Changes at eBay
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11900) 13 years ago
My postcard collecting may come to an end. eBay accepts only credit cards and PayPal, no writing a check anymore. Oh, well. My postcard album is full so I guess it's time to quit.
Posted by Mike Zier (+138) 13 years ago
I couldn't agree with you more. Why?? A money order is CASH. I think it's just another way for ebay to double dip with PayPal. Unreal!
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+511) 13 years ago
Most businesses that accept credit cards will also let you use a debit card.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 13 years ago
Actually, money orders aren't cash. They're pieces of paper that can be forged and since there are so many out there that look different it's hard to be certain. Some banks still exercise their right to hold a money order pending verification.

We're seeing this in all sorts of online payment circles... auctions, online retail, online subscription services, etc.

Pretty soon they won't accept my beads and chickens and I'll have to come up with European currency if I want to pay for something.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1388) 13 years ago
You aren't paying ebay for the cards you are paying the sellers. Sellers can specify how they will accept payment.

I still put in every one of my auctions "I accept Paypal, personal check and money order."
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 13 years ago
Doesn't Paypal offer the use of your debit card or taking it out of your checking account directly?? They used to do that I think....
Posted by jessiker (+284) 13 years ago
It depends on your bank - some will work with PayPal, some won't. Same with debit cards.
Posted by Joshua Austill (+91) 13 years ago
Is it just me, or has ebay's fee's gotten out of control? I sold 4 things on ebay last month and they sent me a bill for 96 bucks!!! Paypal is the most worthless thing on the planet, and I hate the way that ebay ties you to it. On the other hand, ebay is like your only option for really selling things online Someone needs to make a better website, blah.

Ok, my rant is done
founder
Posted by Chad (+1769) 13 years ago
That's why I promote using Craigslist for things you can sell locally. I metro areas it's usurped eBay.
Posted by Helena Handbasket (+33) 13 years ago
At least for now, eBay does allow sellers to take checks and money orders. The seller just cannot state that in the auction terms. If you contact most sellers they will let you send them paper payment.

Just a heads up, I have been selling on eBay for over ten years. I had it in my auctions that I would accept cash as payment. I never had a problem with it, and some people, especially those out of the US preferred to pay that way. About 2 years ago eBay had a policy change of not accepting cash. I wasn't informed of this until they pulled all of my auctions and emailed all the buyers I had had transactions with over the past 2 months and told them not to pay me because I was a "security risk". I had packages in transit at the time, and had to deal with numerous panicky buyers who thought they had been scammed. Now, under eBay's new policies, if you have a listing violation like that you can be given a lower search status, making your auctions show up lower in the searches.

There have been many changes at eBay over the past few months and none of them bode well for the future.
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+439) 13 years ago
According to EBay, accepting checks and money orders will come to a halt in January. Seems to me to be a good way to make sure they get all the PayPal commissions.

I am a relatively new EBayer, we have been selling seriously for about 2 years. They seem to keep tinkering with the fees and each time they do it, you guessed it, we pay more. But, EBay has allowed us to run a business from our home that I don't think would work in any other environment (even Craigs List).

Sadly, they are the only game in town. I know a lot of EBayers have talked about moving to Amazon, but depending on what you sell, you have to qualify to get in there.