What's everyone listening to these days?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16234) 16 years ago
Like Amorette, I'm pretty bored with the political discussions here these days too. Its summer - time to fire up the barbie and listen to some hot tunes. I've been listening to a lot of country these days, and as of yesterday afternoon the following CDs have been in my carousel (it holds 5):

1. Slobberbone - Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today
2. Drive-By Truckers - Decoration Day
3. The Bottle Rockets - 24 Hours a Day
4. Robbie Fulks - Country Love Songs
5. The Waco Brothers - New Deal Blues

Good stuff all. I just hit the shuffle button and let'em fly.

Then yesterday afternoon some friends came over for dinner - Mexican night, we had green chile and chicken enchildas (made with Big Jims from Hatch, NM!), antelope carnitas tamales, served with rice and beans, homemade red chile sauce, pico de gallo, homebrew and Pineapple Margaritas. That warranted loading the changer up with reggae:

1. The Wailers - Soul Rebel
2. Desmond Drekker - Best of
3. Toots & the Maytalls - Best of
4. Third World - Reggae Embassadors
5. The Wailers - Burnin' (cause you can't play enough Bob!)

So what else is everyone playing to beat the heat?
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4454) 16 years ago
I've been in the mood for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy lately, some NOFX is taking me back to the good old days, and a couple songs from Chevelle are really cool.
Posted by Brady Stone (+162) 16 years ago
Shay Stewart- Friday nights a Vetrans Park on Mainstreet. He is becoming a Miles City Blues Legend.-MCPD

Willies Nelson-Whiskey River
Merle Haggard-swingin doors

The Country pot smoken revival is in full swing . Enjoy
Posted by Sarahkt99 (+60) 16 years ago
I just went to see Annie Lenox and Sting in concert about a week ago and it was amazing.

I really like Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Rusted Root, and the Jayhawks.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9950) 16 years ago
I've been listening to the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" lately... they're definately not country though.
Posted by Damian (+87) 16 years ago
Been listening to alot of different stuff latley and I never stick to one genre so here is a list of what you'll normally find in my changers.

White/Rob Zombie
Amon
Usher
Too $hort
Dazed and Confused Soundtrack
Nickle Back
Puddle of Mudd
Warrant
Beastie Boys
Kid Rock
Alien Ant Farm
Tim McGraw
Zepplin
CCR

anyway, thats just some of what I have been listening to lately.
Posted by Angela Setera (+105) 16 years ago
I listen to alot of country these days. During the school year I listened to more rock/pop/punk/alternative type stuff. (Cause we actually have radio stations that play music other than 80's crud...) I don't have VH1 or MTV at home either, so I pretty much am limited to 92.5 or one of my very few CD's.
Posted by glen french (+76) 16 years ago
loretta lynn has a interesting new album some rap (country style) and a nice rock duet

other than that i've been listening to
teena marie La Dona
Hanson Underneath they sound really grown up now
Luther Van Dross dance with my father has some great duets
Carolynn dawn Johnsons latest album is way cool
Blondie's "Curse of Blondie"
Posted by tracy pask (+88) 16 years ago
I have been listening too:
Gretchen Wilson - Red neck woman
Cross Canadian Ragweed - sick and tired
Brad Paisley - whiskey lullaby
some 80's
rock
Lincoln park
Evanescence
Lionel Richey (the old one, but it brings back memories)
Toby Keith - Whiskey Girl (and it really makes me want to drink whiskey)
Disco Rock - Shake your groove thing (I know I am not normal)
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5088) 16 years ago
Buddy Guy - Blues Singer
The Best of Bob Marley
Eric Clapton - "Me and Mr. Johnson"
Various Robert Cray CDs
Warren Zevon - Genius
Lou Reed
Big Head Todd & The Monsters (who will be in Billings next month - woo hoo!)
Milli Vanilli's greatest hits and ABBA.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+929) 16 years ago
I fully agree with Brady. Well, the earlier entry about Shea Stewart.

I've greatly enjoyed what music I've gotten the chance to listen to on Fridays at Veterans' Park and Shea has been one of the best to catch. This kid hasn't been playing all that long, either, which really impresses me. For anyone who hasn't gotten the chance to sit in on the event you really should take the time. It is a show-up/listen/leave anytime you want deal. As for young Mr. Stewart, he can play.

