MT Rep Theatre presents "The Beat Generation"
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2497) 15 years ago
The Miles City Public Library is proud to host the MT Repertory Theatre's fall performance of:

THE BEAT GENERATION
Wednesday, September 22nd, 7:00p.m.
One performance only, free and open to the public

Written by Rebecca Knickmeier, this fifty-minute dramatic piece showcases the ideas and beliefs of the Beat Generation, including the literary works of Kerouac, Ginsberg, and Ferlinghetti. Jazz selections by Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, and Charles Mingus enhance the performance.

This show offers enlightening information on the political and social events that shaped these writers.

For more information, please contact the Miles City Public Library @ 234-1496, [email protected], or our website www.milescitypubliclibrary.org.

Thank you for supporting the arts and your local public library.

Hannah Nash
Miles City Public Library
Posted by Mike Hamlett (+7) 15 years ago
Ever wonder where the counter culture came from? Do you know who was the last person (Beat or non-Beat) to have his book Banned in Boston(not to mention seized by customs when they tried to bring it into the country)? Who predicted the "Rucksack Revolution" and by doing so gave the hippies permission to be themselves?

Don't know? Think you might know? Wanta find out? Come to the Miles City Public Library on September 22 at 7PM and get some answers when the Montana Repertory Theatre presents THE BEAT GENERATION.

Kerouac...Ginsberg...Burroughs...Cassady...Corso

Who are these guys? Why should you care?

Come to the Miles City Public Library on September 22 and find out,

As a matter of fact, come earlier and check out the broadest collection of Beat literature in Eastern Montana, get gift ideas for Grandma and order your selections from Miles City Books and News (had to give you a plug,Joe).

Put it on your calendar folks, THE BEAT GENERATION, September 22, 7PM, Miles City Public Library...FREE...FREE...FREE...and open to all
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13655) 15 years ago
(Note to confused Miles Citians wondering what this is about...think of Bob Denver ("Gilligan") starring as Maynard G. Krebs in the early 1960s television series "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis".)
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3083) 15 years ago
Mike and Hannah, I wrote a song about these major influences (excluding Bob Denver) in my poetry, literature, travels and life a couple of years ago. I would be happy to preview it for you and do it before or after the performance for you if you would like. It is titled "Fourty Years Down The Road"
Posted by Mike Hamlett (+7) 15 years ago
Thanks Tucker, sounds like a great idea. Stop by or give me a holler if you're going to be at the bookstore this week and I'll pop over.
Mike
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9770) 15 years ago
EXCLUDING BOB DENVER!!!! Shame on you, Mr. Bolton. Shame.

Hey, Maynard G. Krebs and his reaction to "work" has always been my idol. Never could achieve worklessness but I'm working on it.

Amorette
Posted by Lee Akers (+262) 15 years ago
May have to go see it. Kinda relive my Beatnik days. Like, wow, man.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2497) 15 years ago
THE BEAT GENERATION-

Now has an opening act! Local Tucker Bolton is scheduled to perform before curtain time on Wednesday night.

Come listen to his performance, "Forty Years Down the Road", highlighting the influences of Kerouac and the Beats.

Wednesday night keeps getting better and better...
Join us for FREE theatre and entertainment. Man, you dig all this!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3083) 15 years ago
Just a reminder that the "Beat" event is tonight at the Library. All of the hep cats will be in attendance. Like cool daddy-o.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13655) 15 years ago
Leave the funny cigarettes at home, kids.
Posted by Lee Akers (+262) 15 years ago
Saw the presentation tonight. Very good. Two of the actors were spot on. The fellow with the beard who did Ginsberg, should have watched some Ginsberg films. He was a pretty good bass player though. All-in-all A very enjoyable evening.

It like, took me back, man, like, way back. You dig?

By the way, the finger snapping instead of applause comes from the days when poetry readings were done in small (usually) basement rooms. Applause caused the other tennants to freak, and call the fuzz. So they began to snap their fingers instead. Sometimes you see some old-time beatniks do it today. Right Tucker?

There was a lot of underground culture then, as there is now. Cats didn't shake hands, they "slipped some skin" by lightly sliding open hands against the other cat's. Like a "high five," only at waist level, and with no violent slapping.

Cats like, never yelled. It wasn't "cool." The essence of cool, was a detachment to the world, and an unflapability.

Wow, man, like, you should have been there. It was frantic, man, frantic.

[This message has been edited by Lee Akers (edited 9/22/2004).]

[This message has been edited by Lee Akers (edited 9/22/2004).]