Rev. Isaac Newton Ritner
Posted by Robert Demarest (+11) 11 years ago
Hi,
I'm doing research on my wife's family, the Ritner's. I am looking for any information on Capt (Rev) Isaac N. Ritner. I know he was the Post Chaplain at Fort Keogh in the late 1800,s and his daughter Laura married George Miles. Other than that, I have an e-mail from a genealogy website that he is the son of George and Mary Ritner of PA. Any information would be great...Thanks
Posted by Audrey R. sizelove (+7) 11 years ago
I am doing research on Rev. I. Newton Ritner, but not for genealogy purposes. He was a member of the 49th PA Volunteer Infantry, he may have enlisted in Juniata County, PA. It was reported in a local newspaper [Port Royal Times, ca 1880] that he had collected 400 pictures of veterans of this regiment. Have you come across any information on this subject?

I am assuming you know that he lived for a time in Juniata County, PA.

thanks,
Audrey Sizelove
Juniata County Historical Society
Mifflintown, PA
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 11 years ago
If you've not already found this material, there's brief mention of one Isaac Newton Ritner in the following:

http://books.google.com/b...tAP77eDbAw

http://books.google.com/b...tAP77eDbAw
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+590) 11 years ago
Audrey- Regarding civil war photo collection
I saw mention of researchers looking for a book written including 400 photos by Lt. I. Newton Ritner about the 40th PA Vol. It was suggested they search Abraham Lincoln Bookstore in Chicago & Baldwin's Bookstore in West Chester, PA for regimental histories.

Robert- Genealogy on Isaac Newton Ritner
(Do not confuse him with Isaac Newton Ritner son of Henry born in Danville Iowa about 1838.) Isaac Newton Ritner born Feb 1841 died May 1903 Philadelphia, buried Malvern, Chester Co, PA.

I found some of this when previously researching Nelson Miles marriage to his daughter. I am not certain what you already have. If you would like my notes, send me a private email with your address & I'll mail them to you. He was son of George & Mary Ritner. I found 8 siblings. In old census records I found it spelled Rittmer & Richner & Rittener. I only found them because of the unusual name of Elhira- Isaac's youngest sister.

Isaac Newton Ritner was married to Rachel Jane Beale & had 3 children.

"May 2, 1865- Rev David J Beale married to Mary Moore at Howard, Centre County, in the morning. He then came to Bealetown and on that evening married I.Newton Ritner of Philadelphia, to his sister R. Jennie Beale."- Almanacs of Port Royal

She was greatgreatgranddaughter of John Beale of England who came to Pennsylvania with the Penn family & was a surveyor. Daughter of Joshua Beale b1875 & Milly Milliken- Joshua was son of David Beale b1828 Chester Co & Rachel McConnell married 1776, Rachel died 1843.-David was son of William Beale- William Beale son of John Beale the immigrant mentioned above. (from Bio of her brother James M. Beale of Juniata Co, PA)

Children of Isaac Newton Ritner:

1Minnette Beale b abt1867 d May1903 Philadelphia PA married __Farley- daughter J.Elizabeth Farley

2Laura Genevieve b 1871 d 1943 Portland, OR buried Chicago married 1897 Nelson Miles(d1935 Portland,OR)- daug Ruth m Wm Martin, daug Helena Genevieve m Miles Rollen Hallett, daug Mary Curtis 1903-1904.

3Albert K b1873 married Myrtle N. when he was 53 & she was 41 in Delaware Co PA. (in 1930 PA Delaware census)

1920 & 1910 Philadelphia census Albert K was single & his aunt Elhira E was living with him. He was bookkeeper & comptroller for PRR (steam railroad).

1920 MT Custer MilesCity
Rachel J Ritner 79 yr old widow living in widowed daughter's house- Minnette Farley & Albert E Quintin 31 single nephew manager of realestate office...they lived next door to Laura & Nelson Miles- he bank president.

1900 PA Philadelphia ward 34
Ritner Newton I, Rachel J, & Albert K, had servant Emma Diller. He was clergyman, Albert clerk at PRR

1880 PA Philadelphia indexed "Jeway" Ritner
Ritner Isaac 39 minister PA NJ PA
Jane 39 PA PA PA
Minnie 13 daug
Laura 9 daug
Albert 7 son
Dorff, Nancy 35 servant

also Philadelphia 1880
Madora, James 41 carpenter
Elizabeth 34 wife
Mabel 2 daug
Ritner, Maggie 29 sister law saleslady
Ritner, Elhira 20 sister law at home

1870 PA Philadelphia
Ritner, Isaac N 29 $300 clerk shoe sewing machine co
R. Jane 29
Minnie B 3
Myers, Harriet 42 domestic

1870 PA Philadelphia ward 14
Ritner, George 58 coal agent $1,000 PA
Mary 49
Julia 22 saleslady store
Lizzie 25 no occupation
Margaret 20 saleslady store
Gideon 16 apprentice sign painter
Mary 13 at school
Elhira 10 at at school

