Scandal at the Sports Page
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11900) 13 years ago
The Miles City Council Tuesday night took steps that could lead to a temporary liquor license revocation for the Sports Page Loung on Main Street. The council told city officials to forward court records detailing two arrests of "exotic dancers" on indecent exposure charges at the lounge to the Montana Department of Revenue.

Apparently, Leota attended expecting "an Indian belly dancer" or something when she heard there were exotic dancers and was offended. Yeah, right. Lots of cross cultural exchange going on in bars in Miles City.

Snork.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 13 years ago
What was the date of this incident, Amorette?
Posted by LG (+201) 13 years ago
WTF is the Sports Page?

WWHLD?
Posted by Slosh (+695) 13 years ago
Isn't there a Sports Page in Billings, or maybe it's Missoula. But as a steady contributor to the main street bars, I know there isn't one in Miles City (at this time at least.)
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 13 years ago
Most of the time Amorette's brain tends to be 25, 50 or 100 years in the past. This sounds like 25 years ago to me. I am at work so can not check the past Stars she uses when doing Star Dust, it know for sure.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1278) 13 years ago
Well, she refered to Leota, so it has to be at least 20 years old since she died in 1989. Wasn't the Sports Page next to the Cellar? It was "the other side".
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1290) 13 years ago
Sports Page was above the Range Riders and it was a strip bar.
supporter
Well, then I'm sure Leota was against the bar! What was the name then of the sports bar that was with the Cellar?
founder
supporter
BING! We have a winner! Chuck is right. The event took place 25 years ago and the Sports Page was above the Range Riders.
Posted by Mary Quintus (+58) 13 years ago
If this was such a shocking event, was it after or before they closed down the Tongue River clinic????
founder
supporter
The Tongue River Riding Academy closed in 1963. This took place twenty years later, in 1983.
Posted by Mary Quintus (+58) 13 years ago
I love your title.
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+150) 13 years ago
1963? I had a classmate (class of 69) that delvered groceries there. He explained that it was always an uncomfortable experience for a high school kid, particularly during hunting season. Since he needed a drivers license to deliver I'm thinking maybe '67?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
So what was the Tongue River Riding Academy? I had no idea they had exotic dancers in the Sports Page. I remember some would occasionally visit the Alta Club, but they always seemed to get pretty poor reviews.
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+150) 13 years ago
Ummm...

The Tongue River Riding Academy was a house of ill repute north of the Oasis. Both "tongue" and "Riding" describe it pretty well.

I do remember an ad from a real estate agent who was trying to sell the property after it closed... something about " make this house a home".

The bucking horse sale used to be pretty rowdy in the old days as well. I recall some "lady of the evening" turning tricks on Main Street -- brought her own matress so I heard. I was young, innocent, and protected by such going on's by my parents. Had sharp hearing in those days and overheard what happened.

Cheers

Jon
supporter
C'mon Levi, you're quicker than that! You can put two and two together....
supporter
I could guess, but I'd rather have it spelled out, preferably with personal anecdotes like we got from the wild horse thread a few weeks ago.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1290) 13 years ago
You know I have to question the date of closure on the "clinic" I delivered for Foster Drug in 70-71 and I can remewmber the "ladies" giving me a hard time (no pun intended). I think it was still in business until the early 70's in a hush hush manor.

The only thing I have had right in years and it deals with the City's only strip club, man what a dandy I am.
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+439) 13 years ago
a hush hush "manor" - Boy you nailed that one, Chuck. Just what were the ages of the ladies employed there?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10031) 13 years ago
I was thinking that by 72 or so there was a halfway house or drug treatment facility in one of the old Houses. Does anyone remember anything like that?
supporter
Oh were those the houses over by the lake next to the tongue river bridge? I had heard of them before.