As for music -- first I'm a big fan of Apple's iTunes, but I can't afford an iPod (birthday gift hint. Hmmm.) Now, I don't care what anyone thinks I'll say it -- I like the Dixie Chicks. That's right, buddy, so get off my back.
supporter
So Bart - Why don't you just go and move to France?

Dang! I forgot what forum I was in for a second! Sorry.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 16 years ago
Ipod-schmipod

Take a look at one of these. The same hard drive (Ipod) size will cost you $50 - $100 more (depending on whatever it is the determines the prices on this website - I got mine for $192 and now they are $250 something). At any rate, this machine has a nice little color screen that plays back video. You can also hook it up to your TV, it's very cool. Plus, for you Dixie Chicks fans, it's made in France.

http://www.newegg.com/app...18&depa=10

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 7/21/2004).]
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+929) 16 years ago
Oh my, what have I done? Anti-American band and Anti-Apple Computer in just one little comment. Quick, close the box lid. Acutally I don't listen to anything. I, ahh, whistle a lot making the songs up as I go . . . using no electronic musical device.

All time favorite band -- okay here goes -- Earth, Wind, and Fire. And, technology was a bad thing for them. When they started putting down the brass instruments for electronic, that was a mistake.
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+363) 16 years ago
I keep busy listening to the voices in my head.
Posted by Cinda C (+88) 16 years ago
I love the Dixie Chicks!
Vanessa Carlton is cool. Norah Jones. Gotta love their voices.
Posted by Jennifer Barth (+17) 16 years ago
Lyle Lovett, I love the variety of music on his albums
Damien Rice,
The sound track to "Frida", should be underlined but I don't know how. I think this last choice has caused my attention deficit. It's hard to pay attention to conversations in english when there are spanish lyrics dancing through your head
Posted by Lee Akers (+262) 16 years ago
I'm a great fan of the Christian group "The Second Chapter of Acts" They are no longer together, but they made some amazing music. Two Sisters and their brother. Almost all of the music and lyrics were written by Annie Herring, the soprano in the group. The music was arranged by her husband Buck. It is hard to lable. Not really rock, not really jazz, not typical praise music. I classify it as Classical music. Just as Brahms, Beethoven et al created (then) modern music for the church, using currently popular instruments, These people create modern music for the church using currently popular instruments. I have most of their music on cassette tapes, and really should transfer them to CD, before I wear them out. If you can find them, (Probably have to ask your local christian bookstore or music outlet to order them. Mostly on the Sparrow lable I think.) You will be uplifted if not by the lyrics, by the arrangements, and beauty of the songs. O.K, I know, I know, brevity... But what can I say? I'm a fan.
Ozzy's greatest hits.
Posted by cheryred1973 (+196) 16 years ago
hey Cin, how is that Vanessa Carleton CD???? How about the Big Bad Voodo Daddies??
Posted by Wendy Barnes (+27) 16 years ago
well, my repertoire includes Norah Jones, Nat King Cole, The Pope (he can really rock), and various soundtracks cause I like the variety they offer, Hits of the 70s and much more. I particularly like the Soundtrack to "The Bridges of Madison County", jazz/blues, awesome. At work I like to tune in to one of my two favorite Canadian radio stations, Jack FM out of Calgary and Z99 out of Regina. Can't beat that Canadian Content!! The first album of "The Barenaked Ladies" was the best, but unfortunately it never made it to the US.

W.
supporter
Posted by Chuck Littleton (+140) 16 years ago
Van Halen (all)
Zeppelin
Ozzy
And who can forget the Stones?
Any idea what has become of 'Box of Frogs'?
Posted by Nathan (+1) 16 years ago
IF you are into hard kick ass music check out
BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

SDMF
Posted by MCGirl (+301) 16 years ago
Nathan--Zakk Wylde is amazing! Is he still with Ozzy's touring band?

