Second Amendment - "Our First Freedom"
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6114) 13 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...ts_himself

Ah, the important things in life. I'm sure the boy's parents wanted to make sure he was prepared for when Barack Obama was going to outlaw his favorite toy ... er, birthright.

I'm sure he'll become one of Chuck Heston's all-stars for living up to the "cold, dead hands" slogan.

Time to go and "supervise" my son as I let him play in traffic ...
Posted by J. Dyba (+1343) 13 years ago
Honestly this just looks like a bad accident. Anyone who has spent some time on a gun range knows these shoots are supervised quite well. This is just part of the potential consequences of wanting to include minors in this kind of recreation.

I hope your not suggesting this kind of activity should be regulated or controlled by the government. That would definitely be a worse alternative in my opinion.

That's the beauty of the 2nd amendment. You can choose not to let your child participate.
I hope your not suggesting this kind of activity should be regulated or controlled by the government. That would definitely be a worse alternative in my opinion.

As a matter of fact, I do. I believe it should be "well regulated." I seem to recall seeing that phrase somewhere ...

I also wouldn't allow an eight year old to drive my car, fly an airplane or drink alcohol, even with supervision. All of those things are regulated by the government, and with good reason.

You're right - it was a horrible accident. That doesn't change the fact that he child never should have been in a position to be shooting an Uzi in the first place (somehow, I doubt the founding fathers had this scenario in mind when they penned the 2nd Amendment in the first place - just a guess).

So long as there are people who believe that the 2nd Amendment is the only part of the Bill of Rights that really matters, accidents like this are going to happen.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1769) 13 years ago
I support the 2nd Amendment, but I don't care who you are or what your experience is, an eight year old should not be shooting an Uzi or any other automatic weapon. That is just plain stupid, especially with a small, light, skittish gun like an Uzi. What a bunch of knot-heads, poor kid.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1343) 13 years ago
I agree it's dumb to let an 8 yr old go to town with an Uzi but where do you draw the line of intervention?

When it comes to Pandora's box I personally prefer to ere on the side of caution.
Posted by tjr1973 (+18) 13 years ago
Condescend much?

The people in charge should be hung. Stupidity in all it's glory. An automatic like that can be a chore for an adult to hang onto if they don't know what to expect.

I support the 2nd Amendment and am planning on voting for Obama by the way.
Posted by GVC (+521) 13 years ago
Jeez, I didn't realize how many morans there were in Massachusetts.

gvc's wife
Posted by M G (+199) 13 years ago
The funny thing about gun control or regulation is that it will only 'control' us honest folks. It is totally impossible to regulate criminals and idiots.
Taking gun rights away from honest citizens, regardless of their IQ, would be a criminals dream come true. I sure many politicians and their cronies would feel safer if the military was the only ones with the right to bare arms.

As far as this tragedy in Mass, I think criminal child endangerment, or negligent homicide may be appropriate.

[This message has been edited by M G (edited 10/27/2008).]
Yet another of Chuck Heston's All-Stars!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/C...index.html
Posted by Carl Wenberg (+45) 13 years ago
I am A massachusetts gun owner and shooter , was stationed out at old radar base in Miles City when there did hunt and shoot on the range, have been shooting as a sport for over 50 yrs. have a license to carry hand guns in Ma. & Florida, Ma. has some of the toughest gun laws in the USA might be hard to believe after that stupid Uzi story, stupid and sad, I handled automatic firearms while in service, before we were to fire live rounds we had many hrs. of instruction not just go to range and fire with an instructor by your side or not. this is just another incident that feeds the anti gun lobby, when I was in Montana there was no law as to hand gun ownership that I new of, so to all you gun owners and those who believe in the 2nd. amendment HAPPY SOOTING and don!t give in
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
Don't let kids shoot guns or swing metal baseball bats and then they will be safe...
Posted by GVC (+521) 13 years ago
I'd let my kid soot a gun. Sounds like all that would happen is he'd get a little dirty.

gvc's wife
Posted by Carl Wenberg (+45) 13 years ago
You got me on the typo "Sooting" what can I say!!!
Posted by mule train (+1049) 13 years ago
I new you were going to say that