Cowboys vs. Butte Central
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6123) 14 years ago
Some nuggets:

The Maroons (4-5) seems to have beaten the teams they should have beaten and lost to the teams they should have lost to.

The combined win-loss record of the teams they've beaten (Anaconda, Columbia Falls, Browning and Livingston) is 9-26 (.346). The teams they've lost to (Whitefish, Billings Central, Havre, Belgrade and Lewistown) have an aggregate 28-15 record.

Butte Central holds a 117-43 scoring margin in their wins but have been outscored, 46-169 in their losses.

Here are the results for Butte Central:

@ Anaconda (0-9) - W, 47-12
@ Whitefish (4-5) - L, 16-6
vs. Columbia Falls (5-3) - W, 26-19
@ Billings Central (9-0) - L, 41-0 (MC lost to BC, 14-8)
@ Havre (7-2) - L, 42-6
vs. Belgrade (5-3) - L, 35-6 (MC beat Belgrade, 40-14)
vs. Browning (3-6) - W, 16-6
@ Lewistown (3-5) - L, 35-28
vs. Livingston (1-8) - W, 28-6 (MC beat Livingston, 47-0)

PS: 164 (18.2 ppg)
PA: 212 (23.6 ppg)

- Their only win against a playoff team was against Columbia Falls.
- Their only road victory was against (winless) Anaconda.
- MC's most closely-matched opponent this season, Billings Central, had 370 total yards of offense (41-287 rushing, 4-83 passing) against the Maroons.

Of course, all of this means nothing. The game will be decided on the field. Good luck this weekend, Cowboys!

I've copied the following from the Cowboys vs. Billings Central thread.

Here is a quick rundown of the playoff history between Miles City and Butte Central:

1973 (semifinals) - MC lost (away), 26-7 (Ron Muri: 20-141-1 rushing, 90-yard TD).

1981 (championship) - MC won, 12-7 (Ernie Bighorn: 35-119-2 rushing, scored winning TD w/ :11 remaining).

1999 (quarterfinals) - MC lost, 41-6 (at the time, was the worst playoff loss for the Cowboys).

2004 (first-round) - MC won, 13-8 (Paul Glueckert recovered BTC fumble in endzone with :14 remaining - one play after Pat Regan INT. Regan rushed for 124 yards on 20 carries in game).

2006 (first-round) - MC lost, 28-14 (Cowboys' comeback fell short as Maroons led 28-0 with less than 9 minutes remaining. Brennan Haughian: 15-85-1 rushing).

Ironically enough, this will be the first time that the Maroons will have had to come to Miles City to play the Cowboys. All five of the previous meetings were in Butte.

The Cowboys are 10-1 in their last 11 home playoff games, with their only loss coming in triple-overtime against Dillon (24-21) in 2005.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1588) 14 years ago
I think this game could be ugly.
MC-32
BC-0
Posted by Mr. Natural (+69) 14 years ago
MC-35
BC-6
Posted by Slosh (+693) 14 years ago
I think you guys are being a bit kind towards Central.
For anyone who's interested, here is the list of the Cowboys' most lop-sided playoff wins (since 1973):

1997 - vs. Bigfork (quarterfinals - W, 56-9) +47
1993 - at Whitefish (quarterfinals - W, 45-6) +39
1994 - vs. Havre (championship - W, 43-7) +36
1995 - vs. Dillon (quarterfinals - W, 41-6) +35
2002 - vs. Polson (quarterfinals - W, 42-7) +34

I'm going to go with the reverse of the 1999 meeting between the Cowboys and the Maroons for my predicition ...

41-6, MC (Butte Central will score on the final play of the game - a Hail Mary, if you will )

A few individual predictions - Brennan Haughian will threaten the Cowboys' single-game record for rushing yards in a playoff game (Joe Baker 15-204-3 vs. Havre in 1994). If he has at least 78 rushing yards (half his season average), he'll break Keith Wittenhagen's single-season rushing record (218-1447-18 in 10 games in 1984). J.T. Keith will become the third player to post a 100-yard receiving game in the postseason, joining Ace Berry (4-153-3 vs. Polson in 2002) and Ryan Wagner (3-139-2 vs. Laurel in 1993 and 3-128-2 vs. Havre in 1994). Cord Berg will recover a fumble for a TD. Hayden Kallfell will have a KO return of 40+ yards.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 10/30/2008).]
supporter
Good Luck Cowboys. Kick some Butte.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1288) 14 years ago
Any Score?
Cowboys won, 48-7. Be warned, Polson.
Offense, defense and especially special teams dominated this game. It looked like a totally different Cowboy team out there today. Polson could be in trouble.
Any preliminary scoring numbers, Slosh? The radio wasn't very clear with who scored what (other than Kallfell's two TDs).
Just some quick numbers for you stat geeks (Brian, I mean you). Brennan rushed 10 times for 218 yards, a school playoff record (Baker had 204 against Havre in the 1994 state title game.) and he scored twice. All of Brennans yards came in the first half. Cord Berg scored two other touchdownds and Kyle Stanton caught a Jordan Bryant touchdown pass.

Brennan now owns the single season rushing record with 1,588 yards. He passed Keith Whittenhagen, who had 1,447 back in 1984.
A lot of people would be insulted, Slosh.

I am not one of those people. STAT GEEKS RULE!

Thanks, my friend.

