Scariest Movie Ever
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1284) 13 years ago
In the spirit of Halloween I thought a scariest movie ever thread would be appropriate. So help me if Kacey says the Palin/Couric interview I'm done trying.

I really haven't been scared by a movie in many years although there has been some good ones and some scary ones. I have to go way back to the original (1956) Invasion of the Body Snatchers which had me looking in closets and under beds for weeks after seeing it when I was a kid. I still can't watch it without remembering the terror it struck in me as a young man. Another very scary movie was Vincent Price in (1964) The Last Man on Earth.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Schott (edited 10/30/2008).]
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 13 years ago
Jacob's Ladder (1990):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/

The Omen (I'm not sure which one, but here's the first from 1976):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075005/
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 13 years ago
I used to watch Nightmare Theatre. I'm sure you must remember it Chuck. At that time I thought they were all scary!

I would have to say "The Shining" is the top of my list right now.
admin
founder
> I would have to say "The Shining" is the top of my list right now.

You know, I was thinking of that one too. The original was quite frightening. I don't know why they keep remaking almost perfect films into horrible copies.

The Shining (1980):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/
Posted by ABC (+381) 13 years ago
The Shining. As much as I liked Nicholson in the original, I do have to admit the mini-series the SciFi Channel produced was much better and closer to the book.

ABC

Forgot to mention that I had to walk home from the late show in the snow and cold. Not fun immediately after seeing it.

[This message has been edited by ABC (edited 10/30/2008).]
Posted by Jamie and JoDean (+378) 13 years ago
BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 13 years ago
The Wizard of Oz scared a lot of kids...the wicked witch and the flying monkeys!
admin
founder
ABC said:

> The Shining. As much as I liked Nicholson in the original, I do have to admit the mini-series the SciFi Channel produced was much better and closer to the book.

Is this the same remake that had that guy from the sitcom "Wings" in the role of Jack? Or is this a different remake?

If it's the same one, while perhaps being closer to the book (and I didn't read the book), it didn't scare me. If it's a different one, then perhaps I'll have to check it out.

Psycho is another movie that has been remade about a bazillion times.

Psycho (1960):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054215/
Posted by Amber (+223) 13 years ago
I can't really define the scariest movie ever, I'm not scared very easily. But I must say that any movie that is based on true events is spine tingling.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 13 years ago
For me a scary movie is one that ***** with the actors (and by extension the viewers) minds and for that I offer the following:

Saw
Friday The 13th (This STILL scares the hell out of me if I watch in the dark alone)
Duel (Steven Spielberg)

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 10/30/2008).]
founder
Posted by Chad (+1763) 13 years ago
I won't say any single movie is the scariest ever. I also am not easily scared. Where I grew up, Creature Features was on Saturday nights at 11:00 PM. I started watching horror and sci-fi shows when I was in 2nd grade and still love them to this day.

I did really like:

28 Days Later; Jaws; Aliens; The Exorcist; The Thing (not the old 50's one, but the 80's one); An American Werewolf In London; Halloween (that broke some new ground); Silence of the Lambs; Sphere; Night of the Living Dead (the old one). Add the cameo with Dan Akroyd from Twilight Zone- that was good.

http://video.google.com/...N&tab=iv#

Funny (true) story: I was in 6th grade and up after midnight one Saturday watching Creature features- the 60's "Night of the Living Dead" was on and a friend and I were way into the show. Our living room had a TV against one wall and a wall of glass opposite; a couch and a chair were backed up to the glass without any curtains. After about an hour of the show went by we were glued to the tube and the tension was thick. All of a sudden this naked dude slams up against the living room window banging on the glass and screaming. I about messed my self- I may have wet myself. It turned out to be my mom's boyfriend; he slipped out the back door and scared the whiz out of us when he saw how psyched out we were by the movie. Damn that was scary! ATNS!

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 10/30/2008).]
Here is the top ten according to a movie critic, Psycho was his #1 pick. Attaboy Larry.

http://www.livescience.co...ies-1.html

I forgot about the Blair Witch Project it was indeed a scary modern day movie. And Kacey is right those flippin flying monkeys scared the p-wad out of me, still do.

