George M. Miles
Posted by Jori How (+15) 12 years ago
Hello! I am trying to find out more about my supposed ancestor, George Miles, who was the nephew of Nelson Miles. I know that he resided there in the late 1870's or early 1880's. I am wanting to find out who is wife was and if he had children because I have been told, through my family members that are now deceased, that George would have been my great-great grandfather, give or take a "great"! Does anyone have or know of information on him? Ironically, I go out to Montana every year and will eventually be living there, so can even stop by Miles City!
Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.
Jori How
Omaha
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 12 years ago
George had two wives, his first, Helen Strevell, died young. I believe she was the mother of his son, Jason , who had children but predeceased his father by a few years. With his second wife, Laura (I think. I'm at home and my files are at the office) he had three daughters, one of whom died. Mary, I think. Don't recall the other names. Give me a few days or let one of the genealogy folks look 'er up.
Thank you for the info you have given so far. I would be very interested in who the other two daughters were (names), which might tell me whether he is the Miles I'm looking for! Thanks!
Jori
founder
supporter
Helen and Ruth, I believe were the surviving daughters.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 12 years ago
1880 Montana Custer Co census
George Miles age 25 listed as federal judge not married

1900 Montana Custer Co Miles
George M born Oct 1854 Mass, parents born Mass, married 3 yrs merchant-hardware
Laura James born May 29 1871 Penn, parents born Penn, she mother of 2 children born & living
Ruth R born 1897 MT
Helen born 1899 MT
Jay Daniel born Mar 1882 MT, parents Mass & Illinois, he at school

1910 MT Custer Miles
G M Miles married 2, this marriage 12yrs, banker
Laura wife
Ruth 10
Helen 8

1910 MT Park Co, Livingston
Jason D Miles born 1882, MT manager of Dry Goods, married 4yrs
Mildred R or C born 1882, Ohio, parents born Ohio

1920 MT Custer Miles
George M Miles president bank
Laura R
Ruth R
Helen G

1920 MT Park Co, Cottonwood
Jason D Miles, owned free, stock farmer

1920 CA Los Angeles
Mildred Miles 39 Married Ohio no occupation
Cabel 12 son born MT attending school
Helen E 7 daug born MT attending school

1930 Custer Miles
G.M. Miles widowed 75, age at 1st marriage 26, banker

at Olive Hotel
Jason D Miles, lodger, 48 married, age at 1st marriage 24, Realtor

1930 CA Los Angeles
Mildred C Miles 50 married, rents $125 no occupation
G. Cabel son 22 school
Helen E daug 18 school

Montana Historical Society has George Miles' diary in their collection.

Daniel Curtis Miles (older brother of Nelson Miles) was son of Daniel Miles and Mary Curtis. He married Lucy Ann Puffer- son George Melville Miles born Oct 25, 1954 was third child.

George's 1st wife Helen Louise Strevell daughter of Judge Strevell. I think she may have been his cousin. Married Dec 22, 1880 in Miles City. She died 1887.

George's 2nd wife Laura Genevieve Ritner of Philadelphia, daughter of I.N. Ritner- army chaplain, married at Ft Keogh March 9, 1897.

George and Helen Louise's son Jason Daniel Miles born March 11, 1882 graduated from Princeton. Married Mildred Jewett Cabel, children were George Cabel Miles and Elizabeth Miles.

George and Laura's daughters were named Ruth Ritner Miles and Helen Genevieve Miles, a daughter Mary Curtis died young.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1277) 12 years ago
Amorette - are there any decendants currently living in MC?
founder
supporter
Nope. Some of his brother Arthur's descendants still live in Livingston, though.
Thank you for all of this good info! I am actually looking for the name of my great-great grandmother, Emma Miles. It sounds like she may have been the daughter of one of the other Miles'. My grandmother, who is long deceased, once told me that Nelson Miles was the uncle of Emma Miles. If anyone knows anything please let me know. I will keep searching when I have time, but this has been very interesting and may lead to what I'm looking for eventually.
Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1277) 12 years ago
So I go to Blackhawk, CO to do some gambling. The guy dealing cards and I chit chat a bit, come to find out he is Nelson Miles' G-G.... grandson. He knew some of the history and his last name was Miles... it was cool.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 12 years ago
Perhaps the Emma you're looking for is Emma Miles the second wife of Herbert Judson Miles. I found an undocumented citation for their marriage in 1912 & her death in 1915. Her maiden name was listed as Emma Darroch. (Herbert's first wife was Minnie B Cronhkite married in 1890 & died in 1910.)
Cory- Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. That is really great (meeting a Miles)...do you remember his name? Any way I could find him? He would be a shirt-tale relative of mine and possibly a way to find the person I'm looking for.
Thanks!
Jori
Posted by Pete Miles (+12) 11 years ago
Hi, my name is Pete Miles (Charles Rogers Miles, Jr.) and I also am looking for Miles relatives. In my Miles genealogy I recently discovered that the only Miles relatives I have came from My Dad plus two female cousins from his brother. This situation goes all the way back for 6 generations from my Dad to Benjamin Prescott Miles, b. 1724 and Mary Billings Hubbard, b. 1729. I am descended from their son Ebenezer. All Ebenezer's male descendants dead end except for my two brothers and me, plus our sons.

From your posts on Nelson Appleton Miles it appears that your line is from Benjamin and Mary's son John, younger brother of my ancestor, Ebenezer.

Recently I submitted DNA samples to Family Tree DNA and discovered that I am connected to no one in any Miles project, this led me to look at my genealogy and to realise what I outlined above.

I have researched some of the Miles lines down to, among others George Cable Miles, discovering that he died February 1981 in Los Angeles. But his last Social Security benefit went to Randolph, Missouri.

What I am hoping for is to discover some male descendants of John Miles of Concord, Massachusetts, who would be willing to submit DNA samples to Family Tree DNA to the Miles Project, as it appears so far I am the only one so far to do so.

By the way, your dealer in Colorado could not be a G..G...grand son of Nelson, his children had no children, and I have never found any evidence of another wife or children....maybe a G..G..grand nephew..

Oh well...If you know of any direct Miles males, please let me know. I have a few more from Benjamin and Mary I need to look into, one real near us in Portland, Oregon in the 1930's.

[This message has been edited by Pete Miles (8/12/2009)]
Hi, Cindy, my name is Pete Miles (Charles Rogers Miles, Jr.) and I also am looking for Miles relatives. In my Miles genealogy I recently discovered that the only Miles relatives I have came from My Dad plus two female cousins from his brother. This situation goes all the way back for 6 generations from my Dad to Benjamin Prescott Miles, b. 1724 and Mary Billings Hubbard, b. 1729. I am descended from their son Ebenezer. All Ebenezer's male descendants dead end except for my two brothers and me, plus our sons.

From your back and forth posts on Miles genealogy it appears that the line you are referencing is from Benjamin and Mary's son John, younger brother of my ancestor, Ebenezer.

Recently I submitted DNA samples to Family Tree DNA and discovered that I am connected to no one in any Miles project, this led me to look at my genealogy and to realise what I outlined above.

I have researched some of the Miles lines down to, among others George Cable Miles, discovering that he died February 1981 in Los Angeles. But his last Social Security benefit went to Randolph, Missouri.

What I am hoping for is to discover some male descendants of John Miles of Concord, Massachusetts, who would be willing to submit DNA samples to Family Tree DNA to the Miles Project, as it appears so far I am the only one so far to do so.

I was hoping to find some of those Miles descendants in Miles City but it appears not any more from what you say.

Oh well...If you know of any direct Miles males, please let me know. I have a few more from Benjamin and Mary I need to look into, one real near us in Portland, Oregon in the 1930's.
Hi Amorette, my name is Pete Miles (Charles Rogers Miles, Jr.). I am descended from John Miles of Concord, and split from the Line that goes to Arthur Daniel Miles you mentioned at Benjamin Prescott Miles b. 1724 in Concord, Mass. and Mary Billings Hubbard b. 1729 also in Concord. My ancestor is Ebenezer, b. 1758 in Rutland, Mass., older brother of John b. 1767 in Rutland, Mass. from whom Nelson, and Arthur are all descended.

In your post last summer with Cindi and a couple of others you mentioned that descendants of Arthur Daniel reside in Livingston, Mt. In a White Pages search I find a couple of Daniel Miles in Livingston. You would not happen to know if any of these would be descendants of John Miles of Concord?

What I am looking for is male descendants of John Miles that would be willing to submit DNA samples to the Family Tree DNA lab to prove the connections. I did this a number of weeks ago and requested my info be put in the Miles Project. They determined I am not related to any Miles in their Database.

George Cable Miles is another one, if he had any male children. I have found four or five others, all deceased that came down from Benjamin and Mary, scattered around, Illinois, Florida, New York, and even one near us, Portland, Oregon, we live in Bend, Oregon.