Heavy Rotation in my CD Player:
Rolling Stones
Led Zep
Motley Crue
Gary Allan (for the country in me)
G n R
and the all-time greatest American rock band...Aerosmith
Posted by Toni Campbell Tivy (+146) 16 years ago
I am really loving the Jamband Music Mcene these days...Sirius Satellite Radio has a Jamband channel (or 2) if you want to check it out-among the bands are Phish, the Dave Matthews Band, the String Cheese Incident, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Moe, Martin Medeski and Woods-when you go to see a performance you expect to see INCREDIBLE musicians. They have a sound somewhere between Rock, Jazz and Country and Western (a lot of their covers are American Folk Music with a Bluegrassy twist). I grew up listening to the 70's bands just mentioned, and think these modern musicians/bands can definitely hold their own with the great musicians of all time.

These bands are not usually hugely commercial-don't choose to fit in with a "Pop Music" format so don't get much airtime on the Clear Channel Radio Monopolies. Still, they draw large crowds when they perform (125,000+ at the "It" Festival, sell out Madison Square Garden in New York in 1 hour, average large crowds and even have a Grammy Catagory now) They are great live- they play at a variey of Music Festivals across the U.S. such as "Bonaroo" , "Limestone", The "High Sierra Music Festival" and the "Telluride Bluegrass Festival" in Colorado.(I've heard of a couple in Montana and Idaho but don't know the names)

One thing I like about these bands (this scene) is that they want to make the music accessible to everyone. They refuse to cash in on sold out shows and their popularity by raising ticket prices above $35. People who love them refuse to screw over other people by scalping extra tickets at sold out shows at huge prices. Lots of people at the shows have a caring, sharing attitude and even give away tickets if they think someone waiting can't afford them.

Anyway, just wanted to get the word out about a HUGE "Underground" scene I've gotten in on......
founder
Posted by Chad (+1766) 16 years ago
I've been listening to a lot of different stuff the past couple of weeks,

Blue Man Group
Rammstein
Chris Zippel
Chemical Brothers
Moby
Green Day
Limp Biskit
Pop Will Eat Itself
The Cars
Devo
Pink
Jimmie Eat World
Jamiroquai
INXS
Calexico
Linkin Park
MC 900 Ft Jesus
The Police
Van Halen (early)
Beat Farmers

Very diverse mix of stuff, most though has a lot of electronics or raging guitars and a real strong hook.

Definitely no opera.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+378) 16 years ago
Ozzy-"Crazy Train"
Sheryl Crow's greatest hits
Lynyrd Skynyrd -old stuff with barefoot Ronnie or new with 'lil bro
SRV-"Scuttlbuttin'"
I'm anxiously awaiting the new album "Julio Iglesias & the Chipmunks-together at last",along with Lawrence Welk/Shimilitzky Fun Time Band's new heavy metal album "Gonna Party 'Till De Accordian Breaks"
Posted by pulmonade (+114) 16 years ago
Bonnie "Prince" Billy (Greatest Palace Music, Ease Down the Road)
Slint (Spiderland)
MOdest MOuse (All)
Black Flag(pre-rollins)
Neil Young (Decade)
Skip James (all)
Shellac (all)
Sonic Youth (all)
Elliot Smith (From a Basement on the Hill, eponymous)
Frank Black (Teenager of the Year)
Ween (all)
Desert Sessions 9&10 (Queens of the Stone Age)
Amelie Soundtrack (Yann Tiersen)
Son House (all)
Beck (one foot in the grave)
Meat Puppets (II)
Jesus Lizard (all)
NIck Cave (lyre of Orpheus, Abbotoir Blues)
Tom Waits (all)

I listen to a lot of music, and I don't even own an iPod. When my attention span is confronted with my laze, my laze usually wins out. That is why I defend records as the greatest medium. And that is not even taking sound quality into consideration, the two cannot be compared. When you throw an LP on the turntable and sit down to your computer, you probably let it play through. I like hearing the whole album. The fact that people don't is destroying music. No one could get anything done if they put a Brittney Spears record on the turntable. I would recommend everyone of these albums to anyone wanting to listen to a good album.
Posted by cheryred1973 (+196) 16 years ago
Dwight Yokam's Greatest Hits
Norah Jones
Kenny Chesney "Be As You Are" (he is turning me into a Jimmy Buffet fan...)
supporter
Posted by Van (+560) 16 years ago
The BAND's greatest hits.
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+311) 16 years ago
The Piano Concerto by Aram Khachaturian. I heard and saw a performance of this piece by Jean Claude Thibaudet and the Colorado Symphony a few years ago which sounded and appeared miraculous and impossible. And it still seems that way every time I hear the recording. It's an amazing example of the ability of people to create beauty.
Ken Z
supporter
Home at lunch, the wife gone at Missoula, time to crank up the volume. In the 5-CD changer on random were:

Southern Culture on the Skids - "Liquored Up and Lacquered Down"
Man or Astro-man - "Live"
Meat Puppets - "II" (dang, i have something in common with pulmonade)
and the Essential Clash - Discs I and II

I have one of those elliptical trainers at home, which i work out on with the head phones. After many months, I would have to say that the Clash are about the best workout music of all time. Ted Nugent's "Tooth +Fang & Claw" comes in a distant second.
Posted by Bill Gierke (+82) 15 years ago
I just wanted to restart this thread as I need some new music. I am currently listening to JJ Cale's "Back to Tulsa" as well as The Floating Men's "The Song of the Wind". I listen to almost anything. Any suggestions?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14554) 15 years ago
I guess because I grew up as a redneck and hung out at the "north door", I never listened to things like Carlos Santana. I am enjoying some of the older rock groups.

This new crap they call "country"... what is up with that??
Posted by Eric Brandt (+847) 15 years ago
Today I am whetting my phonic appetite with a little bit of
Organ Music Vol. 1: Chorale Setting: Fuga Magnificat - Played by Walter Kraft
Album : Bach: Organ Music, Vol.1 - Kraft
available from MSN Music for a modest fee.
Posted by Dan (+466) 15 years ago
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
founder
Posted by Chad (+1766) 15 years ago
www.radiopardise.com through I-tunes.
Posted by MCGirl (+301) 15 years ago
Shooter Jennings is the latest on my list--love him! Kinda a southern rock/country if you don't expect waylon kind of feel. Diggin' it.
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+284) 15 years ago
"This new crap they call country. What's up with that?"
Just what you said Richard. It's pure "crap."
Posted by Brian (+363) 15 years ago
Queensryche, Savatage, Bach, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Type O Negative, Mozart, Megadeth, Beethoven, Disturbed, Wagner, Breaking Benjamin, the Star Wars soundtracks, Sonata Arctica, Rammstein, Aerosmith, Puccini, Korn, Public Radio, XM Comedy 150, Handel and the occasional prank call from the Jerky Boys, just to name a VERY small amount of what I listen to.
Posted by gypsykim (+1558) 15 years ago
The new Il Divo Christmas Album
Posted by Chris Choate-Raible (+22) 15 years ago
I went with friends to see Keith Urban on Sunday and had a great time! I'm also listening to the new Scott Sapp, Foo Fighters and Aerosmith. Going to see Aerosmith with Lenny Kravitz in February.

Happy Holidays in snowy Miles City from cloudy Phoenix Az.

Chris Choate-Raible
supporter
Chris - it has been a while! Glad to see your back.
supporter
Posted by Van (+560) 15 years ago
John Cash
supporter
Pete: I made the comment about country music to my dad a while back and he started in on Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, and George Strait, all of which I happen to really like. I suspect in his mind everyone since the Sons of the Pioneers would qualify.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2606) 15 years ago
Streaming audio on http://www.radio2xs.com.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16234) 15 years ago
As I noted way back when on the start of this thread, there is lots of good new country music. Problem is, it doesn't get played on the airwaves.

At this point in time, the only recommendation I can make is for everyone to get a CD my dear brother gave me many years ago, "James Brown's Funky Christmas". I have yet to find a better holiday album.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+821) 15 years ago
Anything by Bonnie Raitt, especially her newest. Incredible
Posted by Slosh (+692) 15 years ago
A vast majority of what I listen to is Pearl Jam. I have a pretty good collection of concerts going. Besides Pearl Jam, right now I'm switching around between The Killers, Modest Mouse, The Ramones Greatest Hits, The Who and Jesse Lang
Posted by Sod Buster (+97) 15 years ago
I guy by the name of Lewi Longmire out of Portland is really good...but good luck finding it anywhere.

the ROLLING STONES new disc "A Bigger Bang" is their best disc in years (1978 to be exact).

