Wondering about illnesses in Miles City
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 13 years ago
Just curious how many from MC have been afflicted with alzheimers, parkinsons, ms and other catastrophic diseases. It seems that almost every week I hear of another who has been diagnosed. I personally have one family member with parkinsons, one with alzheimers and two with ms.
Posted by Keli A. (+105) 13 years ago
My mom has MS and my grandpa has parkinsons.

Why are you interested in this?

just wondering.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+476) 13 years ago
I'm not the person who asked, but I have always wondered about environmental issues around that area and whether or not these debilitating illnesses are at a higher per capita ratio than elsewhere.

So many of my relatives from the Kinsey and Tongue River area have diabetes and cancer. I used to swim in those irrigation ditches with the other kids-now I wonder if I was awash in DDT or some other nasty chemical runoff from the fields. I certainly feel that as I get older I have a lot higher chance of getting cancer than the general population, although maybe I'm just being paranoid based on family history.
I have read information about the towns that are upwind from Colstrip having higher rates of illnesses. I know several people from Colstrip who have weird illnesses. Very odd, rare diseases. I also know several who have died in their 40's and 50's from odd cancers. I'm just curious as to the actual impact. I know that we are so used to people having cancer that it isn't questioned. But my grandfather died in MC long ago from leukemia. My uncle died long ago in his 40's from a rapid stomach cancer. My aunt died at 39 from diabetes. It all seems too coincidental.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 13 years ago
The State or Feds would know if there were unusual incidents of disease. The City certainly wouldn't track them. I have never noticed anything out of the ordinary. We have an older than average population, which might account for some things. And people do die of something. Everyone. Really.

Contact the State Health Department if you are genuinely concerned and not just in the mood to spread some fear and rumors.
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2541) 13 years ago
Here are some offical numbers if anyone is interestd. If you dig a little deeper into the cancer section, there is studies on cancer clusters around the state.

http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/s...ndex.shtml

[This message has been edited by tom regan (edited 7/28/2008).]

[This message has been edited by tom regan (edited 7/28/2008).]
Amorette,
You are making assumptions about why I wrote what I did. You have no idea. I am not trying to start fear and rumors. I have many people who have been born, raised and still live in Miles City with odd health problems. Stop making assumptions.
Posted by MollieP (+137) 13 years ago
I have also noticed what you are talking about Kacey. In dealing with some recent medical problems in our family, we also discovered something called Normal Pressure Hydrocephalis (sp?) or NPH. this was discovered through a cat scan. We did however start out with a Alzheimers diagnosis, and went a bit further. The symtoms are very similar to Alzheimers and Parkinsons, however NPH is treatable, the sooner the better though.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 13 years ago
Also - Wear gloves when changing your tires! Huge hepatitis risk!
Posted by gypsykim (+1557) 13 years ago
Keep in mind that we also have better detection and prevention systems than were in place 50 years ago. So while it may seem like more people have certain diseases, in reality, there are only being diagnosed and treated earlier, which is good for everyone.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 13 years ago
BOB!
Mollie,
NPH is also an issue in my family. Unfortunately the surgery to correct it has it's own issues. I know of another who had the surgery and was better for a short time. Then she developed seizures. So all of the other health issues have to be taken into account before proceeding.
Posted by Vicky Strom (+126) 13 years ago
NPH can be very bad too! My dad suffers from this disease and is currently attempting to recover from his last surgeries. It is a long story but many times the prognosis for NPH isn't very good.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 13 years ago
People are living longer, so we can develop conditions that were undiagnosed a few decades ago. 65 was chosen as the retirement age because something like less than 5% of the working population were expected to reach that age a century ago. People died of so many things when they were young, they couldn't live long enough to develop other problems.

And, as gypsykim said, we can now diagnose problems we didn't even know existed. Did you know cystic fibrosis, as a diagnosis, is only 50 years old? People used to die of it but it was called a dozen different things. The problems I'm having now would have killed me 100 years ago and would probably have been written off as heart failure when heart failure was actually the symptom of an underlying disease that could neither be detected or treated.

People with weak immune systems or genetic problems that would have died in infancy are now living longer and developing problems. If they had died of scarlet fever or smallpox or diphtheria as a child, they wouldn't have lived long enough to develop cancer or whatever.

Yes, we do have toxins in the air, soil and water our ancestors didn't have, which cause problems folks dying of the plague couldn't have imagined but I don't think dozens of unconnected diseases are due to "something" around Miles City. They are different conditions, with different causes, and simply appear because people have to die of something.
Posted by Vicky Strom (+126) 13 years ago
I agree, Amorette. Technology is allowing people to be diagnosed with diseases that were untreatable in the past.

I don't think that my dad's hydrocephalus is related to Miles City in any way.