Any assistance in connecting with any of these Miles you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Hi again, Jori, I have an Emma Marian Miles born 4 October 1854 died 25 April 1918. She was the daughter of Rufus William Miles b. 1822 in Ohio and Mary Jane Bruce, b.1832 in Rutland, Vermont. Could this be your ancestor?

Rufus is the son of Solomon Stoddard Miles, b. 1794 in Ohio, and Ann Eliza Gilmore b. 1800 in Rutland Worcester County, Mass.

Posted by Ellen Compton (+35) 11 years ago
Dear Jori:
My relative, William Frederick Schmalsle, was an Indian guide, Scout, and Courier to Lieutenant Baldwin and General Miles. I would like to contact the relatives of Miles and share our genealogy.
Ellen K. Compton
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+121) 11 years ago
Hi Ellen,
If you do contack the relatives of Miles to share genealogy you might pass along the following:

In April 1879 George Miles (24) lost his cool over a property dispute, pulled his pistol, and threatened to shoot the unarmed Simon Basinski (23). Newly implimented city officers (most likely Morg Earp and Tom Hess) converged with prompt intervention, separating the two fellows. An arrest was made on George Miles.

Since there was no ordinance against carrying firearms, the amount of his fine paid the following day is unknown. Although there might have been some collution when George faced his colleague Judge Alex Carmichael. Miles had plenty of clout to throw around, considering he a J.P. in town, former U.S. Commissioner for Miles City, not to mention Supt. of Presbyterian Sunday School.

K.V.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 11 years ago
When looking for something else, I found this complete text on google books.
On pages 302&303 is the history of the Miles family, under Daniel Curtis Miles, that may be helpful.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs ..., Volume 3 By Ellery Bicknell Crane
Posted by john m evans (+9) 11 years ago
From what i know.
George had 2 daughters.
Hellen and Ruth.

Hellen has passed and her only daughter Mary is in a hospital tonight as i write this to you.
I spent time with both Hellen and Ruth, my mother could tell you alot more
We have a journal from the family trip to saudia arabia and some keep sakes from the trip.I also have some currency from the era from the first national bank of miles city.
Ruth had a daughter who is now known as Rosemary Evans.
Portland Oregon. I am one of her 5 sons.
John Miles Evans
you can email me at [email protected]
So this side of the family is very much surviving.
please drop me a line.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 11 years ago

Hey, not to throw a monkey wrench in this thing but I recently read an article in the New Yorker which mentioned an old study that had been conducted in which the researchers discovered that an unbelievably high number of their subjects were not related to their mothers' husbands! The testing was done in the early 40s or 50s I believe and the researcher was so stunned by his findings that he did not publish them. Only now have the results been revealed in the media and only because the journalist writing the New Yorker article promised to keep the researcher's name a secret.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (12/5/2009)]
Posted by Richard Miles (+5) 11 years ago
My name is Richard Miles and my great- great-grandfather was George Daniel Miles [1817-1891]. His grandfather was I believe another Richard Miles [1740-1819], who was a well-respected London numismatist (coin & medal collector & dealer).

This Richard Miles married in 1776 and had 3 surviving sons, one of whom (Richard Daniel) was my great- great- great-grandfather (i.e. George Daniel Miles' father), and I have been told that another son was the father of the US General, Nelson Appleton Miles.

I may have missed out a generation along the line, but would be grateful for any information or suggestions about the US branch of the Miles family.

My email address is [email protected]

With thanks

Richard Miles
Surrey, England
Posted by Brad Bentson (+5) 9 years ago
I Have a Bible in my possesion, that came from my Grandmother who lived in the bitteroot valley near Missouls Montana in the early 1800's.

The Bible Reads "In Memory Of Geroge M Miles, Miles City Montanna" onthe next page, the name Donald Miles Martin appears in handwriting.

I assume Donald was perhaps a Grandson of George M Miles. i.e. Donalds mother was a daughter of George M Martin ????

If anyone can throw some light on this,it would be appreacited.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 9 years ago
I only have these notes for George M. Miles's daughters.
Ruth married William Martin. Helen married Miles Hallett. They were both unmarried in 1930 census in Portland Oregon living with their mother. Father was listed in Chicago for census, he died in 1935 and was buried in Chicago; Mrs. Miles died in the forties and was also buried in Chicago.
Posted by john m evans (+9) 8 years ago
Don Miles Martin was the adopted son of Ruth Miles, George's daughter.
Ruth was my grandmother.
Don never had any children and died fairly young.