The move to Mies City
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1270) 14 years ago
So I was noticing in some of the posts that people talk about them moving to MC and how much they like the community. So it made me wonder, what brought someone here that does not have connections to the area? Being from MC doesn't count! Why did one move to MC? Where did they learn of the area? Where did they come from? Did they check it out first or just move in?

On the flip side, why did some move away? Usually that is a pretty obvious answer, especially when it comes to the younger generations. For example, (not because I am trying to hack on her) Mary Q has been taking a lot of heat for her posts about others. Mary was in Miles, ran and won a council seat, then left? What was in the decision to leave? I would bet most people's decision to leave the area was economics. I know mine was.

So I would like to read some stories about these things....
supporter
Posted by GW (+438) 14 years ago
I moved to MC, June 1993. My husband helped build the rail car cleaning facility on the outskirts of town. He has since moved on to GA,(I wasn't invited to go), so after the divorce, I stayed. My children are grown and I haven't decided what to do, but for right now I am here.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1528) 14 years ago
Hi,

I came to work at Fort Keogh and stayed after retirement. I visited the Station and town the year before moving here and liked them both. Fort Keogh is one of the 'best kept secrets' for USDA experiment stations.

[This message has been edited by MRH (edited 6/18/2008).]
founder
Posted by jackie stoeckel (+213) 14 years ago
i moved to Miles City due to a job in the career track i was in. i am still in the same field, my area has been expanded to all of eastern montana. i was parenting a young child and wasn't happy with lifestyle in Billings. I was raised in a small town. Miles City grows on ya. great place to raise a child who has continued to live here by choice (she has her days, good friends and community support has kept me here. had an opportunity to move a year ago and decided to stay. yeah its missing a few things like every small town and maybe not as diverse as i would like but it suits me.
supporter
Posted by Jody Collis (+214) 14 years ago
My parents moved us from New Jersey to Miles City in the early 70's so we could escape the downside of big city life (the race riots, etc. of the time on the East Coast). Sears had 2 openings for him: Miles City and Bozeman. Too bad he made the wrong choice!:-) MC was closer to my grandparents (but not too close), so that's how they chose.

We all individually left the town in the late 80's/early 90's due to lack of quality job opportunities. After college (in Bozeman), I wanted to get back to a real 'city' where there would be nightlife, job and entertainment opportunities. I'm in the Twin Cities now and it offers all that. MC was a good place to grow up, but I'm glad I was able to get out an experience more of the world.
Posted by Tony Ackerman (+187) 14 years ago
We moved back to Montana when father-in-law passed away in 2003 and it left mother-in-law with no family here to help take care of her. We'd had a belly full of western WA anyway, so it was the right time in our life.

Not quite 2 years ago, mother-in-law's health took a turn and we moved her from RHCC in Forsyth to HRH Extended Care here in Miles City. We bought a house in town and moved along with her. Nice not having to make the commute between Forsyth and Miles City anymore. Mother-in-law is doing better all in all too!

We really like it here. The community is friendly, people are nice, plenty enough for us to see and do. We're both getting to do things here that were only a pipe dream in western WA. I get to live a life here, instead of my work consuming my entire being.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3831) 14 years ago
Having lived my life in Denver, Dallas and Los Angeles and doing business that took me all over the Orient and the US, I had already "Experienced the world" and was ready for a community.

My daughter married a local MC boy and my first visit was for their wedding. I fell in love with the area and people. I have never felt like a stranger in this town and love the western mentality. No one has ever asked me who my family is, where I attend church or who I work for. It makes a difference in some places.

"The World Is Run By Those Who Participate"
Posted by JOE WHALEN (+622) 14 years ago
Saw a bumper sticker near the Reptile Garden that said, "Where the 'L' is Mies City?" so I decided to track it down. Soon after arriving, I spotted a bear rummaging through the alley in the middle of the night looking for a young fat python.

