What will happen to the web cam?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 13 years ago
Now that Eric has left Miles City and his business is closed, what will happen to the web cam? Will it just keep running until it breaks or will someone turn it off? Will we get a new one?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 13 years ago
Eric left? Where'd he go? I hope the webcam, will stay up. I like watching the random car go by at 2am PST.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 13 years ago
I heard that Eric left and immediately a lot of questions about what would happen popped into my mind -- but I have to admit that the fate of the webcam was not one of them.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 13 years ago
That was quick. I hope the funds from the Duck Race are secure?
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 13 years ago
He left? Well I gotta say he made it longer then I thought he would.
founder
If he has really left what impact will this have on the Custer County Commissioner race in the upcoming election?
supporter
THAT's the big question, David. One of 'em, anyway.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 13 years ago
Hmm... I am thinking sponsorship opportunity.
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 13 years ago
Amorette,
Your your usual constructive and informed self today.

Do you not see that the webcam is still running? Have I announced any changes?

I'm sorry if I have offended you your highness. But if you really wanted to know, ms knowitallbritches, you could have asked me first - oh, but handling things appropriately was never really your style, was it.

For the record,
I am helping a friend take care of his family following the death of his father. There is much to take care of. I am living out of a suitcase in Greeley, Colorado while my things are living at 110 N Jordan (still not complete on construction). My crystal ball is out of naquida, so I can't see what December will look like - but I suspect it will have a lot to do with events in November.
Posted by Farra Olson (+29) 13 years ago
From one SG-1 fan to another, my condolences.
supporter
Hey Eric. Glad to hear from you. OK, here's the other BIG question: How in the world did you fit your duck costume into a suitcase?

Good luck, where ever you may roam.
founder
supporter
I merely commented that you were gone and your business was closed. Since I could not talk to you, I had no one to ask. So, I asked here, politely, with no speculation and no rumors, just a question.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 13 years ago
Howdy Eric,
Glad you are OK and looking forward to your return to our area....Stay safe!!
No Amorette, you know how to contact me - you've had private email contact with me very recently. You work UNDER the webcam; why do you even care? I'm not buying the "polite question" bs. Don't try to cover up and justify your bad behaviors by discharging them with bovine feces. Own up to the fact that you are annoying and irritating.

Furthermore, my business is not "closed" at this time. As usual, you know just the wrong side of nothing.

There are aspects which are on hold at this time, and there is a transition in process for those services. Other parts are already in transition, et-cetera - et-cetera.

Regardless, the details of my business are - just that - MY BUSINESS. Keep your rain-collecting myopic nose out of peoples private affairs missy. I'll share what I want, when I want. I assure you you don't want me sharing other people's things just because I can. And believe me, there's plenty to share.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6068) 13 years ago
Can I put a transcript of this discussion under the "What I DON'T miss about Miles City" thread?

Maybe someone should start a "What I don't miss about milescity.com" thread...
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+136) 13 years ago
How are those anger management classes coming along, Eric?
supporter
Lets not make this another thread about picking on Eric as I think he has his plate full at the moment trying to help a friend as well as making decisions about his future..He has done much for Miles City (webcam, etc) so I think he is deserving of a little understanding...IMO
founder
Sorry, my comment about the duck race funds came off as harsh. It was not a reflection of my opinion of Eric nor do I have any reason to suspect Eric would attempt to abscond with those funds. It's just when there is the appearance that someone has left town in a hurry (which apparently he really didn't) my mind immediately thinks of the worst.

I hope Eric makes it back to M.C. soon and I also hope that plans to build new public restrooms in Riverside Park come to fruition. It's a worthwhile project.

- Dave
supporter
Ditto, Dave, I agree fully....
He just seemed a little overly angry for the situation so I tried to joke about it.
supporter
What appears to you as anger, appears to me as frustration....IMO, lets just let Eric work out his troubles without the spotlight of MC.COM peeking over his shoulder...
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 13 years ago
It seems to me that, before people start typing, they should do their research. Also, Eric if you need any help on the webcam thing, ever, just message me! I run my own 24/7 webcam, which is a live streaming feed, on my website. Of course it only shows my laptop and monitor, but during the day it peers out on to Sprandel Lane.

~Josh Rath
ucrackmeup:

What anger management classes?

Amorette rarely seems to spare the javelin with regards to me, I was merely returning the sentiment.

If truth = anger, and politically correct = lies, then I fully understand the gravity of our national situation.

Alas - the voice of one...
Eric, I've got to say I love that banner at the top of the MCV. How'd you manage to get that panoramic video of MC? Helicopter?
Kyle,
I took 14 photographs from the rim of the Palisades.

