founder
Posted by Laura K. Jones (+22) 19 years ago
Hi!

I have come upon another question for which I don't have an answer in connection with my novel. I am wondering when Miles City got a library, public or otherwise. Could someone tell me?

Thanks,
Laura Jones
Corvallis, Oregon
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
I know this one because the notes are turning up in the 1902 Yellowstone Journals I read for the Stardust column. It was a Carnegie library. Construction started in 1902 and it opened in 1903. If you've been to Miles City, it is the old part of the current library. There were some attempts to organize a sort of private library before that by a couple of ladies clubs but nothing came of it until the 1902 effort.
Laura Brown Zook, who arrived on a steamboat at old Milestown in 1978, was the first librarian and held the position for 40 years.
I have the 75th anniversary article close at hand because I have the 1977 Stars right here.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 19 years ago
So it looks like the Miles City Library is coming up on its centennial next year. That's got to be cause for celebration.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
Previous celebrations have been based on the cornerstone plaque, which says Carnegie Library 1902, but Mike Hamlet, the current head librarian, wants the celebration to mark 100 years of actually being open and they didn't start circulating books until 1903. Although they had almost nothing to circulate when they first opened! Plus they are doing some remodelling and restoration and Mike wants that done before they celebrate.
So, I don't know if formal planning has started but something will be up next year!

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+320) 19 years ago
Speaking of the Library, what happened to its web site? Neither the link here, nor the old address I have work.
Ken Ziebarth
founder
Posted by Laura K. Jones (+22) 19 years ago
Hi,

Thanks everyone, especially Amorette, for the great information. That's pretty exciting that next year will be the library's Centennial year!

Laura Jones