William Frederick Schmalsle
Posted by Ellen Compton (+42) 13 years ago
I am trying to find the cemetary and grave for my relative, William Frederick Schmalsle. I sent for his obituary and all I received was William Schmalsle, evidently his brother William Jacob Schmalsle because W. J. Schmalsle's wife was listed on it. I have tried numerous searches but nothing comes up. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks for your help.
Ellen K. Compton (Mrs.)
[email protected]
Posted by angelsfy (+426) 13 years ago
i think he was buried in the vet. part of the cemetary..try there......
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 13 years ago
I have the cemetery guide at the office. If my little pea brain cooperates, I'll try to look it up tomorrow.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 13 years ago
Ellen,

Do you have the photo of William F Schmalsle that is on the Red River War site? http://www.mobeetie.com/pages/rrwar.htm.

"WILLIAM F. SCHMALSLE, SCOUT German born frontiersman hired by Lieutenant Frank Baldwin at Fort Dodge as a scout for the Miles' expedition into the Panhandle of Texas. His slight build and short stature hardly suggested he would become a hero, but he was hired because he could shoot and ride. He was a scout with the Lyman wagon train. Schmalsle exhibited his courage, when, on September 10, 1874, he slipped out under the cover of darkness to ride seventy-five miles to Fort Supply for help. On November 8, 1874, Schmalsle spotted Grey Beard's Cheyenne camp on McClellan Creek and reported to Baldwin who charged the camp and rescued the youngest Germaine sisters."

I only had a few minutes to look him up. I don't know if this is his brother or him. Sometimes German born immigrants had 3 or 4 first names. Do you have birth & death dates?

I could only find a Jacob F Schmalsle born abt 1841 in Germany- father J. Schmalsle born abt 1815 Germany- both in Kansas census in 1875- March on Kill Creek, Osborne County- as farmers- the senior from Ohio to Kansas- junior from Colorado.

He applied for Union Civil War Veteran Pension when living in Montana- I could not make out the year on the card (18_7or4)- former member of both Colorado Calvary & Infantry Union CW. His marble headstone provided for US Civil War veterans was placed in Los Angeles National Cemetery, 950 So Sepulveda Blvd- Sect1 RowH Site9, his deathdate 7 Sept 1892.

Found an entry for William F Schmalsle, Pasadena Directory 1888-90 in Real Estate.
I missed this the first time.
It appears as though JF Schmalsle & William F were same person. In 1886 lawsuit in Miles City, Vaughn v. Schmalsle real estate deal. Schmalsle is first referenced as JF & later as William F. He & Nelson Miles were successful defendents in the real estate/mortgage lawsuit.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 13 years ago
The only Schmalsle in the local cemetery is Albert. I assume relative, since I believe William's brother lived here as well. William was very influential in early Miles City. I did a history column on him several years ago.

I think he was involved with George Miles, since George, the General's nephew, was very active in early Miles City. Nelson wasn't and was gone in 1881.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 8/20/2008).]
I found the Montana Supreme Court decision reversing the earlier court decision. This time in favor of Jennie Vaughn. It is on Google Books, "Lawyer Reports Annotated" published by Lawyer Co-operative Publishing in 1905, pages 411-415.