I used Photoshop to stitch them together. This took a couple hours of time, and required some "voo-doo" to prevent the fish-eye effect caused by taking a panorama from a central spot.

The first voo-doo was that each snapshot was taken 10 steps away from the previous one - thus minimizing the effect from the start.

Then, I placed the images from the center out, and performed perspective adjustments to shift each one slightly. Only about half of each image was kept in each iteration. There is one place I chose to fudge to correct an error rather than redo a lot of work to make it "right" - 10 points to who ever can find the error.

Then, because as the the images are skewed as we go out from the center to prevent fish-eye, we actually shorten (lose) image data from the top or the bottom making the final image thinner. I chose to keep the river side of the image and crop out the sky. So, I recreated the sky where it didn't really exist so the image would not be so thin.

There are many errors in the image. There are a couple buttes that are duplicated, one severe landscape shift, fake sky, lighting shifts and such. It was intended to be pretty and representative of Miles City, but I wouldn't dare use it for geo-positioning. I only spent a couple hours on the whole thing.

Thanks for the kudos though, I appreciate it.

Eric
Posted by Bruce Helland (+588) 13 years ago
Eric is just the victim of Miles City's long standing exercise program: Jumping to conclusions and endless speculation.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 13 years ago
I lost 20 pounds speculating.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 13 years ago
I can leap a tall conclusion in a single bound.
Posted by Jeff Newby (+153) 13 years ago
It helps me pass my PT test for the Army all the time
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 13 years ago
Just one more reason I don't miss Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+377) 13 years ago
But Miles City misses you Chuck.............
Posted by jessiker (+292) 13 years ago
Hehehe...

I enjoy Amorette's posts, personally. Not often you find someone who knows quite so much about, well, quite so much.

And Eric, I'm sorry to hear about the loss, and it's awesome you'd be there with them. Must be a lot of stress. I hope things look up for you soon.
Posted by TK (+1624) 13 years ago
Eric--I'm sending you an email through your little envelope icon next to your name, so please be sure to reply!!!!
Thanks
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 13 years ago
I only have one question.

"rain-collecting myopic nose"....what does this mean? A nose isn't very well designed to collect rain water. And applying the term "myopic" to a nose?
Posted by ABC (+383) 13 years ago
A nose can collect lots of rain if it is turned up in the air.

ABC

PS...that is not to say I agree with that applying to Amorette.
Posted by Todd (+11) 13 years ago
Webmaster Larry in Seattle, why does Erik get to use profanity on this site and not be gagged or at least have verbal warning?

Eric, how are things in Greely, CO.? Did you find the Coors brewing plant? You could have quite a time in the Duck Suit, ha!

Amorette, now you know what it feels like to be talked down to, what goes around comes around I always say.

Steve, hey buddy what you been up to, that was a good slam on the duck suit!

Why is it that MilesCity.com webmaster is in Seattle, WA and not in Miles City? What does that say for this website?!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 13 years ago
How about you create a better website, Todd?
It is in the works!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 13 years ago
I always kind of thought of Seattle as a Miles City western suburb.

Cheers!
FH
admin
founder
Todd said:

> It is in the works!

Great! If it becomes popular enough, I'll sell you the MilesCity.* domain names and let you take over.
Why is it that MilesCity.com webmaster is in Seattle, WA and not in Miles City? What does that say for this website?

It says to me Todd that's he's done a pretty damn good job managing the site while putting up with daily bs comments such as the one you made above. He manages the site & contributes to its content as do the rest of us (posting-wise I mean).

I've asked this before but does not being from a certain place instantly preclude them from posting & hosting a site about that place? If so there are going to be a lot fewer of us posting here.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 9/30/2008).]
Your comment could be determined as BS too, Kyle. I am not questioning his mastership, more kudos to him.

My question is that why does the webmaster show a bias against certain people and gag their account when they do not violate any of the terms of usage and let certain people use profanity which is a clear violation of the rule?

That is my point!

I am not questioning his ability of being the webmaster, but just his judgements, which some are not in accordance with the Terms of Usage. I mean, what good is a set of rules if they are not enforced impartially and equally?
admin
founder
Todd, you were gagged before because you were irritating me ... and beyond that, I actually don't have to give any other reason. If you keep it up, then you'll be gagged again.
>>I mean, what good is a set of rules if they are not enforced impartially and equally?

He doesn't have to be impartial or equal. IT IS HIS WEBSITE. You want equality and impartiality, then start your own damn site.

Jeez.

ABC
supporter
Sorta easy to understand why he was initially gagged...
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 13 years ago
I fail to see where Eric used any profanity in this thread. I say, gag Todd, for he is nothing but a troublemaker.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 13 years ago
I didn't realize the Webmaster ever went through the archives of the gagged to grant clemency. What a benevolent webmaster we have.

Eric, that's just an animation? I always thought that was a live feed from the city's Dogpatch surveillance cam
Posted by GVC (+517) 13 years ago
All hail our beloved and loving Webmaster!!

GVC's wife
supporter
Welcome back, Todd. I, for one, missed you.

As for Larry and his management of the website, I think it's great that he can do what he wants as the mood strikes him. That way he isn't just a webmaster - he's more like the Wizard of Oz.

Impartiality in governance has it's place, but c'mon - this is a website, not a nation. And the webmaster is Larry, not Stalin. I can live with that.

Note to Eric: I didn't intend my comment about the duck suit as anything more harmful than a comical jab... I think you had more fun wearing that thing than anybody else the day of the big race.

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (edited 9/30/2008).]
Posted by Leanne Stewart (+207) 13 years ago
Eric: We have some more computer things that we don't need, are you still going to take these, or is this on hold for now?
Hi Steve, good to here from you again. I know it was stated as comical statement. I just like pushing the buttons, lol. From now on I believe I will play the role of Mr. Rogers on this site. "Wouldn't you like to be my neighbor?" That way I will not bruise any fragile egos.

I have to be a real Tom Mix (Gunnar, that was a T.V. personality that was on a daytime western show shown a long time ago, just in case you did not know.)or MR. webmaster will boot me again.

So Steve let me start with you, what is your favorite color? Mine is blue. Do like pretty flowers? I do, I like em, I like em alot!
You should stop smoking the pretty flowers.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 13 years ago
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fail to see where Eric used any profanity in this thread.

He did use the phrase 'ms knowitallbritches'

From wikipedia - ms knowitallbritches is widely used as a moderate profanity, which originated as such from the concept any person who exhibits the belief that he or she possesses a superior intellect and wealth of knowledge while wearing an item of clothing covering the body from the waist down, with separate coverings for each leg, usually stopping just below the knee, though in some cases reaching to the ankles. Until around the mid-20th century, ms knowitallbritches was a more offensive term than it is today.
Posted by Chris Peterson (+162) 13 years ago
WOW!!!
As I drove down Main Street tonight, I noticed that there was a U-Haul parked out back of Brandt Infotech. The store front is cleared out. What is happening? Hmmmn...

ABC
supporter
I previously said: "Welcome back, Todd. I, for one, missed you."

Apparently I was the ONLY one!
Posted by ML (+41) 13 years ago
Does anyone know what happened to Eric? If he is truely gone, does nayone know a good computer guy?
Posted by Dave Thompson (+66) 13 years ago
Me... lol... I do it part time. I had made up a lot of flyers to post on the various corkboards around town, but within a few days, someone came around and they ALL vanished, lol.. so now its just word of mouth...
I was given two names--Tony Ackerman and Jim Davis, with Tony having more experience. Maybe if Brandan (worked at Brandt) is still around (I don't know his last name!), maybe he is still doing some computer work.....
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+519) 13 years ago
Looks like MilesCityVoice.com and the web-cam are down. Is it going to be for good?
I wonder what happened to the webcam. Wasn't it purchased with money donated?
supporter
I donated $50 towards the web cam. FWIW (and I may be in the minority here), if Eric takes the web cam, that's OK w/ me...
Eric is most likely gone for good. A U-haul was seen in the back of his store and more recently pulling out of the alley behind his residence.

ABC
Posted by Dave Thompson (+66) 13 years ago
Just being silly here.. but seems to me that if anybody needs a good PI, there are some to be found in MC... lol
supporter
I think the saying used to be..."Miles City, Home of 8,000 Detectives."
Posted by ML (+41) 13 years ago
Didn't he hold many businesses computer info? If so did he tell them he was leaving?
admin
founder
So is that it, no more webcam? Reminds me of South Park again ...

Eric, e-mail if there will be more webcam, otherwise will someone climb up that pole or the side of the building or whatever and pull that damn thing off and put it somewhere else on Main Street.
To my knowledge, no, he did not tell us he was leaving for good--an employee told us he was going to CO for personal business due to a friend's family member dying, but he would be back. Then later, we hear the business is closed. Only recently did we get a phone call from another employee letting us know how our information was being handled (and yet, nothing is clear!). Guess we're not the only ones, so that makes me feel better---Go figure!!!
founder
Perhaps Eric will update us on his plans.

I'd hate to see him leave for good -- not only because of the loss of the webcam but also because he was civic-minded and benefited the community with volunteer efforts such as his role in Rotary and the Miles City Voice; he participated in local government; he ran a local, Main Street business that employed several people; and he provided services to the community that probably only a few in the area have the skills to provide. His departure would be a loss for Miles City.