Toby Keith "Honkytonk U"
AC/DC "If You Want Blood"
Rolling Stones "Rarites 1971-2003"
"Wanted: the Outlaws"
Eddie Spaghetti "Old Number 2"
The Amazing Rythm Aces "Too Stuffed to Jump" and "Stacked Deck"
Johnny Cash "Personal Christmas"

and of course anything that Dave Brown recommends
Posted by Chris Choate-Raible (+22) 15 years ago
Richard it's good to be back. I log in each day to see what's new in Miles City. My sister Sue complained last night that she just cleared the sidewalk and it was full of snow again. Lot's of good memories of home. I want to add that Amy Grant, Celine Dion, and assorted others filled our home with Christmas songs tonight while we decorated our tree (finally).

Happy Holidays,
Chris
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8899) 15 years ago
"Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys"

Saw both of these bands in concert this year. Maybe next year I'll see the Real MacKenzies...

Those plus "classic" Anthrax was money well spent.

As far as new music goes - System Of A Down.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9670) 15 years ago
Eden Atwood's "Waves, The Bossa Nova Session"
http://www.edenatwood.com/biography.html
http://www.edenatwood.com...waves.html

Diana Krall's "All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio"
http://www.dianakrall.com/music5.aspx

And for a change of pace, a little Junior Brown - "Guit With It."
http://www.juniorbrown.com/biography.asp
http://www.juniorbrown.co...graphy.asp
founder
supporter
sponsor
What's everyone listening to these days?

Seems like Rumours (1977), Fleetwood Mac, might be popular with some
supporter
The smart ones are listening to "Always drink upstream from the herd"
founder
supporter
sponsor
There's always the late & great Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+291) 15 years ago
Hysteria by Def Leppard except maybe for Eric. Think he is stuck on Frida's I Know There's Something Going On
Posted by Dan (+466) 15 years ago
Outlaw Country on Sirius has been kinda interesting lately...
founder
supporter
sponsor
For some reason, I've been thinking of the late, great Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".
Posted by Sod Buster (+97) 15 years ago
Hal...
that is the funniest post of the year
founder
supporter
sponsor
There's probably a Zevon song for any occasion - if not, then there's always Tom Waits
Posted by Marley (+50) 14 years ago
Anything good out?
Posted by Sod Buster (+97) 14 years ago
my bro gave me....Jerry Lee Lewis, "Killer Country"....and it's the best country I've heard in years.
Posted by Heath H (+643) 14 years ago
Nora Jones
"What Am I To You"

Excellent tune.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9670) 14 years ago
For some reason I had this song on my mind all day, so I had to rummage through my CDs and find it: "Teenage Immigrant Welfare Mothers on Drugs." Maybe it will go away now that I've listened to it

If you've not listened to Austin Lounge Lizards - give them a try . . . they're pretty good in small doses.

There are some mp3 samples at their web site:
http://www.austinlizards....thers.html
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6016) 14 years ago
Brian's Top 10 (as of 4/13/06):

1.) Led Zep
2.) Metallica
3.) Tool/A Perfect Circle - currently my musique du jour (see if you can connect the dots with my Who Speaks For... posting)
4.) Godsmack
5.) Dixie Chicks - seriously. (Most all other country, especially the D.B. Toby Keith - is not worthy of being called music. Email me if you want alternative lyrics to the D.B.'s songs. Blech!)
6.) The Who
7.) The Killers
8.) AC/DC (something I share - GASP! - with The IWMK, at least from back in the day)
9.) Any classic guitar blues-based rock (Cream, old Aerosmith, the Kinks, The Rolling Stones, etc.)
10.) This slot is on a randomly-rotating basis, currently occupied by Pantera as I am feeling nostalgic. This slot has recently been filled by The White Stripes, Foo Fighters and Beethoven. Hardcore early-90's gangsta rap also periodically appears here.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1428) 14 years ago
My MP3's are all over the place... I make no apologies for my current set list:

Luciano Pavarotti: Ah! Mes amis (9 high C's!)
Pac Man Fever (not sure how that one got in)
Billy Joel
Pretty Maids
Van Halen
Matchbox 20
Men at Work
Dio
Slade
Europe
Patti Austin
Monks of Santo Domingo
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi
Eddie Rabbit
Heart
Iron Maiden
...and I think there's some Santana and Y&T mixed in there somewhere.

