This Last West
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
Lorman Hoopes, M.D., spent the last years of his life compiling an index for the Yellowstone Journal and other area newspapers and the journals of Fr. Lindesmith. This index is an incredible source for research, a labor of love and plain fun to read! Want to know about Soda Jack or Cattle Annie?

The hardbound edition, with some nice Huffman and Haynes photos, was sixty bucks. I have bunch at my office which I am selling for thirty nine ninety five plus five dollars postage. Great deal and all the money goes to the Historic Perservation Office.

It is an index, nothing was put in narrative form, but it's fun to browse and you can find all the familiar names like Strevell and Borchardt and, of course, the Miles family.

Amorette Allison
Shamelessly plugging a way to raise funds for my office
founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+60) 19 years ago
Hi Amorette,
I am interested in the book, This Last West". It is an index covering what years? and an index of names? articles?
I am enjoying "Centennial Roundup".
Roberta Campbell
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 19 years ago
Hi Roberta,
I have a copy of the book and the subtitle is "Miles City, Montana Territory, and Environs, 1876-1886, The People, The Geography, The Incredible History..."

So basically, 1876-1886.

It is sort of like an encyclopedia or dictionary of information about Miles City in those years... and is very highly recommended if you are interested in anything in that timespan. You can simply look up a person, a place, etc... and are likely find an entry (with the information).

It appears Mr. Hoopes went through all of the old newspapers (and perhaps other sources) of that timespan and indexed them along with the information. It is a high quality book (hardbound, slightly over 400 pages) and is a wonderful resource.

Regards, Larry
MilesCity.com Webmaster

[This message has been edited by Larry Antram (edited 2/14/2002).]
founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+60) 19 years ago
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. The time period I am interested in is from 1900 to 1920.
Roberta Campbell