- Dave

P.S. Gunnar, what do you think? Any chance Miles City Personal Computing will step up and provide webcam service for Miles City in Eric's absence?
admin
founder
So from what I've heard, Eric was served papers from the Sheriff's office while packing up his U-Haul behind the building.

Eric, where are you? Are you coming back or not?
To be honest I didn't personally feel Eric had the skillset or Education to do what he was doing but felt his heart was in the right place and in his case, his actions spoke louder then his words(in a good way usually).

I think he was under the impression I disliked him but I never met him and only had brief, albeight hilarious, interaction with him through a few "colorful" emails he sent me.

He tried to make a difference and there is something to be said for that. I would have had no problem sitting down for coffee with him when I came back into town.

Overall, just based on what I've seen from him on here, it's a loss for Miles City.
That stinks. I really liked the webcam. My favorite thing was watching it around 2am just to see what would come by. I also liked in winter seeing the snowfall at night. Eric, bring it back if you can.
admin
founder
First you have to bring back Eric.
Posted by Mark (+35) 13 years ago
Anyone have any ideas what he was served papers for?
[This message has been edited by ABC (edited 10/8/2008).]
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 13 years ago
He could be entertaining....I'll give him that. I doubt Nesbit is crying in his beer.
founder
Ha, Bob, based on the primary results I don't think Nesbit was very concerned regardless.

- Dave
supporter
The web-cam disappearing is a great example of why socialism does not work.

As one who contributed to the cause I believe the camera belongs to the community and is not Eric's personal property. Are there other places in town that it can be installed? Are there businesses in town that would sponsor it, like a bank, real estate company, the STAR. Maybe Sacred Heart School could take this on and tie it into the weatherbug network? I would sure like to see it remain as a part of the community. If there is a way that I can help this effort let me know.
supporter
Ricardo:

Really?

Brandt Infotech (or whatever it is/was called) isn't a for-profit enterprise? Hmmmm. Socialism, indeed.
Is the webcam even still up there? Or was it removed?
supporter
Bob Lo: The web cam was purchased by a group of civic mind people and hosted by Eric's business. His enterprise benefited from the groups generosity, which has some interesting parallels to socialism.

Somehow I suspect your list of things to mock me about just got longer.
supporter
Hey! I'm a civic-minded individual! I feel all warm inside, like I just had a shot of Jagermeister! That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me, Roberto!

Even so, I will have to continue to mock your (alleged) logic. Sorry 'bout that.

Also, ARRRRRRRRR.
founder
supporter
As of yesterday, the web cam was still up. Haven't been to work yet today.
Just was downtown. Webcam is still physically above Main Street.

ABC
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 13 years ago
I find it interesting that he was so upset at Amorette for gossip when it was actually true. Guess he was mad because she ruined his opportunity to exit town unnoticed.
So uh, was he asked to leave town or something? I thought this was over a relative or friend in Colorado that needed help.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 13 years ago
I'm told the web cam will be relocated to the West end of Main Street and hosted by another server soon.
supporter
Well, lookatthat, socialism may just work out after all!
Posted by Scott P (+109) 13 years ago
sounds like he was a politician through and through his lipps were moving(he was not telling the truth).
Maybe I AM WRONG BUT THAT HOW IT SEEMS.
Posted by wilmajean (+40) 13 years ago
Love the South Park picture. The worried little faces seem so fitting.
Posted by Chris Peterson (+162) 13 years ago
Eric has an impressive technical comprehension. He definitely is not all talk. He did walk the walk. I would put him up with the likes of Bert or Gunnar for smarts. I for one, having been customer, employee, and friend of Eric's will welcome him back should he decide to return. If not, good luck Eric.
Posted by Mary L. Partridge (+17) 13 years ago
I have used the services of Eric's firm, espicially Brandon. Where's Brandon? Is he still in Miles City? I would really like to get in touch with him as I need some network changes made. Anybody know?
Posted by Montana Kid (+115) 13 years ago
From what I understand, Brandon found a store space and will be opening up his own shop. Should be a good asset to the community. Just an idea...you could leave a msg for him at Parkside Convenience.
supporter
Hope someone lets us know where to reach him...I liked the work he did for me as well...
Posted by VLC (+44) 13 years ago
Hey, Mary! It's Vicki Clear. My son talks to Brandon every day since they worked together for a while and may again. He is opening his own place and if you need him before that, give me a call and I will get his number for you.

Later.
Anyone have a copy of the SLA agreements that were signed for these services? I'd love to see them.