Posted by Sam Hould (+47) 14 years ago
I have been into Guy Clark, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, and Gordon Lightfoot.

If your looking for something new, try:

http://www.myspace.com/samhould.

They're just a few of the songs I have been writing lately. Let me know what you think.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8899) 14 years ago
All the cool people listen to System Of A Down, Mr. Reed - ALL the cool people.
Posted by Andy Hanson (+161) 14 years ago
If you want some fresh air in your music listen to the best out of Africa. Ry Cooder and the late Ali Farka Toure, Talking Timbuktu.
Or Fela Kuti's The Best Best of Fela Kuti. Or any album by Habib Koite and Bamada. Or the astounding sounds of Tinarewin's Ammasakoul. Just trying to expand this discussion.

Andy Hanson
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6016) 14 years ago
I agree with you, Bridgier. They're on my #10 rotation.
Posted by deer_slayer (+489) 14 years ago
Best of Trojan Records....Reggae Music (Box Set)
Big Blunts Vol. II
The Libertines
Trucker's Jukebox
Albert King...New Orleans Heat
Posted by Chris Choate Raible (+36) 14 years ago
The new Rascal Flats ,Goo Goo Dolls Live in Brooklyn, Sheryl Crow Wildflowers, and AC/DC Back in Black.
Current rotation in the slayer's stereo:

Hank III - Straight from Hell
Amazing Rythm Aces - Stacked Deck and Too Stuffrd to Jump
Lewi Longmire - If I live to be 100
James Lowe - Blackheart
Queens of the Stone Age -- Love Songs for the Deaf
Lou Reed - Rock 'n Roll Diary
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy

Hank III is playing tonight in Denver at the Ogden Theatre. He's more like his grandpa than his daddy, with a whole lot more substance abuse issues...should make for a great show.
Posted by Slosh (+692) 14 years ago
Currently I have the new Pearl Jam album on heavy rotation in the iPod. I have no problem saying it's their best work in probably a decade. If they really wanted to, this could be the biggest album of the year. Either way, it's a great listen.

I've also been getting into the indie band The Postal Service. It's a side project of the lead singer of Death Cab For Cutie and is just a nice, smooth lyrics over electronic beats. It's good stuff.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+94) 14 years ago
I have been stuck on the newest AFI since it's release on June 6th. December Underground is the title. Not for the faint of ear, it is very loud and raucous, but like most AFI it's also the dark and dirty side of rock and roll. It may be better than their last release, Sing the Sorrow, which I thought just might be the best CD I have heard in many years. An amazingly powerful band. I am trying to arrange a road trip to see them perform live this summer, as I suspect that show could be just huge. And nothing beats the large rock and roll when it's live. Anybody have any good live concert stories to tell? Who? When? Where?
GOOD LORD!!!!!

I am just returning to my senses after last night's Hank III show. So, I gotta admit, last time I saw this guy I didn't stay for his death metal band AssJack, who plays last. Well, I stayed last night and all I can say is GOOD LORD!!!! I don't know how many of you are death metal fans but this stuff gave Slayer a run for their money. I usually don't find myself listening to this sort of thing, but I was intrigued by the lead singer bludgening himself with his microphone as Hank Williams III soaked the front rows of the mosh pit with the sweat from his hair spraying as he head banged. One poor bastard walked out of the show holding his gut...shirt soaked in blood. looked liked someone stabbed him. Ambulance showed up and got him out of there. Crazy.

I think in the future, I will enjoy the country set of a Hank III show and then get as far away as possible before the AssJack onslaught follows.

