Just wondering....
Posted by J Scheuering (+9) 15 years ago
I just finished reading the postings about a "chick fight." Has anyone ever considered what some poor innocent person who thinks he or she has arrived at the Miles City Chamber of Commerce site must think of our town after reading some of the topics that are posted on this site? I shudder to think of it.

Wouldn't it make sense to use this site for topics of community interest and save the bickering for some other type of chat room?

[This message has been edited by J Scheuering (edited 6/10/2008).]

[This message has been edited by J Scheuering (edited 6/10/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15582) 15 years ago
While I agree with you that the "chick fight thread" may have gotten a little out of control*, I think would be tourist or newcomers to the community ought to know that this is who we are, and we won't be changing anytime soon. I for one am appreciative that we don't have a "thought police" type webmaster.

One of the great aspects of MC and by extension MC.com is that we all can openly state our position on the issues of the day, vehemently disagree with one another, and then go enjoy an adult beverage or two when we are done arguing. There aren't many place left where that kind of community still exists.

* the behavior of Eric and Brian remind me of Scott Farcus and his little buddy in the movie A Christmas Story.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18755) 15 years ago
Hmmmm....I don't the "chick fight" thread was nearly as out of control as the "Nothing" thread. My only criticism of the "chick fight" thread is that it should have been started in the Humor forum.

Now, the "Nothing" thread....posting links to each other's mug shots, threats of libel suits, Mary Quintus going Nigerian on us with her fact-finding probes about mc.com....that, my friends, is a thread totally out of control.
Posted by Mary Quintus (+64) 15 years ago
Hey, I have been told I am a Bohunk,even Mother Superior but..... Nigerian???? And as I earlier stated, I had my fun with finding out some things in a very indirect manner.

P.S. I didn't post those incriminating posts/links. That was dirty pool. I don't spend my days looking for such items. Have better things to do.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10381) 15 years ago
>>Now, the "Nothing" thread....posting links to each other's mug shots, threats of libel suits, Mary Quintus going Nigerian on us with her fact-finding probes about mc.com....that, my friends, is a thread totally out of control.

Jeez . . . I quit reading that thread the first day it started. I didn't think it was going anyplace interesting. Guess I'll have to spend sometime this weekend and read it, there's nothing better than a thread gone wild.
I used the example of "chick fight" because the name was so blatant, but I'm referring to all such threads, especially "nothing."

It's interesting that the people who don't see a problem here aren't Miles City residents.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18755) 15 years ago
Its also interesting that the webmaster who created and maintains this site also is not a Miles City resident.

How interesting.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12824) 15 years ago
This is not an official site. It is a conversational site created for conversational purposes that occasionally wanders off into nastiness, the way conversations do.

If the Chamber were to create a nice site for official, polite chat, I suspect it would be rarely visited.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 6/11/2008).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10381) 15 years ago
>> I used the example of "chick fight" because the name was so blatant. . . .

Ah . . . I see. You know, if you are still looking for examples, this thread might be a darned good choice:
http://milescity.com/foru...fpid=28422
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4463) 15 years ago
It's a tough balance. I see what you're saying, but Amorette is right. MC.com is a great tool for communicating events mostly because people visit it so often.

If it were your typical boring chamber of commerce type site, you'd be keeping alot fewer people up to speed on local events, because very few would visit just for a calendar of events.
Yes. I am aware that the webmaster is not a resident of Miles City. I believe he lives in Washington state. The site is a beautifully designed site, and is always in good working order. It is a tremendous asset to the community.
Posted by Gail Farrell (+40) 15 years ago
See the new forum - "Hugs, Rainbows, and cuddly, wuddly kittens!"