"What goes around comes around, I guess", said the snake swallowing its tail before being swallowed by the bear.
Posted by Jen K (+10) 14 years ago
I moved to Miles City from Colorado to live under the same roof with my then long-distance boyfriend of three years. I was skeptical at first, but upon my first visit to MC, I wandered down from my room at the Olive onto a Main Street filled with cows and cowboys, even a few in spurs, and I thought, what's taken me so long? Two years and one month later, my boyfriend recently dumped me. That's the sad part of the story, but perhaps the happy one still remains? I'm still here anyway.
Posted by Mrae2 (+95) 14 years ago
Mayor Whalen -
You mean there are actual alleys in MC?
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+516) 14 years ago
Hey, I want one of those bumper stickers! I moved here in 1993 from Southern California to give my sons a safe place to grow up. The morning we got here it was -40 degrees.
founder
well now that would be an interesting approach to safety for the kids. -40 would deter any crime, traffic accidents etc. Possibly a good PR slogan.... i know it deters me from doing much at all.

the cold winters were tough to get used to. never seemed that cold in red lodge or missoula. colorado would call snow days when it got that cold. even those of us who worked for the county didn't have to show up to work.

Not miles city. we are a rugged bunch (burrr!!!!)

let me see, we could create a new bumper sticker that automatically changes slogans with the temperature. baby, its cold outside for winter and baby its hot outside for the summer.

ok, i'll quit now...sorry... i'm just trying to prepare myself for the hot summer in a nonairconditioned house. its a good thing i like the people here.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 14 years ago
Hehe, I go to Kansas City for work sometimes and they have snow days if it's below 15 degrees. Poor Montana kids would be going to school until August making up all those snow days.

Maybe the state slogan could be "It's not as cold as North Dakota".
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2742) 14 years ago
I arrived here on New Year's Eve eve 2007 after driving in a packed to the hilt compact SUV with two 100lb dogs and two cats from Austin, Texas in one straight shot over icy roads cuz I was caught between two blizzards that had paralyzed the Rockies and the Midwest. After a trip like that, Hell would look good -- so Miles City looked like Heaven. I pulled in and stayed. It's nice to be here. 'nuff said.
founder
Now Levi, i sort of like that state slogan of yours. maybe... we are not as cold as those other guys.... that way we could leave them guessing which border state.

Steve, interesting enough my journey from Colorado was New years day with the kid, the cat and this singing Santa Bear which mysterously lost its voice 2 hours into the trip. i think i was feeling pretty psychopathic by the end of that journey so anyplace looked pretty good. i was actually heading back home to RedLodge and commuted from Red Lodge to Billings for a month on 212 (the killer road before it was widened)for work.

Miles city had this great archway in the late 80's that fronted the bridge entrance over the tongue river. i think there was a banner. it was pretty awesome and welcoming. Fort Keogh had a great arch also. unfortunately a car mishap took care of that. i figured as long as MC had a couple of fast food restaurants and a kmart and day care i was good to go. still here even though the restaurants, arch have moved on.
Posted by BG LaVerne (+12) 14 years ago
After careful considration, my wife and I decided to move from California to Miles City. We made our decision based upon several factors not the least of which is the ever-deteriorating quality of life in CA, the absence of a sense of community in the vast majority of CA cities and towns, an apparent and overt attempt to consider any CA Conservative "the enemy", CA's ever-shifting demographics (e.g., based upon a non-existent immigration policy, political processes focused upon depriving the rights of the many to ensure the rights of the few (i.e., Regardless of their citizenship status, criminal record, employment status, etc., etc.,). Enough,good reasons I hope.

FYI: Miles City is very similar in size, demographics, civic pride and sense of community to what our once agricultural-based hometown happened to exhibit just 19 short years ago. PS: That's, why we do not wish to change a thing here in MC and only hope to be accepted as productive, respectful, community-minded folks. Thank you for making us feel welcome.

bgl
Posted by LG (+194) 14 years ago
I grew up in Ekalaka, and I hate traveling with a passion.
So I'm here.
It was as far as I could make it without going stir crazy in a car.

Right when I thought I was ready to take maybe a five hour trip in a car to somewhere new, I met the love of my life.
Now I'm wherever he goes for good.

