How's the weather in Miles City
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+387) 13 years ago
"Walkin in a winter wonderland........" ?
Since there's no longer a webcam for us to see what's what, I was just curious how everything's going up there weatherwise?
It feels like I only left yesterday (even though it's been 5 years now) but I do miss the weather in Miles City sometimes.

We're SUPPOSED to get cold and rainy here this weekend but so far other then wind it's not bad out here in Grand Junction, CO. Wait...hmmm... supposed to get moisture and all we get is wind. I guess it IS kinda like Miles City in that respect.

Seriously though, if someone could keep all of us out of towners up to date on the storm this weekend, that would be great. Sounds like Billings is dealing with a lot of power outages more then anything else. The weather sources are saying a possibility of 1 to 2 feet by Monday now. I can't even begin to remember the last time Miles saw that much snow at once. 8-10 inches a couple of times but not 2 feet.

HOPEFULLY the mayor is PREPARING for the worst just in case. That would be the smart thing to do. The fact that this is happening on the weekend however, doesn't bode well for that. <sigh>

ON that note, I look forward to hearing the reports from all you boys and girls lucky enough to be dealing with this. If there are no reports, I'll assume the power is out. Here's hoping not

Be warm and safe all
Posted by stacy regan (+115) 13 years ago
So far all we've seen is raindrops-mixed with a few flakes here and there but no snow is sticking! It's pretty chilly @ 38 degrees. They say maybe some snow overnight, but according to the radar, it seems to be going just around us.

Will keep posting updates.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+519) 13 years ago
Mostly here it is just cold and wet. It has snowed off and on but nothing has stuck. It looks like Billings is getting hammered again right now.
Posted by jkuhl (+83) 13 years ago
Hammered is right! It hasn't stopped snowing here for 2 days and it's all sticking. Glad to hear MC's not getting hit so hard. Glad to hear from YOU, Chris! Seeing your name made me all nostolgic for the Choir days with Mr. A. I remember we were on our way to Portland and I took a picture of you and surprised you. I said, "Oops! Didn't mean to flash you," and everybody busted out laughing. God, I was so embarrassed!
supporter
Now we are getting belted with a heavy mix of rain and snow. By the looks of the radar it is going to last a while.
Posted by JOE WHALEN (+614) 13 years ago
Hammered? Belted? It's Saturday night. Mind if I have a cocktail before we shoot full-tilt into disaster & emergency mode?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17158) 13 years ago
Belt back too many cocktails and you will be hammered.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+927) 13 years ago
We had a power outage for about an hour and half -- not sure when. Right now I'm looking at all the trees loaded with snow including the one directly over our power line. I wish today's high were in the 50s rather than low 30s.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 13 years ago
Power flicked on and off a couple of times at the theater last night. We lost it for a second or two here at out house. The lilacs look very flat but the big juniper bush looks very "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." The cat is staring out the window. He's cross-eyed so movement attracts his attention.

Still dumping down, nice and wet. Including the branches hanging over the power line. Bet the MDU guys are picking up overtime.
supporter
When I took the dogs out this morning I could hear branches creaking and cracking. The first time we lost the power last night we heard one of those Frankenstein movie electrical noises. I really thought it was going to be out for a while after hearing that, but it came right back on.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 13 years ago
I think snow in early October merits a little excitement . I don't remember too many years when there was a big snow by halloween and that's still a few weeks away.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+927) 13 years ago
Once the leaves are off the trees it can snow all it wants -- April and October are too leafy.
Posted by Keli A. (+105) 13 years ago
Yep, MDU has been at work all night long clearing branches and fixing power lines! My husband just got called into work. They have a long day and probably night ahead of them!
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+399) 13 years ago
I saw pictures of Billings and assumed Miles City was the same.

When will the webcam work again. I certainly miss it.
supporter
WAAAAAAAAA! Channel 8 is out, no football!
founder
Posted by jackie stoeckel (+204) 13 years ago
is there a chance that the city will be removing large branches from the boulevards???? hiint hint..... or if someone has a pickup to help a damsel in distress?????
Posted by Linda L. (+76) 13 years ago
I need to borrow someone with a chain saw. I had quite a large branch come down, but at least it's out in the back property, and didn't hit any power lines. I do have some branches that could still snap, and they will hit lines. I've got fingers, toes, and eyeballs crossed that they stay put.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+387) 13 years ago
Thankyou all for the updates and here's hoping that you're all out of the woods after this evening. It sounds like it should be at least back to normal temps by later in the week. Kudos to the MDU crews out there when it's not much fun to be out there.

On a side note.... hello and long time no hear from the blast from the past in Ms J. Kuhl too Kuhl for school. <grin> How funny in the fact that I was just remembering that choir trip to Portland as well not too long ago and remembering how miserably sick I was. LOL My sister in law was talking about Oregon and if I'd ever been there. "Yep! Sure have" "It was awesome but it sucked!" I was trying to remember who the germ laden person was that gifted to me that wonderful cold and I think it was Troy Thorne but can't remember for sure. Was Jennifer Bunke there? Hmmmm I can't recall. Not that I hold a grudge or anything mind you <grin>

Oh and before I forget, Bridgier I read your dig on Colin on the cowboys foorball post. You best be careful as in as far as I can remember, I'm pretty sure your lil' brother isn't so little and could hand you your shoes if he so chooses. Then again, it has been <cringe> 15 years. Wow

Back to making snow men and snow angels. Be warm be safe all
supporter
Talked to my Mom this afternoon and they are totally snowed in out at Knowlton. Neighbors attempted to make it to the highway in a 4WD this morning and failed miserably. Never heard of such a thing this early in October. So much for global warming.
Posted by Laura Sevier (+1780) 13 years ago
Call Pat Hartse at 234-8224 he has a pickup and does odd jobs for $10.00 an hour. He can haul the branches away for someone if they are cut up small enough.
founder
Posted by jackie stoeckel (+204) 13 years ago
thanks, laura, a friend came to the rescue. so the branches are on their way to the dump.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 13 years ago
/from Des Moines, Iowa/

Was watching CNN yesterday and they ran iReporter and regular weather reports about the snow in Billings and some other little town I've never heard of - 40 inches or more! Wow - especially in October.

I only two times where snow fall (and accumulation) crept into Halloween. One was years ago in the 80's and the last was, if memory serves, snowfall on Halloween around 1996 or so. Pretty exciting.

Yup, this is exactly the sort of thing that would have me watching the webcam with great interest, more than usual.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17462) 13 years ago
So how much snow is on the ground in Miles City? I was hoping to come out antelope hunting Thursday, but if the ground is going to be too wet, I will stay home.
supporter
I remember 2 times as a kid when we were trick or treating in the snow. I was home for weaning/hunting over Halloween in maybe 2000 or 2001 and there was snow and it was really cold (like close to zero) but it's very unusual at Halloween and October 10th is just nuts. There was a big snow late this spring too right? Maybe even in May? Ekalaka got hammered that time too.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 13 years ago
It was a WET snow. I suspect life will still be muddy on Thursday.