The Shinning, Jacobs ladder, Exorcist all made the top ten on this list with another tense thriller I had forgotten Brad Pitt in Seven.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Schott (edited 10/30/2008).]
Posted by ABC (+381) 13 years ago
Webmaster, you are correct. It was the Wings guy who played Jack. It definitely wasn't as scarey, but then again I was older and didn't have to walk home in the snow. <G>

ABC
Posted by GVC (+515) 13 years ago
Rosemary's Baby
Psycho
Halloween
28 Days Later
Jaws
Alien
Poltergeist (I know, I know, but clowns still creep me out to this day)
Phantasm? I have a vague memory of scary balls flying around

Can't stand torture flicks like Saw. Torture's not scary, just cringe-inducing.

gvc's wife
Actually GVC I would classify the first Saw movie as more of a mind thriller than a gore flick. The rest of them certainly, but the first one is more of a mind-**** with Carey Elwes and the other guy being tied to each other.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+385) 13 years ago
There's a recent movie that just came out on video last week called "The Strangers". It was based on a true story and while it's not "make your shoes fly off" kinda scary, watch it in the dark with the surround sound turned up. I bet you jump at least once. Not bad for a present day "scary movie"
Posted by Mary McClarty (+81) 13 years ago
Cujo
Silver Bullet

YIKES!!
I'll chime in again with Whatever Happened To Baby Jane

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 10/30/2008).]
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 13 years ago
If you want to watch one very, very, very scary show that has no real violence or gore, I have the title for you. In fact, I would be interested in how many have seen it. The name is . . . ah, is . . . ack . . . cough ...
founder
Just kidding.

The movie is "The Woman in Black."
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 13 years ago
The plot to the scariest movie ever goes like this: Boy gets new calculator for Christmas, back when the yellow slide rule was the rage. Boy gets into argument with nun/science teacher about the appropriate number of decimal places (significant digits) in question on chemistry quiz, as the class looks on. There is a stand off as the nun towers over the boy. Boy realizes that he is about to spend rest of life in the chimney of asbestos ladened chemical hood, lose some "significant digits" from the nun with a ruler or worse yet lose his life. Boy gives up argument and survives chemistry class for the rest of the year.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 10/30/2008).]
founder
Yes, and the boy's skeleton still hangs and haunts the lab to ... this ... very ... day.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 13 years ago
One of the scariest movies I saw as a child was "Invaders from Mars" (1953). It's not really a scary movie (nor a good one for that matter), but I wasn't old enough to understand that it was just a movie and not for real. The thought of it happening to me & my family was scary : -)

I'm not of a fan of the scary movie genre, so that's the best I have to contribute - I'm not much of fan of horror novels either, so I've got nothing there either ; -) Probably the scariest piece of fiction I've read is a psycho killer novel by James Elroy called "Killer on the Road." It had me jumpy nervous the night I read it - and I was a growed man in my 40s at the time.
Posted by TK (+1623) 13 years ago
Ok, I scare fairly easily and don't really care for too many scary movies, but there are a few I like.

However, when we rented I Am Legend with Will Smith----YEAH---that's one I will NEVER watch again! We watched it when it first came out and cripes--I still have nightmares---and I can't shut lights off when we go to bed--I have to actually go to bed and then have my husband come in and shut the light off! Or I have to turn on the light on my headboard post, then turn off the ceiling light, get into bed and then turn the light off. Can't go to sleep in a dark room either anymore--we have a TV in our room and I have to go to sleep with it on (or be so dead tired that I don't care about lights or TV and know I'll crash the minute my head touches the pillow!) LOL
founder
Hal,

Too bad you can't go for a little ride with my wife and I -- you wouldn't have to watch the movie.

Before I saw "The Woman in Black" my wife told me about this movie she had watched with her sister. We were driving back from a visit with the Grandma in Glasgow, at night, dark night, dark creepy night, on the Van Norman cut across -- you know the dirt road short cut from Rock Springs to hwy. 200.

Sometimes a good story teller's version is better than the movie.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1334) 13 years ago
The Grudge totally creeped me out. Even creepier than Glendive.
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+281) 13 years ago
The Legend of Hell House.
Posted by K. D. (+362) 13 years ago
I still get nightmares from "Barney: Night Before Christmas". All I dream is purple.

Seriously though, "Communion" with Christopher Walken, scared the hell out me when I was about 11. I watched about 15 years later, and it wasn't so bad then. I just remember not sleeping for about 2 or 3 nights straight after that one. I think what scared me the most, is it is based on a true story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097100/
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 13 years ago
The only movie that ever scared/shocked me enough to physically hurt myself was JAWS when the Richard Dreyfuss character is investigating the boat with a hole chomped in it in his scuba gear and that face suddenly pops into the hole. I jumped and kicked at the same time and ended up twisting my back and knocked my ankle against the seat frame in front of me so hard that the bruise lasted two weeks.

Another scary story: The Perfect Storm (the movie was tame, but the book gave me nightmares for two weeks)

As a kid, Wizard of Oz was frightening, but we wouldn't miss it's annual showing for anything. To this day, if I dream of a tornado it always looks just like the one that sweeps Dorothy over the rainbow.
admin
founder
TK said:

> However, when we rented I Am Legend with Will Smith----YEAH---that's one I will NEVER watch again! We watched it when it first came out and cripes--I still have nightmares ...

I haven't seen "I Am Legend" yet, however isn't it another remake of "The Last Man on Earth", which Chuck brought up in the first post? If so, that's another movie which has been remade a bazillion times.

I intend to watch it, just haven't gotten to it yet ... look forward to it though.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1795) 13 years ago
I have to agree that JAWS stands-out for me.

I was in second grade when that came-out. My dad and brothers went to it at the Montana...by the time the show was halfway through, I was on my dad's lap facing away from the screen. For a few months after that, I was frightened to take a shower because I was afraid JAWS was going to squeeze through the pipes and bite-off my top half! I was also afraid to use the toilet for fear of having said shark come through the sewer and bite-off my bum!...I managed to find the courage to do both, though, somehow.

I also remember seeing "Creature from the Black Lagoon" as a kid on "Science Fiction Theatre" and that one scared me pretty good.

One that my 13-year-old (she's into scary movies these days) had me watch more recently that I thought was chilling was Stephen King's "The Mist". That one had a really depressing ending to it...I found it interesting because it had a few cast members from "Shawshank Redemption" in it.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 13 years ago
Old movies? Gotta be "The Blob" and "Die, Die My Darling". My brother and sister took me to the drive in to see The Blob, I tried to hide on the floor, my brother says, "that's the 1st place the blob goes!"

Modern day: "My Little Eye," a group of people thinking they're on a big brother reality show..they're not! Also, "Fraility".

Kyle: on your idea, how about "The Game" and "Murder of Crows"?
Posted by Jeff Newby (+151) 13 years ago
The one that scared me my dad took me to at the old Park Theatre. I cant remember the name of it but it had these 3 or 4 college girls (of course) and they stayed at this house in the country with these older people. Well the older people ended up having a crazy son that lived in the basement and was killing the girls. On girl had dropped a bowl of grapes and was picking them up and her scarf was over the heating vent and the killer grabbed the scarf and kept pulling on it till the girl was dead smashing her head into the grate. Thats about all I remember from it.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+402) 13 years ago
I'm with Kacey and Chuck. 50 years old and those damn flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz still scare me into next week. Watched the entire movie once, way back in the day, and will never even try again. I will also second the vote for "The Omen". Something about cute evil children just freaks me out.
Larry, You are correct....again. Last man on Earth was based on the book "I am Legend" which the Will Smith movie was based on as well. I've seen both and liked them, but for my money the "Last Man on Earth" was more disturbing, but Vincent Price is just a creepy guy.

TK, if you get a chance watch and compare the two.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1438) 13 years ago
1. The first "Salem's Lot" when you're just a kid.

2. John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" when you've stayed up past your bed time.

3. Any film starring Paris Hilton... night vision or not.
Posted by Slosh (+701) 13 years ago
Things that freaked me out as a kid: Obviously the Wizard of Oz and anything with the Muppets. Something about those things scared the hell out of me. The two old men in the theater were the worst. Labrynth (SP) also got to me as a youngster, although now I watch and it and am just scared of David Bowie.

The Grudge freaked me out, little Japanese girls are scary. (Although it was a great date movie.)
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17335) 13 years ago
When I was a lad, I liked those old "Night Stalker" movies on TV. That one with an underground city below Las Vegas that was populated by vampires was pretty cool.
Posted by CalebSamuelson (+109) 13 years ago
Fantasia scared the crap out of me when i was little. Something about dancing hippos,elephants and brooms thats creepy. Some others that I've seen are: 13 ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, Hills Have Eyes (it wasn't too scary, just disturbing that someone could come up with stuff like that).
Posted by Amber (+223) 13 years ago
I must admit that as a kid I was traumatized by "IT"...I hate clowns, and "Chucky". Now that I have watched them as an adult I pretty think they are lame. But clowns still freak me out.
Posted by Slosh (+701) 13 years ago
It looks like there were a lot of wussies running around the Samuelson house back in the 80s. Fantasia still freaks me out.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3677) 13 years ago
Scary movies are not the slasher or shock value flickers for me. What really scares me are the movies that make me realize that not everyone plays nice with other children.

