Stupidity
Posted by M G (+192) 14 years ago
I once heard someone say, "generally speaking, people are stupid" I thought the statement was quite harsh at the time but since then I spent about twenty minutes watching people navigate the Walmart parking lot. Is it just me or is the angle of the spaces and the arrows painted on the lanes to difficult to figure out?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10198) 14 years ago
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
--Professor Beau Gus D'Gree
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 14 years ago
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

-Albert Einstein

Although in this case I have my doubts that understanding of the lines was the real problem.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1282) 14 years ago
Stupid is as Stupid does -- Forest Gump. If you're going to quote someone make it someone with clout that Miles City.com readers have heard of.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Schott (edited 7/22/2008).]
Posted by Mrae2 (+95) 14 years ago
The malady of the ignorant is being ignorant of one's own ignorance.
Posted by Brian (+359) 14 years ago
I have to admit that once in awhile, I flub the Wal-mart parking directions, and for anybody that I have confused/annoyed/filled with thoughts of murder, I apologize.

Even the smartest person can do something insanely dumb from time to time. This one time, for the sake of curiosity, I shocked myself with a cattle-prod. Afterwords I said, "Damn, that hurt!" Third worst date I've ever been on.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1348) 14 years ago
The cow never called you back huh?
Left myself open for that one. Good one, J.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 7/22/2008).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>. . . .I shocked myself with a cattle-prod.

Obviously it was a moooving experience for you.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17910) 14 years ago
Udderly titillating.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Yeah, it sounds like one of those Hugh Heifer stories from the Playboy Mansion.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1891) 14 years ago
M G - Haven't you ever noticed that everyone else on the road is either crazy or stupid while you, meanwhile, are a perfect driver?
No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers. ~Author Unknown

However, I must say that any memory of vehicular stupidity escapes me. Then again my family suffers from selective memory loss.
Posted by Major Pain (+199) 14 years ago
Find someone with an IQ of 100. Talk to them in depth. Find out what they know, what they think about what they know.

By definition, this person is in the middle of the cognitive pack; 1/2 of the people have the same or more general mental capacity, 1/2 have the same or less (the center peak of the graph, at 100, holds quite a few people... so you can't assign 50% of the people to either side of 100, to contradict George Carlin.)

Then consider that no matter what the mental capacity of an individual might be, lack of information or the presence of disinformation such as that promoted by pseudoscience, religion and superstition can take what intelligence a person has and outright waste a good deal of it by providing an inaccurate worldview upon which to build understanding.

Do this evaluation a few times, and you'll most likely have an entirely new perception of how pervasive stupidity is -- and what it is.
Posted by Dave Thompson (+62) 14 years ago
...Haven't you ever noticed that everyone else on the road is either crazy or stupid while you, meanwhile, are a perfect driver?...

I dont care if they be crazy or stupid.. im used to that from being in California and OKC....

BUT...

if the speed limit is 25.. then DO 25... not 15.. or 10.. ALL THE WAY DOWN MAIN STREET!!!.. then continue to do 15.. or 10.. ALL THE WAY DOWN HAYNES STREET!!! JUST STOP IT!!! lol

THAT irks me... other than that.. I like Miles City traffic... or lack thereof...

[This message has been edited by Dave Thompson (edited 7/23/2008).]
I don't know....I've lived in Miles City for 11 years and if I've learned anything, its that bicyclists should stay on the sidewalk because drivers hardly ever see them.
supporter
If you've ever ridden a bike much, you know that riding on the sidewalk is not a viable option if you want to go more than 5 mph and not put pedestrians in mortal danger. It's true though, that most people in cars are not watching for bicycles, and that is true here in California as well.
Posted by Little Chick (+61) 14 years ago
Isn't it illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk? If nothing else it is dangerous. I have very little trouble riding my bike on the roads around here but would hate to try it in a big city.
supporter
Yes it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1815) 14 years ago
I'm going out on a limb, and saying in M.C. it's only illegal in the business district, at least that was the "law" 10 years ago.
Posted by hallick (+119) 14 years ago
Idiot's guide to STUPIDITY, they gave these out in school didn't they? We are in the day and age were we seem to need a book to read how to do this or that. The titles are blatant enough; Idiots guide to... and ... for dummies.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thats perfect..

AKA "How to git 'round the Walmart lot"
Posted by Todd Larson (+135) 14 years ago
Why is it, the car that you are following displays a disabled embellem on its license plate, that is a good chance that the driver's only handicap is driving, has anyone noticed that?

They have to be the most annoying drivers out there, except the hicks from Rosebud County and Prairie County that drive like they are still out on the farm or drive around with their blinker on and are not turning.

I have to agree with Jeff Foxworthy, "If the driver that cuts you off does not wave and give you the little hi sign, it should be perfectly legal to get up underneath them and loosen them up and put them into the wall." Or this case the Wacker/ABC Glass drive-through.

One more item that totally torks me, failure to yield at a posted intersection and at an uncontrolled intersection. I almost got smucked by a policeman at a posted intersection and I had the right of way, damn that sure brought forth a few choice adjectives! For those who might be reading this and wondering, in an uncontrolled intersection you must yield to the vehicle that is coming from your right to left, that is the law! WAKE UP!

OK I am off my soap box now.

[This message has been edited by Todd Larson (edited 8/5/2008).]
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+92) 14 years ago
I can explain the driving around with the blinker on and not turning. I wear hearing aids (at 49) and still cannot hear the blinker. You put in earplugs yourself and see if you can remember to turn it off every time you turn it on. Irritates my family, but they are slowly understanding and reminding me to turn it off.

Blinking in Washington State,
Gail

[This message has been edited by Gail Finch Shipek (edited 8/5/2008).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
"You might go blind from that." I'm like, 'I got two eyes.'"
http://www.freep.com/apps...8808030551

I'm starting to sense that none of us here has an inkling as to what constitutes true stupidity.
Posted by TK (+1621) 14 years ago
"I can explain the driving around with the blinker on and not turning. I wear hearing aids (at 49) and still cannot hear the blinker. You put in earplugs yourself and see if you can remember to turn it off every time you turn it on. Irritates my family, but they are slowly understanding and reminding me to turn it off."

My dad has had hearing problems ever since I can remember, and has hearing aids; yet that blinker still stays on when he has made lane changes, turns, etc....So that I can understand.....but if you're leaving your blinker on and not turning on PURPOSE, then that qualifies for STUPIDITY and MORONIC!!!! (have we all had those "moments" at some point in our lives????? LOL)