My prognostication skills are starting to rival your own. I was very close with the score, Haughian's rushing yards and Kallfell's long return(s).

It will be the Cowboys' first trip to Polson next week. Here's the playoff history:

1983 (semifinals) - MC 12, Polson 6
1985 (semifinals) - MC 20, Polson 16
1994 (quarterfinals) - MC 34, Polson 14
2002 (quarterfinals) - MC 42, Polson 7

* Each of the previous games was played at Denton Field.

Congratulations for your win, Cowboys. Good luck and safe travel next week. Keep your eyes on the prize.
supporter
Slosh, I am telling you, Derrick Singleton is one of the best defensive backs I have ever seen. He came up and hit a Butte kid and I thought he killed him. He was puking on the sideline for 5 minutes. That little wrestler can flat out tackle.

[This message has been edited by Stone (edited 11/2/2008).]
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1288) 14 years ago
Why is the game in Polson? Didn't MC have a better W/L?
Singleton popped that kid good. A perfect hit. For a little guy (I'm not buying the 155 pounds), he's turned into a ferocious hitter. All the defensive backs, Cooley, Makor, Kalfell and Singleton lay hits as well as any defensive lineman or linebacker groups in the state. They're a lot of fun.

Butte was not having fun against that defense. You could tell they had never been hit like that before. It's good to see "old" Eastern A football again.

The game is in Polson because the brackets are set years in advance with the top-seeds from each conference rotating on the bracket. Unlike the AA, which is reseeded every week in the playoffs, ours is set. Billings Central, the only undefeated team in Class A, will have to go on the road for the semi-finals, while a Cowboys win this week will allow the Cowboys to host the semi-finals. It's just a weird quirk in the system.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1884) 14 years ago
Totally weird.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4455) 14 years ago
I'm confused though. If the Cowboys beat Polson, and end up bracketed against another 1 seed the week after, wouldn't they have to travel again?
no, the brackets are set and seeds really don't matter after the first round when the No. 2 seeds host the No. 3 seeds. In the second round, the No. 1 seeds host, but the semi's and state title games are set on the rotational basis. Like I said, it's a weird quirk to have Central on the road and Miles City at home (likely against No. 1 seed Frenchtown), but that's how it's set. They came up with the system based on the idea of all four No. 1 seeds advancing to the semi-finals. Rather than having to distinguish which of the four was the top-seed, second seed, etc.., they just did the rotating home games.

But then a team like the Cowboys comes in and will likely screw it all up.

I think the AA does it best, but then again there's only 14 teams in AA and it's easier to have eight seeds, rather than four No. 1's, four No. 2's and four No. 3's. I like how the AA is re-seeded every week. For example, No. 1 Capital plays No. 8 Billings Skyview in the first round. No. 2 West plays agianst No. 7 Flathead. In a normal bracket, Capital would advance to play the winner of the No. 4 vs. No. 5 seed. But the way AA does it, if Flathead beats West, Capital would play Flathead instead of No. 4 Helena because Flathead is the lowest remaining seed.

Class B and C are way more confusing and I won't go into it. I'm sorry if it doesn't come across as easy to understand. This is literally my life, so I have to understand it.
The best example I can think of how the Class A bracket can work against a team comes from the 2002 season. That season, the then-undefeated and top-ranked Cowboys had to travel to Havre for a quarterfinal game. The Blue Ponies entered the game with a 6-3 record as the second-place team in the Central 'A'.

Long story short, the weather was horrid and Havre won, 19-12. The frozen field definitely favored the home team, as the grounds crew there made sure to plow the hashmarks clear for receivers Steve Heberly and Steven Harman (both of whom happened to be all-state sprinters). The middle of the field was ice-packed, which minimized the effectiveness of the Cowboys' option attack.

Meanwhile, back in Miles City ... the weather was beautiful (50's, sunny). I truly believe that had the game been played on the higher-seeded team's field that week, the Cowboys would have netted a similar result to the week before (a 42-7 win over Polson).
Posted by hilinetransplant (+133) 14 years ago
couple of things. The class A should only have 2 from each division to make it to the playoffs 3 is to much if you finish third you don't deserve to make it to a playoff. And the second, i was listening to the game on the internet and through most of third quarter and i minute into the fourth, not once did they announcers tell what the score was! I was waiting that whole time to hear what the score was.Annoying. I had to call the station for them to tell me the score.
I buy the argument that the three seeds shouldn't make the playoffs. But then again, in some conferences the third seed is better the the top seed of other conferences. Miles City won the 1996 state title as the 3 seed and Hardin as the 3 seed this year could very well end up in the semi-finals. I think it works out ok.
supporter
Slosh, I am with you on that one. I think this years 4th place team from the East could beat the first place team from the Central. So, I like having three teams.
I remember 96 what an awesome year. We beat the number one seed from the west, central and east to become state champions.

My belief is that some of this bracketing is left over from when we had only three conferences. The home field pre-selected brackets was put in place to eliminate travel expenses but I think there were some ulterior motives.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4455) 14 years ago
I'll one up you Stone. The East's 5th place team (Sidney) already played the Central's 1st place team (Havre) this year.

Guess who won
supporter
Rick what are you doing talking sports you should be at the head quarters getting ready for tommorrow's beat down.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1342) 14 years ago
McCain has headquarters? Since he didn't bother to grace Montana with his presence during the general election I wonder what they do there? Play charades?