Natural Born Killers
Onion Fields
Deliverance ("You sure got a purdy mouth")

What was the one based on the Truman Capote book?
Posted by Leanne Stewart (+205) 13 years ago
Jeepers Creepers is the scariest movie I have ever seen. Part 2 makes you scream also!! Yikes!!
In Cold Blood.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 13 years ago
Gotta agree with Tucker = the scariest movies are ones based on man's inhumanity - so I nominate "The Boston Strangler", any Holocaust movie, and "Apocalypto" in this category.

The best supernatural/spiritual thriller will always be THE EXORCIST in my book. It only took me a few weeks to get over my fear that my bed and dresser might suddenly spring to life and attack me, but just a few notes of Tubular Bells can give me the chills to this day.

Teen terror is fun. My favorite slasher flick will always be "The Legend of Boggy Creek" (very early teenscream flick) because of the trick I played on my little brother right after it. The first shocker sighting of the monster is when it stretches a hairy muscled arm through a bathroom window to grab a guy who's blithely sitting on the toilet. Well, when we got home after the movie, my brother went directly to the 1st floor bathroom to relieve his bladder of the remnants of an X-large soda. It was summer so the bathroom window was wide open (no central air and low crime in Colorado in those days). As it happened, my father was having the house painted so all of the screens were off, too. And the toilet in that bathroom was right next to that window. Perfect!!! I quietly ran around in pitch darkness to the back of the house, got right under the windo without him hearing a thing, and then reached in quickly, grabbing and yanking my brother's arm while growling like a grizzly bear. Poor little guy never stood a chance. He turned and ran out of the bathroom, down the hall and into the kitchen without looking back - and also without pulling up his drawers. The image of his little white butt scooting down the hall at the speed of light is one I'll never forget. My Mom never forgot it either because his screams were so sudden and so loud that he scared the bejesus out of her, too. They got the last laugh, though, cuz someone had to mop up the wet trail my brother had left behind in his haste to escape the grip of the Boggy Creek monster - and Mom thought that someone should, of course, be me. I remember being very thankful that he only had to go #1.
Posted by GVC (+515) 13 years ago
Chuck Schott said

Larry, You are correct....again. Last man on Earth was based on the book "I am Legend" which the Will Smith movie was based on as well. I've seen both and liked them, but for my money the "Last Man on Earth" was more disturbing, but Vincent Price is just a creepy guy.

We recently rented "Omega Man" with Charleton Heston, which is also based on "I am Legend". I've seen the Will Smith thing and I think "Omega Man" was also creepier although there weren't any fancy special effects (and Will Smith beats CH in the hottie department). I love Vincent Price so I'll have to find "Last Man on Earth."

gvc's wife
Posted by Bill Gierke (+79) 13 years ago
Chuck, you took me to see the "Exorcist" after a couple of left handed cigarettes. Linda Blair will never be normal to me.
Was that when I had Glaucoma? Was it in Billings? Me, You, Linda and Kay Wonderwoman?

Sorry I missed you last weekend, my computer thought you where SPAM and junked the e-mail before I got it. I just ran across it a couple of days ago and moved your address into my acceptable list, next time for sure.
Posted by hilinetransplant (+130) 13 years ago
there are dofferent categories of scary films.

terror
horror
physcological
slasher
all of then have great movies. I just watched the strangers and it was good, that would be in the terror group, they definatley left it open for the second film at the end.
Posted by ABC (+381) 12 years ago
Jan 12, 2009 10:12pm
The Shining w/ Jack Nicholson & Shelley Duvall is on Midrivers' Channel 181 BRAVO

ABC
Posted by Samantha (+115) 12 years ago
spice girl movie. yikes, that'll freak ya out.

nightmare on elm st. movies were hilarious, even as a kid.

phantasm scared me so bad, i hate looking at a hearse.

saw is an awesome scary movie franchise. i recommend it to anyone.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+586) 12 years ago
Phantasm and a early Italian horror film 'Black Sunday' Lights on for weeks!
Posted by James (+95) 12 years ago
The movie " Carrie" Had an ending that sent a lot of popcorn and candy flying across the movie theatre.