Miles City will be cursed with me for a good long time.
Posted by D Elwood (+45) 14 years ago
I was raised in the Miles City area and lived around there for several years, then 15 years ago we moved to CO and lived there a couple years and now we live in SD in a rural area. We have some great neighbors and a friendly little town where we do business, but there is always a yearning to go back home. Whenever I go back when I get to the MT line I get this "I'm home", feeling and my brother who lives in ND says he gets the same feeling. Maybe Miles City does'nt have all the amenities of the big city, but who needs it when you see all the rifraf that goes along with the amenities. Someday I hope to come back home to the Miles City area, and my daughter who lives in WY is right now looking for jobs for she and her husband so they can move there. She has lived in WY for 6 years and has'nt made many friends, but is still friends with people in Miles City she knew before she moved away. Miles City is a cowtown and I hope it always stays that way and the people stay the same.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9424) 14 years ago
I think it's the winters BG - it's just too cold for some of the less desirable demographics to stay long term.

The reason I don't live in MC has been mentioned before: jobs, jobs, jobs. The cost of living in Boise is roughly equivilent to that of Billings - but I don't think there's any place in eastern Montana that I could get the same salary, even adjusted for cost of living.

Anyways, anyone up for a BBQ over at Frank & Beans? He's throwing kosher franks on the grill....

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (edited 6/20/2008).]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3831) 14 years ago
D Elwood,

That is an odd phenomenon. I used to have that feeling when I crossed into Colorado "I was home". Now, I don't even recognize the place.

On the rare occasions that I venture out of Montana, these days, It is always a refreshing embrace when I cross back into the Big Sky Country. I hope that I can always feel the same way about this great state that welcomed me and that I am proud to call home.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4942) 14 years ago
My husband and I retired here to this area because it reminded us of the area in Colorado from which we came although less elevation which is good for my heart. We have never regretted the move, and have been privileged to know many fine and kind people since moving here. We live "out of town" near the Custer Forest so the beauty here is wonderful. I would recommend this area highly to anyone contemplating a similiar move.
supporter
BGL,
You said everything I didn't. My hometown was intolerable and I didn't know anyone in a town I had lived in for 35 years. I still go back to visit my family every year, but it is always nice to come back to Miles City. When my younger sister came out here she told me Miles City reminded her of the way our hometown was when we were kids. My ex-husband said the same thing when he came out to visit his son. My kids are now grown, but I am here to stay. Despite the weather.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 14 years ago
Bad weather is a blessing. California has beautiful weather and look how many people there are here. If there was no snow in MT it would be just as crowded.
Posted by Wilbur Cain (+148) 14 years ago
There's a lot of jobs in MC with good salaries. VA, hospital, vet, BLM, doctor, lawyer, accountant, rancher, business owner, teacher, electrian, plumber, builder, construction, Fort Keogh, fish hatchery.

What does a BBQ at Frank n Beans mean? Is this seriously a get together? Guess we need an address.
supporter
My hometown was called "The Climatic Wonderland" and was one of the few places in North San Diego County that wasn't evacuated during the fires last fall. I an SO much happier here. This place is heaven. I love Montana.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4942) 14 years ago
If memory serves me correctly, Wilbur, Frank-n-Beans was a disgusting guy that had major issues with racial prejudice and after more than a few horrid posts, he was banned from MC.com. So the reference was a joke in my opinion.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9424) 14 years ago
Don't get me wrong - those jobs could be (if you're trained for them) good, well paying jobs, and if those things are what interest you then bob's your uncle.

And perhaps the situation has changed, but the last time I looked at such things Montana was a bit of an IT wasteland - particularly if you didn't want to live in Bozeman, Billings or Helena. The jobs just weren't there, and those that were just didn't pay well. I could work as software engineer in Bozeman, but we certainly couldn't make ends meet on just my income there.

I may be working from outdated information as well - Eric probably has a better feel for how much software developer can make in eastern Montana. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (edited 6/20/2008).]
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+396) 14 years ago
Since I am a teacher, I am wondering what a teacher with a masters's and at least 10 years experience makes there. I checked into it once and it was nearly half of what I make out here in WA.
supporter
Posted by Nancy (+287) 14 years ago
MCC recently advertised for math and psychology instructors. Of course master's degrees were required. Starting pay was approx. $27,000 a year. Starting oilfield workers with no education are starting about $22 an hour. A college education is not very valuable anymore. Times are changing. I do not know what district teachers with experience make in MC. I do know it is hard to 'switch' districts' and receive experience pay. They want to start you at beginning pay. That is why you do not hear of teachers moving districts. I teach and the contract/pay scale is on the district's website. I don't know about MC, but it should be available to the public if it isn't.