Pomes By A Cow Psychologist now available
founder
Posted by Tamara Beardsley (+33) 13 years ago
Yes, it's spelled right. They're called "pomes" - not "poems." After reading the self-titled creations of Mark Forman, you'll understand that there is a difference.

"Pomes By A Cow Psychologist" by Mark Forman (126 p., Nov 2008, $14.50) is now available for purchase from CreateSpace.com and Amazon.com through www.pomesbymark.com. This newly published collection of poetry was written by an Eastern Montana rancher whose gifts of rhyme continue to draw laughter, grimaces and admiration, even after his death. Forman was killed in a ranch accident in March 2008. He left behind not only many family and friends - but also a lifelong assemblage of poetry written for, and more often about, them.

Although Forman was never one to self-promote his work, those who knew about it or ever received a special "pome" from "The Bard of Knowlton" treasured its value. This book is a combined effort of Forman's wife, Lavonne, and other family and friends to share a side of him many did not have the chance to know.

Forman's college degree was in psychology, and the spectrum between his education and vocation contributed to the wide variety of genre showcased in "Pomes By A Cow Psychologist."

Pieces like "I Ain't No Damn Cowboy" reverberate a solemn side of ranch life. Others such as "The Heroes" are kindly irreverent tributes to the folly of friends. And some, like "No Wonder," written for Forman's mother on Mother's Day, were crafted for birthday and special occasion cards.

Accompanying many of the pomes are illustrations by Rod Rainey, a lifelong friend of the Forman family. A moving introduction by Forman's son Levi and tributes composed by other family and friends depict a poet whose work will be missed, but now enjoyed by a much larger audience.

"Pomes By A Cow Psychologist" is published through CreateSpace.com, a subsidiary of Amazon.com. Ordering links and page samples are available at www.pomesbymark.com.

For more information, contact Tamara Beardsley Choat at 402.430.3656 or [email protected]

http://www.pomesbymark.com
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 13 years ago
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+402) 13 years ago
Tamara -
Lavonne delivered my copies to me today. I started reading it and I can't hardly put it down. Thanks to all of you involved in getting this published. What a wonderful book of "Pomes" by a great great man. Mark is greatly missed by all of us that knew him. I'm sure Mark is smiling down on us as we read each and every one of his pomes. Thanks for sharing them with all of us.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3831) 13 years ago
Buy this book. You will not regret it.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 13 years ago
We are thrilled with the way it came out. It's great that all those poems are out where people can read them instead of collecting dust in a file cabinet. Much thanks to everyone that helped putting it together. In particular Tamara without whom it very likely would never have happened. There is also a great foreword by Mr. Tucker Bolton.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1416) 13 years ago
Cool! Wish this could have happened when we could all share our appreciation with him. The guy was magic with the pome.
Posted by RA (+646) 13 years ago
Can you tell me if Mark's Book of Pomes are available in Miles City? or Billings?
supporter
I haven't gotten that added to the site yet but they should be currently available at Riggs Camera and Gifts and Unique Creations, while supplies last.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 13 years ago
Levi: Great job on the Website. I love the picture of your Dad feeding the livestock. The background is gorgeous and frankly, the background makes me a little "homesick". There certainly is no place like the Pine Hills. Best wishes with the book. It is on my Christmas wish list.
supporter
Thanks Richard. The background pic was taken a couple years ago by some outfit that flies around taking aerial pictures of ranches and then selling them door to door. It was kind of spendy but I love the shot. I look at it almost every day. The bull picture was taken by our friend Jill Hildebrand only 2 weeks before Dad died. I have really enjoyed both pictures.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 13 years ago
Levi:

Your intro is wonderful.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1528) 13 years ago
"Buy this book. You will not regret it."

Yes Tucker I agree! I've just about finished reading the copy I bought Friday evening, and I've enjoyed it thoroughly.
supporter
Thanks Bob
founder
RA, the book is available in Miles City and online through CreateSpace.com and Amazon.com. You can get overnight or rushed shipping from Amazon.com.

Do you have any particular locations you think would be good to have these in Billings? We can try and get them placed!

Tamara
Posted by Barbara Hoover (+51) 13 years ago
Levi,
What a wonderful tribute to you dad and our friend and neighbor. I just ordered some books to send to mom and dad in arizona. Thanks to all that helped put this book together.
founder
supporter
I had a coffee with LaVonne yesterday and wanted to let you know that Riggs Camera and Gift is not out of Books. They received a new batch a couple days ago. Get em' while they're hot.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2742) 13 years ago
I'm heading down to Riggs today to pick up a few copies - one for myself and a couple more to send as Christmas presents to ex-cowfolk who now live in big cities. Mark's pomes sound like the perfect elixir for the pains that afflict folks suffering from urbanization.

Levi - the tribute you wrote to your father (posted on the website) and the things said about him on this thread make me deeply regret that I never had the opportunity to meet the man. I'm sure he is pleased to the core to be remembered so fondly -- and probably more than a little surprised given that it appears he was the humble sort.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 13 years ago
I spent part of Saturday reading this book. It is very entertaining, thought provoking, and nostalgic. (I found myself back in my youth riding a little gray horse we called "rony pony" all over the Pine Hills).

I suspect part of what makes the book so funny is some personal knowledge of the subjects "er victims". I wish I had the opportunity to meet Mark. I thought one of the funniest pieces was the "bill" from the "Forman Vet Clinic", and the "Charge for telling story to snoopy Herzogs...$13.33". (I am not sure that was enough.) It was a great way to spend part of a snowy afternoon.

Levi: the tribute you wrote is very well done and very touching. Did your dad happen to write any pomes for/about the Ogdahls?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 12/29/2008).]
Posted by snickers (+818) 13 years ago
http://www.billingsgazett...3-poet.txt
Family shares patriarch's 'pomes'
founder
Great video of Levi Forman reading one of his Dad's "pomes," also on the Billings Gazette site:

http://videos.billingsgaz...id=2706181

[This message has been edited by Tamara Beardsley (edited 1/8/2009).]
founder
supporter
Snickers, Thank you for sharing this article. I am so happy to see Mark and his family get the credit they are due.

I think of Mark often and will always miss him. He not only wrote pomes but was quite the filosofer. How comforting to have this written tribute as a reminder. I envision many a grizzled, weary, rancher reading this book and going to sleep with a knowing smile as well as city slickers, like me having a better understanding of the real stewards of the land.

Anyone that knew Mark is a better person for their association with this talented, self refacing gentleman. I am still p offed at his untimely departure.