19 year old fell into the river
Posted by Jim B (+232) 13 years ago
Has anyone heard anything about the 19 year old male who
fell into the river about noon today?
Posted by TK (+1623) 13 years ago
The only thing I heard was that they can't find the person or a body. Is this true?
Posted by Linda L. (+75) 13 years ago
As of 3:00 this afternoon, they were still searching.
Posted by Mayor (+138) 13 years ago
Miles City Fire & Rescue responded to an emergency call at approximately 11:45 a.m. reporting that a man had slipped from the riprap just beyond the confluence into the Yellowstone River and had disappeared from view. MCFR initiated a water rescue operation but called in other agencies for support, including MCPD, the Custer Co. Sheriff, MT. Highway Patrol and Fish, Wildlife & Parks.

Incident command was transferred to the Sheriff early in the afternoon and the response has shifted from search & rescue to a recovery operation. Because both the recovery and incident investigation are evolving quickly, there may not be a full operational briefing until at least tomorrow.

The press was on the scene throughout the afternoon though the incident occurred after press time. Details will be available as they become available through normal media channels. Please refrain from making non-emergency calls to central dispatch during this operational period.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 13 years ago
I just wanna know if they've confirmed it was actually someone or if it was just a 911 call.
Posted by TALBOT (+251) 13 years ago
At the risk of being called insensitive or being called an A-hole..........does anybody have any more information on this case?
supporter
Posted by VictoriaLynn (+282) 13 years ago
Go down to the river. Since yesterday, there are boats, searchers, etc. Today the same. An airplane flying over.

It's about as real as real gets. Pray for him.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1795) 13 years ago
gosh, between the murder-suicide that just happened and now this I'm really bummed...and I WILL offer my prayers to all who are impacted by these tragic events.
Posted by jessiker (+291) 13 years ago
Does anyone know who it was? I have a little brother there that just turned 20, and I'd hate to find out it was someone he was friends with. No matter what, my thoughts and prayers are with their loved ones.
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+320) 13 years ago
More information, including a name, is on the KTVQ website.
supporter
Mayor,
Your post is completely different from KTVQ:

Custer County officials were searching for a Miles City man, who was swept up by the Yellowstone River.

Authorities say they received a call around 11:30 Wednesday morning that a 19-year-old man was in the river.

Law enforcement and emergency crews responded and searched the river for Eddie Wittenberg.

The Custer County Sheriff's office said it appears Wittenberg, his brother and friend were in a car and went off the dam and entered the Tongue River.

The car didn't make it across the river and the three got out, but just two of the men made it back to shore.

Wittenberg is believed to have been swept into the Yellowstone River and was last seen wearing blue jeans and a green sweatshirt.

Crews were unable to find him on Wednesday, and on Thursday, the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks along with the sheriff's department continued the search and located the car.

The search is continuing for Wittenberg and authorities have plans to resume the search for him Friday.
supporter
If I violated the rules of not putting a person's name on......I apoligize. I had copied and pasted from the KTVQ site and sent before I thought about removing the victim's name.
I figure as long as it's a fact, putting a name out there with the basic information isn't really harming anything. I knew Eddie, and was friends with his brother for quite a while. That's so sad.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1795) 13 years ago
It shouldn't be a violation. Once the family has been notified the info is released to the media and it becomes a matter of public record.

I didn't know Eddie myself, but am nonetheless sorry this happened. You hate to see this happen to anyone, but you especially hate to see it during the holidays. My prayers continue to go out to his family, friends, and ALSO to the loved ones of Catherine Woods and Justin Schiller. It's really sad when young ones die.
Posted by Ben Hughes (+21) 13 years ago
Sounds like the Mayor has a pretty good understanding of the Incident Command System.
supporter
In fairness to the mayor.......I believe he reported what was initially reported. Sounds like things have changed and went a different direction.

I thank the mayor for his reporting to let us know situations as they unfold. It is considerate of him to take the time. Thanks!
Posted by Jeff Newby (+151) 13 years ago
Its ok TALBOT I wont call you an A--hole for asking questions respectfully like some people do

[This message has been edited by Jeff Newby (edited 11/28/2008).]
I agree - Mr. Mayor is really considerate to post on here and let people know what the facts are, instead of the crazy rumors that get started. Not living in Miles City, it makes a big difference to know the real story - thank you.
Posted by JOE WHALEN (+613) 13 years ago
Jessiker:

