founder
Posted by Heather McCracken (+16) 21 years ago
Was bored and surfing around and was pleasantly surprised to see the old home town has it's own web site! I haven't been back in about 20 yrs - except for a brief visit with my brother in '99. I was on my way home from my oldest son's graduation in Culbertson and only had about 16 hours before getting back on the bus. Since I got in at Midnight I spent about 5 of those sleeping!

My brother, sis-in-law and niece took me for the "grand" tour and I was hit with my first real stab of bomesickness right then! The biggest blow was the Holy Rosary, all 3 of us were born there (me being the last in '59) and Mom passed there in '78..................in deserved more respect. Admittedly, some of the changes were good but still sad for me. Thru the yrs I've missed friends and family, but I'm ashamed to say I never really missed the place itself, never had that yearning to "go back". Now, I'm sorry I didn't come home more often.

Okay, nuff of that already!! On a positive note - I live in WA with my hubby and two younger kids (14yo son & 12yo daughter). We bought 2-1/2 acres on Mt. Index in '98 and are in the process of building our 3 bedroom home - almost ready for the electrical inspection. We're doing it ourselves with the help of good friends and neighbors lending their backs. Hubby had major back surgery over a year ago and still is not allowed to do much. The plans were already submitted when he got hurt (literally days before). He's just been overwhelmed with all the support and help. The other great thing is, since we're paying for everything as we go so when it's done we'll be moving in with NO payyments! And we only have a year left on the land payments! It's going to be a beaut when completed - heck, it's beautiful just the way it stands now!!

Wow, didn't mean to be so long winded and appologize for taking up so much room, I just got excited when I found you. I wasn't the most popular person in town but I did leave a few friends behind. Tried to stay in touch but life happens and before you know it a month is 5 yrs.......
I just hope they know I've never forgotten them. If anyone know Tammy Yankoff I'd like to know if she's still around and if you know Caroline Wetmore (Hays), please assure her that I finally "broke the dog chain" about a year after our last conversation. She'll know what it means.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12615) 21 years ago
You must have graduated within a year or two of me because I went to high school with Dick and Tammy Yankoff. I was Amorette Freese and graduated in the notorious class of 1976. We were notorious because we wore red, white and blue graduation robes and, as my mother said, looked like the graduation class for a clown college.

Yeah, what happened to the old Holy Rosary was a crime! Literally! There is some hope for the old part of the building but the 1950 addition will probably just get torn down because the inside was so damaged by the person--I won't go into detail because of slander and libel laws--who bought it.

A surprising number of us who moved away have moved back. After the big city, sometimes Miles City looks wonderful! Not perfect, mind you, but still fun.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Heather McCracken (+16) 21 years ago
You would correct, I would've graduated in '77 but I turned 18 and quit 6 weeks before graduation because I was soooo smart LOL! Reality truly does bite! Finally got around to getting my GED (at 30) and a year of college in SD before moving here with my boyfriend (now hubby). Used to tease Dick all the time with "can't wait to see your name in the phone book!" :0))

I would call Bingo sometimes and there was a Mrs. Freese who played regularly and always sat up front. She was my gauge on when to call the next number because she always had the most cards! She was great and to this day I can't play a game of Bingo without thinking of her. I wonder, would she be a relation of yours?

You're right about the big city thing, so we found a place even smaller about 80 miles from Seattle. Index has a huge pop. of 150 and we live 4 miles up a gravel road on Mt. Index!