Humphrey Griffith
founder
Posted by Bev Buell (+9) 19 years ago
I am looking for information about H. Griffith who lived in Hillcrest, Mpntana from about 1907 until his death in 1931. He was a sheep rancher. Where can I find the legal records for Hillcrest? He died at Holy Rosary Hospital and his funeral service was held at the Assembly of God Church in Hillcrest.

I am Bev Buell. Mr Griffith was the brother of my grandfather, Thomas Jones of Waterville, New York.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 19 years ago
I'm not familiar with a Montana town by the name of Hillcrest. Anyone else?

- Dave
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+360) 19 years ago
It would appear that Hillcrest was on Deadman Creek about 15 miles north of Miles City. It had a post office from 1915 until 1935.

Humphrey Griffith homesteaded in township 10N, range 46E, in the same section that the Hillcrest post office was in.

Humphrey is buried in the cemetary at Miles City. There is also a listing for Mrs. H. Griffith but no dates given. Perhaps she had her name carved in it when her husband died, but by the time of her death had moved away. Or maybe there was no one left around to see to it that the dates were carved in when she died.

Any records would be in the court house in Miles City (Custer County.) There might have been an Assembly of God mission at Hillcrest, but it is more likely that it was the Miles City Church.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 19 years ago
Wow, great info. Jack! Nice work.
founder
Jack: Thanks millions!! I will be in Miles City about mid-June to visit the courthouse and visit the cemetary. Again, I am very greatful for your attention.

Thanks. Bev Buell
founder
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. all to often these e-mail requests fall in deaf ears. I also got a reply from Jack McRae. We will be in Miles City in June to contiue our research.

Thanks, Bev Buell