George Carlin R.I.P.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 13 years ago
Really sad to hear that brilliant man has left us and will never forget his wit. One of my favorites for sure!!
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 13 years ago
"You know the seven, don't you, that you can't say on television? .............."

And the rest is history. I second that Howdy, RIP George Carlin.
Posted by ABC (+381) 13 years ago
It is funny that you are telling him to rest in peace, because he was an atheist.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 13 years ago
I can recite the seven words. I was a tv major in those days, and we actually studied the Supreme Court ruling.

Ah, Mr. Carlin, you gave me some great laughs in my youth. . .

And why can't an atheist rest in peace? Since he's dead, he's probably not running a marathon. The sentiment doesn't sound specifically religious. Is it? If someone said, may he be sitting at the right hand of the lord amongst the celestial choir (like some of those vanity obituaries), THAT sounds religious but resting in peace just sounds. . .dead.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 6/23/2008).]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 13 years ago
My thoughts exactly Amorette!!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 13 years ago
I think one of my favorite George Carlin rants of all time was the one he did about Hurricane Katrina...there's some debate about whether that was actually him or someone else, but I still liked it.

Yeah, he was raunchy, but HILARIOUS. Here's to ya, George.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2042) 13 years ago
One of my all time favs.... May he rest in peace.
Posted by Brian (+360) 13 years ago
I teared up when I read it this morning. I remember back in 2003 or so, there was an interview with George Carlin on XM Comedy. George, however, was not spouting jokes...he was obviously bothered by the current regime and it's behavior. He said something about it being common for a government to accuse people against a war of being unpatriotic...wish I had recorded that interview. It was the beginning of a new era of socio-political-philosophical thought for me. George, thanks! Wish I could have met you in real life to thank you.
Posted by Jay (+281) 13 years ago
This man said more in jest than most can say on a serious side. He will be greatly missed.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1284) 13 years ago
As George would have said in the same situation...F--k him just another dead commie comic. Seriously funny guy, he will be missed. In my never to be humble opinion rest in peace is appropriate for the occasion.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 13 years ago
"You do not take a poop you leave a poop."
Posted by TALBOT (+251) 13 years ago
You can "Prick Your Finger" but don't................
Posted by TALBOT (+251) 13 years ago
This is Al Sleet, your Hippy Dippy Weatherman....The forcast for tonight...Dark....Getting lighter by morning.
I miss you already George.

[This message has been edited by TALBOT (edited 6/25/2008).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 13 years ago
Station That Dared to Defend Carlin's `7 Words' Looks Back
By Glenn Collins
THE NEW YORK TIMES
June 25, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/20...5wbai.html
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 13 years ago
Saturday, June 28th, 2008. 10:41pm.

I hope you all are watching SNL tonight. They are playing the premiere episode, October, 1975, which Carlin hosted.

KEWL!

Ps...John Belushi, Andy Kaufman, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, et al.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 6/28/2008).]

PPS... George Carlin, "We have no time. There is only the recent past and the near future."

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 6/28/2008).]
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 13 years ago
George Carlin to receive Mark Twain humor prize
Jun 17, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - George Carlin will be awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced Tuesday that Carlin will be honored for his 50-year career as a Grammy-winning standup comedian, writer and actor. The center will salute Carlin at a tribute performance by former colleagues November 10th, which will be broadcast later on PBS.
Kennedy Center Chairman Stephen Schwarzman says Carlin makes people laugh but also makes them think.
Carlin, 71, has released 22 solo albums and three best-selling books. He starred a variety of TV and movie roles and is famous for his "Seven Words You Can Never Say On TV" routine.
Last year the Kennedy Center honored Billy Crystal with the Mark Twain prize. Other past recipients include Whoopi Goldberg, Neil Simon and Steve Martin.

http://www.washingtonpost...02519.html

supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 13 years ago
I did watch that first SNL broadcast the other night, that Kelly noted. Damn that made me feel really old....suddenly I was in my teens again, watching and laughing at "Leave It to Beaver" and all the old 50s stereotypes....now I now how the shoe fits, 34 years later after the original SNL (which I did not see, but began watching shortly thereafter because it was the cool thing to watch).

Bart, I believe the Mark Twain award is still on as scheduled, only now, of course, it will be pothumous.

...and no, that was not a typo....
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 13 years ago
What about "pot humorous" ?

I believe that was the 5th album "Toledo Window Box"

Posted by JOE WHALEN (+612) 13 years ago
"Ever wonder about those people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward."