Commissioner's Corner 10
Posted by JT (+33) 12 years ago
We've got a special "Father's Day" episode of Commissioner's Corner. Enjoy.

Posted by Brian (+355) 12 years ago
There's the psychotic side to Shirley Temple I always knew was there. Wow!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5044) 12 years ago
Nice work, yet again!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1432) 12 years ago
I knew someone had to be thinking about Trek during all this.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1232) 12 years ago
Now that CCR has been "unmasked", Maybe someone will do the same for the cartoonist. Enquiring minds would like to know. Is this merely satire or an agenda? Ike
Posted by Mary Quintus (+59) 12 years ago
It talks like an Eric, it thinks like an Eric, it writes like an Eric.

IT IS AN ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by MattSmith (+54) 12 years ago
Mary,

I think your off base with that.

Regards,

Matt Smith
Posted by Eric Brandt (+839) 12 years ago
Sorry Mary - I'm not that creative

I will state for the record that I am not Mr. Spalding. I like his work though.

Based on your displayed skills JT, should you choose, you can contact me for a job interview.

Eric
Me thinks thou protests too much.
Sorry, Madam Quitus, I am not Eric.

As to agendas, does Stephen Colbert have an agenda? Does Mad Magazine have an agenda. Though I do not consider myself amongst their genius, I can relate to their need to satire society, government, etc.

If the commissioners were to be more honest and up front with the people of Custer County, I would have nothing to satire....something I actually look forward to.

And from a more strategic point of view, Madam Quitus, don't you think that "outing" me would do nothing more than make me a hero for the populace? Or would I have to worry about the county commissioners sending their ninja squad to take me on my "final ambulance ride"?

Based on my desire for anonymity, Mr. Brandt, I respectfully decline the interview. Your offer flatters me nonetheless.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 12 years ago
You have to admit it's ironic to mock CCR's "outing" while hiding behind a false name yourself.
Posted by LG (+202) 12 years ago
Wait,
Isn't there a difference between blatantly libelous and openly satiric?
Just wondering.
supporter
Of course, and there's no doubt that what CCR was doing was much more disingenuous than the writer of these cartoons. On the other hand, it's still a bit ironic I would say.
Sorry JT, but you sound so much like Eric, I just wonder if you are his clone???
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 12 years ago
I can vouch that Eric is not that artistic or cartoonishly creative. It is not Eric's doing.
Who said you had to be artistic to cut and paste?????
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10182) 12 years ago
Mary, it isn't Eric.

And believe me, cutting and pasting can be darn difficult to do well. It all takes an "eye" and a certain amount of skill, plus a wicked sense of humor.
Oh, are you trying to tell me that Eric doesn't have the capability or know how to cut and paste?????
supporter
While I have no ax to grind either way,I find it ironic that the cartoonist should start his political "satire" with the county commisioners and more or less single out the one running for re-election. Why not poke fun or include the opponent,the City Council and Mayor? Or maybe the Governor,Congress,The President et al. There are many current political races going on that could use your talent.

The well known and best political cartoon satire such as Heller and Oliphant etc.,while admitingly biased occassionanly give everyone the same treatment. Where were you when the last mayor and city council were in office?

You obviously have some talent and wit,why not come out of the closet,tell us who you really are,prove that you are not just another Pseudo.

Perhaps, then you will have some stature and future in satire and not waste it on a one horse race in a one horse town. Ike
founder
supporter
Because what the commissioners are doing lends itself to such mocking. Why bother mock people who are doing a good job? The best mockery always accompanies arrogance and incompetence.

And while I am sure Eric can cut and paste, I am also fairly sure he is not responsible for these bits of wit. Although I wish the artist would own up to them!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9804) 12 years ago
Eric is not JT, and is certainly not creating the comical CC satire.
supporter
While I have no ax to grind either way,I find it ironic that the cartoonist should start his political "satire" with the county commisioners and more or less single out the one running for re-election. Why not poke fun or include the opponent,the City Council and Mayor? Or maybe the Governor,Congress,The President et al.

----------------------

Hey Ike:

Why don't you poke fun at the opponent, the City Council, and the Mayor? I'm sure it would be beyond hilarious.

Your pal,

Bob
supporter
Not to put words in JT's mouth, but I'm guessing the goal was more to make a statement about the current activities of the commissioners and not so much to launch a career as a political satirist.
Mr. Eichler,

I wish to thank you for your comments. They made me reflect on the how's and why's of what I'm doing.

Why not poke fun or include the opponent,the City Council and Mayor?

Is there any video footage of Mr. Brandt on the Internet?

Where were you when the last mayor and city council were in office?

I didn't own the program that I use for the comic back then. Plus, I hadn't quite reached the whole "use humor to channel anger" phase.

...prove that you are not just another Pseudo.

Whether people consider me a "pseudo" or not is entirely up to them, alias or no.

Perhaps, then you will have some stature and future in satire and not waste it on a one horse race in a one horse town.

I have no desire for "stature". If I were seeking glory and recognition, then why would I use an alias?

As to "wasting" my efforts, I happen to like this "one horse town". I like the people, I like the sense of community, I like the giving spirit I see on a daily basis. I am proud to call this "one horse town" my home, something I've never been able to say any time before moving to Miles City. If I choose to "waste" my time making people smile and inspiring them to think more critically, then it is my loss and nobody else's.

I hold no illusions about my identity staying hidden forever. Someday somebody is going to figure it out and will make sure that the whole of Miles City.com and the world will know who Jeffrey T Spaulding really is. Or maybe I'll get tired of the charade and just blurt it out. Until that day, I hope that everybody can forgive my deceptions and continue to focus on the message, not the messenger.

Again, thank you, Mr. Eichler, for your thought provoking post.
JT

P.S.--Mr. Forman was right on with his statement.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1432) 12 years ago
Wow.

JT - the next time you fire up Comic Creator (or whatever app you're using) to have a little fun with software and satire... you'd better think about all these many, deeper issues that hinge the world together and all those affected by your wild, biased, inflammatory, partisan ways.

Your photos and mouse-clicking could really swing the Universe out of control, you know?

I hope you learned your lesson, mister?

Still smells like sour grapes and vat mates stomping together.
supporter
Huh?
Levi,

That's just Mary's way of saying "I also treated everyone as I would want to be treated." - which is why she can't get off any subject with "Brandt" in it.

Maybe she's just mad that I'm still here and she's not. Maybe she's mad because I still care, and she gave up on Miles City. We'll never know - but one thing is for sure, be it sour grapes or not, she can't stop treating me the way she wants to be treated!

------------------------------------

JT,

I will go back to the old server and post old city council meetings. That should give you plenty of Mayor and Quintus video

You can find me in the video with the data center. I look forward to your future work with your new material.

Cheers - the competition.
supporter
Where do I start? Firstly, no where in my posts do I accuse Mr. Brandt nor speculate that he is the cartoonist.

To quote Ms. Allison,"The best mockery always accompies arragance and incomptence". and in the cartoonists own words,"If the commissioners were more honest and up front I would have nothing to satire". Would not the publisized issues that the opponent has qualify? How about Mr. Mayors end of the month or 48 hours ultimatiom? Or a concilmans statement, "That you always ask more than you expect to get." Do they qualify?

Moving further afield. How about Governor Sweitzer and his Brucellosis stance or coal to gas plants? Nancy and Harrys 100 days promise? Everyone knows it's Bushs fault. Do they not qualify for satire?

The cartoonist suggests that "outing" me would make me a hero to the populace. I think many of us await that day.

Thank you JT for your kind words, I too, like this, and am proud of this one horse town which includes the whole community. Ike
Posted by jeff boggs (+112) 12 years ago
ERIC YOU LOST GO TAKE YOUR SIGNS DOWN.I HOPE FOR THE LAST TIME. BRAIN IS QUITE ARTISTIC HE WOEKS THERE THANKS
I'm artistic, Brandi? Does your dad know you're posting things under his name?

Regardless, I'm flattered.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 6/18/2008).]
supporter
Ike:

I thought it was Jimmy Carter's fault?!
Posted by J. Dyba (+1345) 12 years ago
What about Nazi Germany and the Genocide in Darfur JT! HOW DARE YOU IGNORE THE OPRESSED PEOPLES OF THE WORLD!

You sir, are a villain.
Why Eric, I apologize for leaving Miles City without asking your permission first!!!!!!!
Mary, Darling...
It isn't that you left MC without permission. It's that you bailed on MC after assuring the voting populace that you were the best person for the job. That's what I'm upset about anyway.

And... Just a question off hand...

If you're such a poor defenseless old lady, like you say you are when you're in hot water... WHY DON'T YOU GO KNIT SOMETHING AND LEAVE POLITIC TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE?
Eric,
since you believe that you are God's gift to Miles City, carry on!!!!!. And by the way, you do need more than 27% of the votes to gain a seat in the commissioner's office.
Eric isn't responding. I don't know if you noticed or not.

Mary... I'm starting to get worried. What year is it? Who's the president?

Are you mentally damaged or senile?
Come November, remember that many of the voters in Custer County will come under your "apt description" of me. Good luck!!!!!! There long term memories are also in high gear!!!!!
I'm not Eric. Nor am I running for public office.
This is all I'm going to repeat myself.
I also have absolutely no connection to any campaign in this city, county or state.
I do however have a myspace page with adult content at http://www.myspace.com/laneygregory, and a flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/pho...neygregory

[This message has been edited by LG (edited 6/18/2008).]
How do we know that the person posting as Mary Quintus isn't, in fact, Eric Brandt in disguise, using these insane ramblings for his own political gain?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14231) 12 years ago
Wow! Do you all need some cheese with your whine?
Surrounded by such exemplary collegues and friends such as you, Brandt IT should have many successful years of growth and success in Miles City.
Bonine, who are you talking to? I apologize if I was whining.
And so we come full circle - Once again, as usual, we always find a way to attack my business.

It is unfortunate that we must resort to these tactics to shift the focus. For democracy to truly work, we must (not just a good idea, but a requirement) refrain from attacking people's businesses if we expect business people to participate openly in their government.

I don't see Mary's recent post as the actual attack on my company she likely intended - rather, she has unknowingly attacked the supporting structures of our entire community. By showing the world that Mary (and those like her) will punish society and its services if their people are willing to be involved, she has cut the beams that support our open and free society.

I deeply regret seeing people that are unable to keep the line between business and politics clearly defined. My hope is that the rest of us remain mindful of our responsibilities to our freedoms.

Eric
Eric, did I criticize your place of business???? I thought I was being complimentary.
founder
supporter
Mary, please, stop now. Your behavior is painful. Please.
Is it anymore painful than what they are doing to other people in Custer County?????
admin
founder
Mary -- IMO, you are making a fool of yourself. As far as I know, Eric has no connection to JT -- and I think for the blind, JT actually mentioned his name above somewhere. Now if that's his true name or not, who knows. I don't know. In any case, I'm looking forward to installment #11 -- as there seems to be a lot of new material here.
Am I making a fool of myself or did I hit a nerve? What has been happening in this so called corner is destructive satire and the willful hurting of other people and their families. Yet those very same people get very thin skinned when they perceive some meaning in a statement made by other people who are not in their camp.

Am I old? Am I senile? Depends on the definition. But I know destructive satire when I see it and it all seems to be a one way street.
supporter
Webmaster:

I believe JT listed his name as Jeffrey T. Spaulding.

I believe Groucho Marx played a character named Capt. Jeffrey Spaulding in "Animal Crackers."

Yup - The Google never lies.

http://www.imdb.com/title...0/combined
admin
founder
Mary -- How much criticism do you think Mr. Bush or Mr. Clinton or any other public person of your choice has received? When you become a public figure, you open yourself up to political satire. You could always create your own strip and outdo JT.
supporter
Ha!

Mr. Webmaster, I was just thinking the same thing. Mary and the Ikester could collaberate on a satirical cartoon. That would be the bestest darn cartoon ever in the history of cartoons!
Comparing Custer County political figures to that of national figures is like comparing apples and oranges. In a small rural community it will come back to bite you in the rear.

You are judged by who you are and not who you think you are.
admin
founder
Well, I did say "or any other public person of your choice". I don't currently live in Miles City, and neither do you, so I know nothing about local MC politics -- other than what I read here.

However, in any case, if someone chooses to get involved in the political arena of any "small rural community", do you think the local newspaper or media (or in the case of this website) -- should decide satire not be published?

It seems to me that satire and parody is kind of like a 1st amendment right -- especially when it pertains to public figures.
I have lived in small towns and rural areas most of my life. I believe I can speak from some experience.

Again, you are judged by who you are and not who you think you are.
founder
supporter
Can we just get back to the funny stuff? Of course, since the county commissioners are acting like buffoons, it is pretty easy to find humor. Say, where is that horse?
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+441) 12 years ago
So, answer me this. If the commissioner who is at the center of said buffoonery gets over 70% of the vote in his primary election after all of said buffoonery is exposed, would not that indicate that the electorate is generally satisfied with that commissioner and are convinced there is some wisdom in the actions of the commissioners?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14981) 12 years ago
Either that or the voters thought the competition was lacking.

- Dave
supporter
So, answer me this. If the commissioner who is at the center of said buffoonery gets over 70% of the vote in his primary election after all of said buffoonery is exposed, would not that indicate that the electorate is generally satisfied with that commissioner and are convinced there is some wisdom in the actions of the commissioners?

-------------

Um....maybe a significant percentage of registered voters do not have the necessities to navigate the Internets and haven't accessed mc.com.

Another portion of voters don't pay attention and vote for the recognizable name.

And yet another portion of voters don't care for the other candidate.

I'm not Tim Russert (thank God or I'd be on the wrong side of the grass). Also, I don't currently live in Miles City (thank God again), so you can take my observations with the proverbial grain o' salt.

I have a hard time believing that an informed voter would see much logic in the machinations of the current commissioners. Just sayin'.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1345) 12 years ago
It's what Miles City does best.
Posted by Helena Handbasket (+22) 12 years ago
So that means JT is...Groucho Marx????
supporter
Perhaps.

I don't think it would be hard to divine JT's identity. There just cannot be too many people like JT hanging around in old Milestown.

But I'd prefer not to know who he is, so I'll go with your Groucho Marx theory.
supporter
Breaking News

Breaking News---A little bird just IDed J.T. Spaulding and it appears that JT and our Brian is one and the same. This seems to be the case but still needs a little more proof. Shades of CCR. Sometimes things do appear as they are. Ike
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 12 years ago
Uh, so? Who cares who it is? A comic genius is at work. Of course, if all you want to do is piss on everyone Ike, then I guess it matters to you. The only scandal is the one you are trying to create.

To all of you who can't seem to go on without taking someone down, knock it off. I enjoy this site to keep up on the goings on in my hometown. But I am growing overly tired of this old shoe. Please quit.
supporter
Corey, Thanks for your comments. I suggest you start at the beginning of this thread and the CCR scandal and expose before you start casting stones. There are 2 sides to every story and if you only read the ending you have missed out on a lot. BTW Cut was a really good guy. Ike
Posted by Bruce Helland (+593) 12 years ago
A little bird...? And this is something worth stating? I think these comics are political parody of the highest form. If anyone else out there has the talent; there are plenty of targets to pick from... So fire your best shots, I'll enjoy the results!
Posted by tax payer (+351) 12 years ago
Who ever you are............Please don't stop the highlight of my week.
Posted by Helena Handbasket (+22) 12 years ago
"A little bird just IDed J.T. Spaulding..."

Where is my shotgun when I need it?

I'm just waiting for number 11. Keep up the good work JT, whoever you are.
Posted by MattSmith (+54) 12 years ago
Ike,

Care to elaborate?

What type of bird?

Regards,

Matt Smith
Posted by ABC (+388) 12 years ago
Mary Q wrote, "Am I making a fool of myself or did I hit a nerve?"

My vote would be for making a fool of yourself.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 12 years ago
Ike, I have read the thread all the way through. I don't give a rip about who JT is. I think that JT's work is brilliant, and the community needs someone who can make fun of these people without being nasty about it. They have ALL brought this on themselves.

Maybe you can explain what the need to know JT's name is? Does knowing his identity make a difference? Who cares if it's Brian or Eric? If they can think that stuff up, it's gold!

As for Cutt, thanks, I sincerely appreciate that (and BTW, he IS a great guy! *still with us )
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14321) 12 years ago
Another vote here, for making a fool of herself.
I do apologize, but would it be possible to continue this thread on the next comic, Commissioner's Corner 11? It's about to be bumped off, and I just put it up Saturday.

Thanks,
JT
supporter
Bump.
supporter
Bump
admin
founder
Ike, please stop bumping this thread. It is irritating.