1860 PA Juniata Co - Lack- Peru Mills
VanDyke William household
Ritner, Isaac N 22 single school teacher

1860 Philadelphia ward 10 spelled Rittmer in index
Geo C Rittener 46 RR Conductor $500 PA
Mary F 40 PA
Sarah W 17 PA (all children below born PA)
Julia 12 school
Maggie 10 school
Clara J 7 school
Mary I 4
Elhira E 3/12

1850 Pennsylvania Chester Co, Easttown spelled Richner in index
George Rickner 35 farrier $1000 PA
Mary 30 PA
Isaac N 10 at school PA (all children below born PA)
Sarah W 8 at school
Elizabeth W 6 at school
Juliann 4
Catherine Thomas 74 PA

I have not gone further back. Catherine Thomas may be Mary's mother or even George's mother with a second husband's name.

Civil War record

RITNER, I. NEWTON, 3rd Sergt. Enlisted 3 Sep 1861, age 20, promoted
to 3rd sergeant 13 Sep 1861, to clerk at Hancock's headquaters, 30
Sep 1861, to 2nd sergeant 21 Apr 1862, wounded Jun 1862, scalp
wound slight, transferred to Old Company A, to recruiting, to
Lieutenant Old Company A 7 Oct 1862, to 1st lieutenant 18 Nov
1862, to Camp Curtin, Pa. 24 Jan 1863, discharged 19 Nov 1863.
Resided Perrysville, Juniata Co.

He entered the ministry and was with the Eleventh Baptist Church of Philadelphia.
Nope, no confusion on Isaac's. Henry's son is burried down South where he died during the war. What I am mainly interested in is the Reverends parents and their parents. I have been talking to a woman who's GGrandmother was Sarah Walker Ritner. She is believed to be the younger sister of Isaac. She has them listed as (forgive the Gen #'s, I'm working them into the overall picture):

......4 George A. Ritner, b. 1812
........+ Mary L. (Walker), b. 1821
........5 Isaac Newton Ritner, b. Feb 22, 1841, d. May 11, 1903, m. May 02, 1865
..........+ Rachel Jane Beale, b. Feb 14, 1841, d. Dec 8, 1927
..........6 Minnette Beale Ritner, b. 1867, d. Sep 1941
............+ Walter B Farley
............7 J. Elizabeth Farley, b. 1895
..........6 Laura Genieve Ritner, b. May 17, 1871, d. 1943, m. Mar 09, 1897
............+ George Melville Miles, b. Oct 25, 1854, d. Jan 15, 1935
............7 Ruth Ritner Miles, b. Dec 26, 1897
..............+ William Martin
............7 Helen Genieve Miles, b. Aug 05, 1899, d. Mar 22, 1992
..............+ Miles Rollen Hallett, b. May 25, 1889
..............8 Mary Curtis Hallett
............7 Mary Curtis Miles, b. Aug 23, 1903, d. Oct 12, 1904
..........6 Albert K Ritner, b. Jul 17, 1873
........5 Sarah Walker Ritner, b. 1843
..........+ John D. W. Henderson
........5 Julia A. (a.k.a. J. Annie) Ritner, b. Dec 21, 1843, m. Dec 06, 1870
..........+ Joshua Franklin Beale, b. Apr 25, 1843
..........6 Joshua Franklin Beale Jr., b. 1869
........5 Elizabeth Ritner, b. 1846
..........+ James Medora, b. 1839
..........6 Mabel Madora, b. 1878
........5 Maggie Ritner, b. 1850
........5 Clara J. Ritner, b. 1853
........5 Gideon Ritner, b. 1854
..........+ Mary A., b. 1855
........5 Mary T. Ritner, b. 1856
........5 Elhira E. Ritner, b. 1860

I have found George as far back as the 1850 Census and the family is broken out 1860 on. Now, I can't find Georges parents. I believe they are part of Gov. Joseph Ritner's family, but he seems to meld into the background in the early documents.
Hi Audrey,
Sorry I took a while to answer. I have seen reference to him collecting pictures, but haven't seen them. I do have a couple of pictures of him though. I also have baby pictures of Albert and Laura taken in Philadelphia. I've run into a giant brick wall on this part of the line. So far I've done it without doing the pay sites, but I may have to do it to finish it. Thanks for replying to my original post.

Bob
Posted by john m evans (+7) 8 years ago
Great research.
Will be helpfull to me as well..
John Miles Evans .. George Miles was my great Grandfather.
Posted by Laurie Schaefer (+13) 3 years ago
Hello, I have in my possession 3 original documents of Capt. (Rev.) Isaac Newton Ritner. 1. March 1865 his assignation to Captain signed by the Secretary of War and President Andrew Johnson.

2. July 1891, Appointment as Chaplain also signed by the President

3. Another Military document signed by Rutherford B Hayes.

I was given these documents from my father about 10 years ago...I don't know of any family connection and do not remember why he had them. I am interested in also learning more about them. If you are interested in sharing information, please contact me!

[email protected]