Cowboys vs. Central- state chipper
Posted by Slosh (+699) 13 years ago
I'm so excited for this game, I can't hardly contain it. The worst part, waiting 3+ days for kickoff and knowing it's the last game of the year.

I'll throw some sweet stats at you later once I get the BC stats.

How is everyone else feeling about this game.

And of course, don't forget about Cowgirl volleyball.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1594) 13 years ago
Slosh, I was thinking the same thing on my drive home from Helena today. I am like a little kid at Christmas waiting for a bebe gun.
Stone you're right. Sarah and the girls are excited for Christmas, I'm excited for Daylis.

Since I wasn't around for the 03 title game (I started at the Star the next year), how does the excitement for this team compare to back then?
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4461) 13 years ago
I don't think the '03 team made the final. They were good enough to. OT to Dillon (who went on to win it all) ended the run though. Must've been the semifinal.
Rick, you're close. In 2003, the Cowboys reached the title game against Dillon and lost. It was Coach Rohloff's final game and one that many in town believe was lost due to the infamous "Butte Refs."

The game you're thinking of was in 2005, when Kyle Begger, Pat Regan, Brandon Sandau and Jess Fuhrman (among others) were seniors. The Cowboys lost in triple overtime to Dillon at home in the quarterfinals. Dillon won the state title that year.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1891) 13 years ago
I think the Pokes will take'em. Wish I lived on that end of the state.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+400) 13 years ago
Come on Bob. Billings is not too far from anywhere in Montana. Make the drive, cheer on the Boys. and spend the night in Billings. I am going, although only from Bozeman, but returning after the game so I don't miss the entire weekend of bird hunting. One never knows when, or if we will get to see this again. These kids worked their collective ass off this year, and deserve our support on Saturday. Best wishes from afar will be appreciated I'm sure, but we need to pack the place with Cowboy fans.
supporter
Huh. Maybe my memory is that bad. You're right about '05 now that I think about it.

Don't know how I would've forgotten what happened in '03 though. I was here in town. Was that still a 12-team playoff back then?
supporter
Come on Bob, it's only 5 hours or so.

I'll buy you a beer.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 11/18/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Cindy (+384) 13 years ago
I'm going to throw this into this thread, mainly because Slosh brought up the following two names: Pat Regan and Jess Fuhrman. Both are still playing football and will be playing AGAINST each other this Saturday in Helena. The Dickinson State Blue Hawks (where Jess plays) will be playing the Carroll Saints (where Pat plays)in the first round of the NAIA playoffs.

We will be traveling to Helena for that game so will unfortunately miss the Cowboy game But we'll be cheering for the Cowboys and will receive updates on the score via text messages.

Good Luck this weekend Cowboys! Bring the State Title home!

And Good Luck to the DSU Bluehawks! We look forward to a great game in Helena! Go Hawks!!!

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 11/19/2008).]
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6118) 13 years ago
Rick - the current playoff format began with the 2002 season (when an undefeated Cowboy team had to go to Havre to face the 7-3 Blue Ponies in the worst conditions I've ever experienced).

The 2003 team was as good as any team MC has ever had. There are a lot of memorable playoff meetings between MC and Dillon (2000 quarterfinals - 17-14, Dillon; 2003 championship - 19-15, Dillon; 2005 quarterfinals - 24-21, Dillon (triple OT)), but the 2003 game has to be the biggest gut-wrencher.
I've been watching the Gazette Prep Sports blogs - there's been a lot of sniping between Dillon parents and BC parents, and as much as I've wanted to jump in (on Dillon's side), I haven't.

Most fans of CCDHS athletics already know many of the unfortunate realities of BC fans/parents. I say we (meaning anyone who posts on milescity.com and the GPS blogs) take the high road when it comes to the upcoming game. Let them talk smack and eat silence in return.

I'm not going to post anything on the GPS blogs (even if it kills me). BC fans have already asked why "everyone hates on BC ... is it because BC wins all the time at everything?" (uh, no ... it's the arrogance/self-righteousness) and "who are the Cowboys going to blame if BC wins?"

The Cowboys have proven themselves all season long that they are more than capable of answering the questions asked by their opponents' parents/fans' questions. We fans and parents don't need to talk trash - showing up at Daylis on Saturday with just as many fans as BC has (like we did for the last game) will speak loudly enough, especially as we're cheering for the Cowboys.

Good luck this weekend, Cowboys! Safe travel to everyone coming to Billings.

G.O.M.F., Central!

(Note - Havre was 6-3 before the 2002 game).

