ghosts in miles city
Posted by r gerber (+16) 13 years ago
There is a new website which is collecting Miles City ghost stories. If you have had an experience and would like to share, visit

http://www.geocities.com/mcityparanormal

It's a new site, so not a lot of stories yet, but hopefully it will grow!
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+933) 13 years ago
http://www.geocities.com/...aranormal/

Quick link.

This should be interesting and good timing -- fall, blowing leaves, Halloween, etc.

Any rules? Names? Addresses?

supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4456) 13 years ago
Amorette's house.
Posted by Kacey (+3154) 13 years ago
There are lots of stories of ghostly things around Miles City. Should be interesting. I'll write a few when I get time.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12003) 13 years ago
I know folks who say my house is haunted. For all I know, Miss Snell could be wandering up and down the front stairs with her head tucked underneath her arm. As long as she doesn't get between me and the bathroom at 2 o'clock in the morning, she is welcome to wander!
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 13 years ago
Amorette, you experiencing something in your home would give me some grounds to say that me and my group of friends weren't crazy kids in 2nd grade!!!
founder
supporter
A guest from Ohio was staying in my guest room. (Logical place!) She was awakened by the squeaking of bed springs as someone got out of her bed--which has no squeaky springs. She reported seeing a small boy walk into the closet, which used to be the connecting door between the back room and the front bedroom.

Previous owners have mentioned hearing footsteps on the back stairs.

Me? My house is haunted. My office is haunted. I clean up the store room at the Montana Theater every Saturday night. Never see a thing. I think it's me. I have anti-ghost breath or something.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 9/8/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+826) 13 years ago
I grew up in a house at 616 Knight Street, and recall seeing a small girl (about 6-7 years of age) wearing a long white nightgown at the top of the stairs. This house was about 200 yards from the railroad tracks. I saw her several times during the mid 50's.

I asked several of the old timers in the neighborhood ( and many of them had worked for the railroad) if they knew who she was (or had been.) Two of them told me that her father had been an engineer several decades before. She was in the habit of approaching the tracks when his train came in late in the evening to wave in welcome.

One evening, she came too close to the tracks, stumbled in the path of the train, and was killed. I have no idea if this is true, but I know what I saw.
supporter
So let me ask a question of everyone... maybe should be another thread. Do you believe those ghost TV programs? I find that some of the stuff caught on tape, be it video or audio, is very interesting. I don't think it's made up. Some of the coolest/creepiest things I have seen has been on Ghost Hunters.
Posted by Nancy Wallick (+61) 13 years ago
Amorette, I am curious as to the background of your home. Miss Snell rings a bell, but I cannot pull up the memory if I knew of this person. Would you please be so kind as to give the history of your home and the area of town it is located in. I love hearing the background of homes and haunted stories. A Native American tradition is to burn sweet grass or sage and go to all corners of the home as they believe the spirits lurk in the corners. I have done this to all the homes I have lived in. Last time I picked sage outside of Medora, brought it home to dry, put it in an aluminum cake pan, lit it, and brought it through the entire house. I personally believe it works. You should try it unless you maybe want to share your home with Miss Snell!THere are a lot of bed/breakfasts out east that people go to because they are haunted.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 13 years ago
Podcast about ghost hunting shows:

http://cdn4.libsyn.com/sk...d-4081.mp3
founder
supporter
Since I am violently allergic to sage, I suspect burning it would be worse than any haunting! I don't believe in ghosts so I don't worry about it.
Posted by Michael Wallick (+26) 13 years ago
Nancy,

That is so cool. When we bought our last house, my wife did something similar that she had learned from her sister, who has done a lot of reading in that area.
Whether or not there are ghosts, I know that I have not heard or seen anything go bump in the night. Although, it didn't involve burning, I remember sprinkling something in all the corners, inside and outside.

Superstitious??? Naa!
Posted by stacy regan (+120) 13 years ago
Amorette, it could just be Lake Street, we lived 2 blocks down from you a few yrs back, and had plenty of unexplainable happenings in our house too. After moving, we exchanged stories with the people who bought it, and similar happenings continued. Very Strange, (and I don't believe in ghosts either

Anything to add, Brady??
I lived in three different homes in Miles City that all had spirits. And not very nice ones. But they were nothing compared to some of the people who were still walking the streets alive!
founder
supporter
One of the things I love about living in old houses is their history, knowing who lived in them before me.

I grew up in an old house and can tell you name of practically everyone who lived there, except for a few tenants in the thirties. When I come across a story in the old newspapers about an event at that house, I promptly call up my mother and tell her that there was another wedding (Reginald Billing married Edla Farnum in that house 100 years ago) or another party. Mom has a big Christmas eve party and we have a quote hanging on the wall about a Christmas party Minnie Farnum held around 1901 as part of our Christmas decorations.

When I come across a reference to Carter Snell coming home from Boston for a visit or W.S. having a touch of cholera, I love it, imagining what was happening in my house way back when!

I love picturing ladies in early twentieth century gowns walking up the stairs to the Masonic lodge dining room, with its glass ceiling open to the skylights above, or up to the 'secret' lodge rooms on the top floor of the Elks home.

I would hate to drive away any hint of the previous occupants. This was their house first! Maybe because I grew up in an old house I have this feeling but I love knowing who was here. If I believed in ghosts, I'd welcome them back, show them the improvements and ask what it was like in their day!
Posted by jessiker (+286) 13 years ago
I can't imagine wanting to get rid of the ghosts or spirits or whatever you choose to call them! They've been there long enough, and aren't really capable of doing much harm... why chase them off, or banish them, or whatever?

I love ghost stories - especially true ones - and I'm excited about this new website! Thanks to whoever put it up!!!
Hey all. Some great stories are being posted here. Do you mind if I cut and paste them to the web site?
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1888) 13 years ago
I don't know about ghosts, but I've seen waitresses in miles City restaurants disappear without a trace.
founder
supporter
My favorite moment on Ghost Hunters was when they found a "cold spot." They were in the uninsulated attic of a 200+ year old building. . . in New England. . . in November.

Oooo.
Posted by Peggy (+22) 13 years ago
Amorette, kind of off subject, but Reg and Edla Billing were my great grandparents. Can you possibly send me the article from their wedding? [email protected]
Thank you,
Peggy Billing
founder
supporter
NULL
founder
supporter
Now this is interesting. I did not post the blank message above this message. I wonder what is going on?

There isn't an article so much as a one line mention of the wedding. Weddings were not three ring circuses in Miles City a hundred years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 9/9/2008).]
Posted by Lorraine Merl (+8) 13 years ago
so who started this and if you live in miles city i would like to vist
you kool website by the way ooooo and how is the dike haunted ?????
i would like to be a ghost hunter
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10045) 13 years ago
A haunted dike . . . would that be a poldergeist?
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10015) 13 years ago
Amorette: That's the second time I've seen that happen. Perhaps there is a ghost in the computer you are posting from or MilesCity.com itself.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1660) 13 years ago
Hal,

More like if Sandra Bernhard joined the cast for the next Ghostbusters sequel.

Cheers!
FH
founder
supporter
A ghost in the machine. . .my computer is in the old maid's room and her bed is still here. Maybe she just wants to browse. . .
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2738) 13 years ago
... or maybe she has something to say but just doesn't know how to type.
The priests at the Catholic Church can tell you some stories about the houses around the church. We lived in one behind the church that had a less than friendly energy living in it. It was only when the priests came and starting praying over it and sprinkling holy water that it lost it's power. Although it did put a putty knife into the wall above my friend's head as we were moving out!
Posted by Mary De' (+54) 13 years ago
You may want to talk to the Rocks Program as I have heard stories about things that happened when they were setting up for the haunted house in the upstairs of the Elks building. It would be Joyce Vera that you would talk with. Also people have told me that and I am not 100% sure of this but that John Jackson had some experiences there also. I really enjoy the web site. Hopefully you can get more stories.
founder
supporter
Attention Peggy:

I sent off the article on the Billing Farnum wedding. Let me know if you don't get it!

Scariest thing in the house today--the furnace being disassembled for removal. Made some pretty horrible noises!
Thanks to all for your support! I will track down the 'ghostly' leads you mention.
Posted by Toni Campbell Tivy (+150) 13 years ago
When I was growing up we lived across the street (diagonally) from Mrs. Snell. She was a very nice older lady. She would have us over for tea now and then. When I was about 10 or so she gave me a copy of "The Wind and The Willows" because I loved to read. I still have that book (it was really old when she gave it to me-maybe it's an antique now). If she is a ghost, she must be a really sweet one!
supporter
So have people tried to do 'ghost hunting', EVP work, video, etc. in MC? There should be some good stuff in a lot of buildings there.
Posted by JaDee (+74) 13 years ago
I LOVE GHOSTHUNTERS!!! You should check out Paranormal State!!
I just would like to say to all the skeptics out there, that you should at least if not only keep an open mind about the existance of ghosts, for I have lived in a haunted house and am here to say I am one of many who can say that ghosts really do exist!! So until somehting happens to you just keep your mind open.
From yesterday's Gazette...you can go ghost hunting in Billings with an expert!

http://www.billingsgazett...enter.txt
supporter
sponsor
I am booking hauntings now! Simply send me your info and I can schedule you a date and package. Choose from the following:

Spooky Sounds in the Night- $100.00 or 1,000,000 yen depending on how things go economically for the next few decades.

Apparent Apparition- $250.00 or 300 rubles depending on how things go economically, etc., etc..

Great Gobs of Ghoul!- $500.00 or 875 dinars depending on yadda-yadda-yadda.

Customized Hauntings available- Just ask!

Send all monies NOW while I am living. Expected date of death is approximately 2022. Please indicate whether or not you would like to move your haunting ahead in the event of tragedy which results in my early and untimely death. This might end up being a bonus for you since I will probably be really ticked off about it.

Order now!!

Cheers!
FH
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+151) 13 years ago
Interesting thread....

Back when I worked for the "Phone Farm" we had a PUC complaint that our microwave radio was causing strange events at a "Mrs. Humes" home. I dispatched one of my radio engineers, and went along myself, to see what we could measure with a spectrum analyzer. Nothing of course showed up....

However, when I entered the house I felt a "presence" that was not friendly. Mrs. Hume, a very nice retired teacher mentioned that pictures were moved to be off center and soot marks appeared on the walls. Sorry, but that doesn't sound like microwave radiation that can't be measured by me.

I didn't say a word while there but when I got back to the truck to leave my associate said "Did you feel that"? I will always regret that I didn't go straight back the the house and tell Mrs. Hume that she had a very unfriendly ghost and needed to enlist either ghostbusters or a "man of the cloth".

Makes one wonder what goes one when a spirit can't cross over to the other side.

Cheers,

Jon
Posted by GVC (+510) 13 years ago
JaDee,

I'd love to know what you experienced.

gvc's wife
Posted by Sharlene (+1205) 13 years ago
I am rather curious as to the house my mother used to live in until a couple months ago, 1711 Daly. When her and my step-dad bought the house in early 2002, they were told that the reason it was empty is that a man hung himself in the carport. Amorette, do you know the history regarding this house or know any information about it? Mom told me that sometime around 3am or so, she would wake up to someone calling her name. My step-dad was a trucker and would be gone a lot and it always happened when he was gone. I myself experienced something when I would go check on the house while they were out of town. I could "sense" I wasn't the only one in the house and I would hear footsteps upstairs when I was downstairs with no one else in the house. Let me know if you have any info.
Sharlene
Posted by TALBOT (+246) 13 years ago
My son just got a book from the library called "Haunted Montana" and there are two stories in the book about ghosts in Miles City. One is said to haunt room 250 (the Antique Room) in the Olive Hotel. The other one is supposedly in the Club 519.
When I looked it up it brought me to the Montana Historical Site. It says a contract researcher lives at 1711 Daly.
http://mhs.mt.gov/research/library/contractres.asp
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+933) 13 years ago
I personally don't believe in ghost stories, but (here comes the champion fence sitter) have heard many interesting stories from people I know and consider sane, truthful people. I do enjoy a good story and am ready to read more.
I was about twelve years old, and my mom and I moved to this small place in Colorado named Burns. This town is only a post office, and out in the middle of nowhere, and I mean right in the mountains. Well anyhow, my moms friend that we where living with worked for this guy who owns a bunch of land around there, and if you take care of the land you can live in the houses for free.

So when we first moved into this house, a few strange but little things started happening, mainly when someone was there alone. Things like footsteps walking across the floor upstairs when your the only one there..mind you these are loud and clear footsteps. We had this broom standing at the top of the stairs, and you would always hear it fall over, but when you went and looked it was still standing.

Well come to find out some locals at a small bar that was about thirteen miles away or so said that a man by the name of Irish Hawkings lived in the house for many years and loved the place, visited the bar on a regular basis, and usually headed home about one or so. So one night my mom and her friend where sittin up and having a few, when they heard the door handle jiggle. Now this is one of the old metal door handles, so clearly has to be messed with to make noise. My mom joking around says "Come on in Irish, you drunk SOB" and the door swung open.

This is one of many things that happened in that house. I once heard footsteps coming up the stairs loudly, and nobody there but me, also screendoors would slam shut, then they would be locked.(they had those hook latches), now any skeptic could say, well those can lock themselves, but every time? So he locked us outside a few times, had to use the screwdriver to get in.hehe. At night sometimes you could hear my basketball bouncing outside, and when you would go out there the ball would be laying outside of the box that it was in. No joke, all of these things really happened! After awhile we just kind of learned to live with it. Sounds strange but we eventually just acted as though things where not even happening,although sometimes I was really scared since I was only twelve.

Although spooky, now that I look back on that experience I'm really glad that it happened because now I can truly say ghosts are real! There is no way that any skeptic could explain any of that scientifically. My husband is a huge skeptic, and is always giving me a lot of crap about watching Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State and believing it. I say that I should take him there for a little visit. There is no doubt in my mind that if nobody has helped that ghost cross over, then he is still there, and the people who are currently living there know it.
Posted by M G (+200) 13 years ago
"I am booking hauntings now! Simply send me your info and I can schedule you a date and package."

Frank,
I'm convinced that you have a potentially lucrative business idea going there. I strongly recommend starting your contract sales on Ebay. How could you possibly go wrong..?. With today's economy a guys got to supplement his income however possible. Keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by M G (edited 10/26/2008).]
supporter
sponsor
I will MG, thanks. No takers as of yet, but I am thinking of doing a few pro bono, just to get the ball rolling. Like Hal, and maybe Gunnar....OOOOOoooOOOOO!!!

Shudders!
FH
Kaycee - that researcher is my mom. She does research for geneology here in Miles City. She sold the house in August to someone else. What I'm curious about is who lived there previously before her and my dad bought it. I would like to know more about the history of it. Thanks for looking up the info though. If you can find out who the man was that hung himself in the carport, I would appreciate it. Kind of interesting to know that I think that guys spirit still lives there....or is it someone else?
supporter
sponsor
I know that he has been labeled as a hanger-on. I told him to quit hanging around and get a job. He said he was only interested on serving on a jury in a really close case, so the jury will not be able to reach a verdict. He misunderstood an ad and thought he might be able to make it as an actor in x-rated videos. He told me he is suffering from a constant hang nail, 10 of them to be exact. He has so many hang-ups! He loves to make prank calls and yell "I hung-up before you!" He is looking for 9 friends to go surfing with. He keeps telling me to quit guessing letters, it's too late. Other than that, I don't know anything at all.

Cheers!
FH
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10045) 13 years ago
Frank I gotta hand it to you - why just the other day I was day saying: "If there are on flies on Frank, he's probably charging them rent." This advanced booking hauntings thing - heck, it's actually whacky enough you might make something of it. MG is right - maybe you should try selling this on eBay.
Posted by hilinetransplant (+124) 13 years ago
This is in response to donna stebbins article on that ghostly little girl she experienced. I grew up and lived at 615 knight all through my childhood. the tracks were just a stones throw away.I never had any close encounters like she has had, but i did remember seeing a girl in white standing by the tracks while walking our dog at around 10 pm one noght. It wasn't a crisp clear vision, but it freaked me out. I went back in the house right away and never told anyone about it, I never really wanted to walk the dog at night again after that and us three boys would always get in an argument about who was gonna walk the dog. OH, and by the way my years growing up at that time were in the 60's and 70's and 80's at that house. It's still there also. The time i experienced it was in 70-71.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+382) 13 years ago
Sharlene-Some friends of mine used to live in the house you're referring to.[This would be the second house on the west side of Daly from the 4 way stop on Edgewood,correct?]A guy with the nickname "Scrufty" shot himself in one of the bedrooms-some time in the 80's,I'm thinking.Not a very nice thing to come home to.
Wow, Ken. That is the house I'm talking about. Very interesting to boot. I'm wondering if that was the room my mom had as her bedroom. It was the last bedroom on the left as you walk down the hallway. The spare room on the right had a half bath hooked to it. I will let my mom know this new info. If you have any other info, I would love to hear it. Still curious about the guy in the carport. Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+826) 13 years ago
This is in response to hilinetransplant. I live in Great Falls now, and have often wondered if that poor little spirit found rest. Apparently not, from your post. On my infrequent visits to MC, I drive past our old house and I always think about her.

I am not a "true believer," but I do think that sometimes when something has been left undone, energy can be caught in a "loop," with the same actions played out over and over again. Your experience with what was evidently the same wandering spirit just reinforces that belief.
Posted by hilinetransplant (+124) 13 years ago
dona, i live in havre now and i have not been back in miles for a few years but when i do get back i love to drive by the house i grew up in and relive the times i spent my youth in. I saw that girl just once, but once was enough.
Posted by uno (+9) 13 years ago
Ok, getting back to the ghost at the Elks Lodge? I have heard some awesome stories that have happened to recent residents of the apartment upstairs! SPOOKY!!! Hearing ballroom music coming from the big ballroom, glasses being thrown from the bar shelves, a knock at the door at the end of the bar with noone there when the door is opened, and a few other gruesome sights at the apartment. There is a picture that is hanging on the wall with a ghostly figure of a man in it. It was a group picture taken way back when, under the moose that hangs in the room on the main floor. From what I was told he was a bartender there from a long time ago. I don't know if the picture is still hanging there but I've seen it several times and every time creeps me out! I would love to go back up there and see what happens, but not by myself!
founder
supporter
The "apartment" isn't a real apartment--doesn't have full kitchen, that sort of thing--and it hasn't been occupied for a number of years. Last time I was in it, it was completely empty of furnishing and/or decorations. It was where the long time Steward of the Elks lived for quite a number of years and, I believe, no one has lived in since his death.
Oh, and there are no moose hanging in the Elks lodge. Only Elk!
Posted by uno (+9) 13 years ago
Oops! Sorry about the moose thing, didn't mean to offend. Anyway, I do know of a Miles City man who in fact lived up there for a while. He is where I heard these stories from. Still creepy though.
founder
supporter
My grandfather was a member of the Elks for more than 50 years and many a breakfast I ate in that basement. It is one of the most wonderful buildings in Miles City, haunted or not! So, no moose, just elk! They used to have a full-sized mounted elk but he got a bit ratty and they got rid of him.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by ber (+13) 13 years ago
I am new to Miles City.com, but I grew up in MIles City and I am really enjoying this forum! I too have a "ghost story" to share. My mother and step-father moved to a house near Kircher School after they were married. During the summers of my college years, I would stay there and I experienced a couple of really weird things. One night I came home at about 2:00 and the night was very still. Not a hint of a breeze and no noises. AS I was walking to the house, the gravel behind me started to shuffle around. I turned behind me to look and see what was there, but there was nothing and no gravel moving. THis happend a couple of times on the way to the house and I was so freaked out, I finally ran to get inside. Later I explained it away by saying that my boots had kicked up the gravel, but after what happened a week later-I wasn't so sure.
A week later I was reading in my room late at night. My desk light was on and I had just rolled over to shut it off to go to sleep. It couldn't have been more than 5 minutes later that I heard talking from the doorway. I put my glasses back on and looked up and saw a lady and a little girl in my doorway. They were talking to each other, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Needless to say-I freaked out BIG TIME! I ran out of my room and went downstairs and slept for the night. Understand that I was in college at the time-not a kid. I told my family about what had happened, but of course they didn't believe me.
Do I believe in ghosts? THat's a tough question. I know what I experienced and what I saw, but...