Thank you for your comment on milescity.com re: the Whittenberg drowning. There are now over 1,000 registered members of milescity.com so it's a good way to put accurate incident information online in an effort to keep rumors under control. Not everyone appreciates it. I'm glad that you do. - Joe
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 13 years ago
Appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 11/28/2008).]
Posted by eeyoor (+49) 13 years ago
My prayers go out to the family and friends of this young man
Posted by Brian (+361) 13 years ago
I knew Eddie from my days working at the pawn shop. We always talked video games and music. I feel bad for his parents and his brothers.
Posted by Don Muir (+21) 13 years ago
How VERY UNPROFESSIONAL for the mayor of a town or city to post on this or any other non- gov. website! He/She should use the city/town website to post!
Posted by Brian (+361) 13 years ago
Don, maybe you should take your angry little message to a different thread. This is about a poor soul who fell into the river, not a chance to slam the mayor.

Here's to ya', Eddie. Sorry we never got a chance to play that game of Battlegrounds.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 13 years ago
Don - I hope you're being cutesy or something - otherwise I'm going to have to use the word "idiot" and I really don't like doing that.

It's important to make information available where people are most likely to see or hear it. If elected officials limited themselves to the "professional" outlets for communicating with the citizens, then you and everyone else would have to go to the Legal Notices section of the classified ads to retreive the "official version" because that's all most State statutes require.

Also, there wouldn't even be a city website without the incredible personal effort put forth by Mayor Whalen and Councilman Tony Ackerman.

It's amazing how churlish some people can be when gratitude - or at least a little respect - is what's called for.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 13 years ago
The grief of a parent losing a child is unfathomable, and it doesn't matter what age. So, to Eddie's parents and all others who have lost children, my deepest sympathies. May God be with you all.
Posted by Don Muir (+21) 13 years ago
My Condolences to the family of that young man who drowned. I apologize for posting the Mayor thread here!
Aloha
supporter
Thank you to our Mayor that takes his time to keep us informed. He gives us accurate details - as they unfold - and prevents a lot of gossip.

KTVQ reported the updated details without mentioning the orginial story reported. I have apoligized to the Mayor for my rude comment. I think we should all appreciate what he does for the people of Miles City.

God Bless and be with Eddie's family during this very sad time.
Victoria
Posted by Tony Ackerman (+189) 13 years ago
"Also, there wouldn't even be a city website without the incredible personal effort put forth by Mayor Whalen and Councilman Tony Ackerman. "

While I appreciate the inclusion Steve, the City web site was the Mayor's effort and work. Just giving credit to where it's due.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Ackerman (edited 12/1/2008).]
Posted by Samantha (+115) 12 years ago
Has anyone heard if they will resume the search for Eddie anytime soon since the ice has melted?
Posted by angelsfy (+426) 12 years ago
according to the miles city paper tonight may4,2009 there was another boy missing last may 2008.......does anybody remeber his name?
Posted by Jody K (+107) 12 years ago
The paper said an agate hunter found a body. They think it is either Eddie or this 15 year old boy. The paper said the 15 year old was from Yellowstone County.
ok tys
Posted by LINDA MERCHANT (+8) 12 years ago
TO ALL THAT HAVE SAID PRAYERS,CALLED,LEFT FOOD.THIS IS MY SISTERS CHILD.ONE YEAR AGO AROUND THE SAME TIME MY DAUGHTER WAS KILLED IN A WRECK.THIS IS ESPECIALLY HARD NOT KNOWING WHERE HE IS.I WILL LOOK FOR MY SISTER UNTIL THIS IS SETTLED.THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE SO MUCH.
my daughter and son-in-law are friends of eddie's and have since moved out of town...so i try to keep them updated as much as i can.....i Don't even know how to began to feel or know how a person can deal with a loss of a child...i have a co-worker dealing with a death of her son and i can see and feel her loss ...all i can do is pray and ask if there is anything i can do to help in anyway...
anyway.......thanks and God Bless.........
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1795) 12 years ago
The Gazette now says it has been confirmed - Eddie's body is the one the agate hunter found:

http://www.billingsgazett...escity.txt

Now, at least, the family can have some sense of closure. Once again, may he rest in peace.
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+478) 12 years ago
I work with Eddies Mom, I know first hand how hard this has been for her and her family. I pray that this will finally bring some peace and closure for them. I can't imagine going through what they have the past 5 months. God Bless you and your family Mary Lou. May you rest in Peace Eddie.
Posted by Ang (+447) 12 years ago
Eddie and I were the best of friends growing up, together from kindergarten until we got split up in 5th grade, spending most of our time playing video games or harassing his brothers. I just want to say thank you to everyone for the support. It means a lot to all his friends and family.