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 11/19/2008).]
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+132) 13 years ago
Is this game broadcast via the internet?
Posted by Blayne W. (+55) 13 years ago
katl will have the game online too on their website. Rob Stanton, former Cowboy coach and brother to both head coaches, is doing the color commentary with Rocky Erickson.
Matt, Rick - I'm in Missoula and I have to work late Friday night. To top it off, Cat-Griz is here and I don't have tickets. I'll just have to cry in my beer. Until then....Go Cowboys!!!! Go Bobcats!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (edited 11/20/2008).]
Posted by mule train (+1054) 13 years ago
There will be only one team in blue and gold that will be celebrating on Saturday and it won't be the kittens.
Posted by Jim B (+230) 13 years ago
Blue & Gold.

Bobcats
Cowboys
Longhorns

The Beasts of the East!!

(well the Bobcats are east of Missoula)

[This message has been edited by Jim B (edited 11/20/2008).]
I have tickets to Cat-Griz - Good seats - section 108. It helps to know people.
I've been downstairs researching the past state championship games that the Cowboys have been involved in and came across something kinda cool.

This will not be the first time that a Custer County coach will be facing his brother in the state championship game.

Back in 1928, the Cowboys (not sure if they were called the Cowboys yet, all I can find is the "Custer boys".) were coached by a guy named "Jiggs" Dahlberg. In the championship game, Jiggs Dahlberg and the Custer Boys faced Butte, who was coached by "Swede" Dahlberg.

In 1928, the Cowboys actually lost the inter-sectional playoff (basically the state semi-finals). The Cowboys were the champions of the East and played against Billings, the champions of the South. The Cowboys beat Billings earlier in the year 7-0. But in the inter-sectional playoffs, Billings beat the Cowboys 20-13 (Billings was the only school that scored against the Cowboys at that point of the year.)

But, as was tradition back in those days, Butte (Actually the State School of Mines or now Montana Tech) hosted the state championship game on Thanksgiving.

Billings was upset about this arrangement and wanted the game moved to Billings. Butte obviously refused and so Billings forfeited the game and thus, the Cowboys went into the championship game against Butte.

Oh, and the result? Jiggs Dahlberg and the Custer Boys upset Swede Dahlberg's Butte boys 20-6. Butte was undefeated going into the game.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+400) 13 years ago
I hear ya Bob. I was just giving ya the biz. I know everybody can't make the game. At least you are cheering for both blue and gold teams. Go Cowboys............and Go Cats!
It won't be long now. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Luckilly, we're all more nervous than the boys are.
Everyone drive safely tomorrow. Good luck tomorrow, Cowboys.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1594) 13 years ago
Slosh, great article in the paper tonight. For that matter good stuff all week long.
Brian, I got my Cowboy tube socks ready.
Good Luck Cowboys-Love Guns kick some a--.
Thanks Stone. This was a fun week. Today's was a lot of fun, looking back at the old teams. I started running out of gas around 1993.
I hope they give updates at Cat-Griz tomorrow. Generally, in Missoula, not much attention is paid to anything east of Helena.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1792) 13 years ago
BUMP: so far, so good! Cowboys lead 14-0 in the second quarter...sounds like that newly-discovered passing game is working for Miles City.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+132) 13 years ago
thanks for the update. the radio link isn't working for me.
Posted by Cynthia A. (+195) 13 years ago
rock on cowboys! 8 minutes left to play and I believe we are at 20 to zip. ROCK ON!
Posted by Gwen Gunther (+111) 13 years ago
Cowboys 20 to zip in the 4th... just intercepted. GO COWBOYS!!!
supporter
NOT OVER YET - Central just scored and recovered the onside kick...20-7, but less than 4 minutes left....
supporter
...AAAANNNND, THAT'S IT!!!

STATE CHAMPIONS!!! 20-7!!! Central had one more chance for points, but got sacked on 4th down.

WAY TO GO COWBOYS!!!!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17954) 13 years ago
YEEE HAAAWWW COOTER!!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+373) 13 years ago
CONGRADS COWBOYS!
Posted by Barbara Hoover (+51) 13 years ago
Congradulations cowboys on the blowout
Juuuuuuuust a little bit of a turn-around from last year.
The Cowboys' defense was absolutely outstanding - BC couldn't do anything at all nearly all game. Most of the yards Central got were on short passes when MC was in a bit of a prevent mode in the fourth quarter. The Cowboys just owned the Rams.

It was great to see so many Miles City fans at Daylis - I think there were just as many of "us" as there were of "them." So refreshing to see BC as humbled as they were.

Congratulations, Cowboys! You've won more football games this season than any MC team ever has.

Have a safe trip home!
A little salve on the griz claw-marks.
Posted by Cynthia A. (+195) 13 years ago
ROCK ON COWBOYS! I love this community and the support they show for their kids! WTG Miles City!