I went to the Bowl skating all winter long. They would fill the hole by pouring water down the 'road' in the SE corner with a fire hose from the top. It would make a river of ice that we would skate down real fast and climb back up and do it again. Someone always got hurt. We would also hold hands and make a long line of kids. We would skate fast and hard and 'snap' the end of the line so the kids at the end went flying. We had a name for that game that I can't remember. I also remember Joe Kelly was the best at it because he lived across the street and practiced all the time! We also had a game where we held hands and skaters would try to 'break' thru the line. Those two games had a lot of injuries and blood! The warming house was packed with kids. I still have a clear vision of the wood inside and all the kids going in/out. There was an man who worked inside and kept order. If it was open, he was there. I can picture him, but can't remember his name.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 13 years ago
We would skate fast and hard and 'snap' the end of the line so the kids at the end went flying. We had a name for that game that I can't remember.

Nancy - We played that game in Colorado, too. We called it Crack the Whip down there. Is that what you called it up here by any chance?

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (edited 12/14/2008).]
Steve,
We called it Crack the Whip too. As Nancy said, lots of injuries!
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+96) 13 years ago
Just wondering if anyone besides Helen and I have circulation problems with the tips of their fingers now? Helen is sure it comes from getting frostbit while skating. It was worth it!! The skating rink is one of the things I miss most.
We used to go there first thing New Year's Day, right after midnight services. The warming house was not open. We would last about 15 minutes. Then to our house for an all night New Year's Party.
The man who manned the warming house was married to Murphy Powell, redhead cashier at the old Safeway on 7th. Ramona and Syd Powell were his daughters.
Posted by Gene Keller (+46) 13 years ago
Another good skating hole back in the day was a hole where the American Legion is now. They would flood That whole quarter of that block in the winter for skating. Would have been around '55, '56 and '57.