Next Up for the slayer: Earl Scruggs and Sam Bush Band at Rocky Grass in Lyons, CO July 30th. I doubt anyone will get stabbed at that show.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+821) 14 years ago
Tom Russell - one of the finest singer-songwriters to ever come out of Texas. Check out his website @ www.tomrussell.com and I think some of you may become instant fans. He will be in Montana for 3 dates next month. July 3rd, David Letterman is bringing him in for a special show. I was lucky to snag him (and a great, small 85 seat venue) for July 5th, and he plays Kalispell on the 7th.

He is up there with Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, and the other great ones. If you can break away and want to see him, email me, and I'll hold tickets.

I have been trying to get him here for 2 years, and the time was right!
Posted by T4TX (+43) 14 years ago
I just attended a concert by The Fab Four, a Beatles tribute group. It is their third appearance here and my third attendance at their concert. Copyright infringement laws prevent them from directly naming any part of their act with the Beatles, but otherwise it is an astonishingly faithful note for note covering of all of their hits, including Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day in the Life which the originals never could do on stage.

They mix their repertoire with each appearance just enough to make it interesting. If you close your eyes you would think it is the real thing. They are faithful in their impersonations down to the last detail, including the man who does Paul plays a left handed bass guitar.

They have a home base in Las Vegas if you can't catch one of their concerts. They also have a website @ thefabfour.com.
Posted by Gary Bonine (+87) 14 years ago
KJ-52 ..what!?..you mean theres such a thing as Christian rap?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14554) 14 years ago
"you mean theres such a thing as Christian rap"

No, just noise with pietistic lyrics.
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+214) 14 years ago
Hasn't anyone in Miles City discovered the "KOTTONMOUTH KINGS"? I have all seven CD's...just can't get enough of them!! Not exactly easy listening---would say more like white rappers with a message..Can't find anyplace in Miles City that carries the albums so get them over the internet...
Posted by Ted Stein (+89) 14 years ago
Whatever is on Sirius...thank god for satellite radio! Definitely worth the investment.
supporter
"just noise with peitistic lyrics"

Isn't that a pretty good description of most Christian popular music?

I mean, they're not exactly writing "Amazing Grace" anymore, are they?

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (edited 8/14/2006).]
founder
Posted by Chad (+1766) 14 years ago
radioparadise.com at 128k.
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+214) 14 years ago
XM RADIO---CHANNEL 46---TOP TRACKS!! LED ZEPPELIN--HENDRIX--CHICAGO--YOU GET THE PICTURE---ALL THE GREATS, MOSTLY 70'S STUFF--JANICE JOPLIN--GETS MY MOJO WORKIN FOR SURE!!
I just saw the Black Crowes w/ Robert Randolf, and the Drive-By Truckers at Red Rocks on Sat. night. Amazing. Chris Robinson is the definition of the term ROCK STAR. Great Show...Marc Ford and Rich Robinson played great. If you get a chance to see 'em...do it!
Posted by RA (+651) 14 years ago
XM Radio, mostly.....KIKC (Forsyth) for the 'local news'.

XM.....lets see #06 - the 60's, original Stones, Beach Boys, Supremes, Aretha, Brenda Lee, etc.
.......#13 - Hank's Place, traditional good-old country from the 50's, 60's, & 70's, Loretta, the Possum, Little Jimmy, Grandpa Jones, et.c.
and all the other channels, at some time during the month.....Classical, Jazz, R & B, NASCAR, all except 'Rap' or 'Hip-Hop'!

What more do we need??
Posted by Gary Bonine (+87) 14 years ago
"I mean, they're not exactly writing "Amazing Grace" anymore, are they?"

Yeah.. who's CRAZY idea was it to appeal to a younger, not so stiff collered, enthusiastic group of truth seeking individuals!?

Though speaking of 'Amazing Grace' my music library does contain a smashing instrumental 'punk cover' version.
supporter
The one by the Dropkick Murphys?

I was talking about the "Jesus Is My Boyfriend" style that seems so popular, to say nothing of lyrics that are full of I's and Me's, but never an Us or a We.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+236) 14 years ago
"to say nothing of lyrics that are full of I's and Me's,"

I couldn't agree more!

Most of the lyrics of so called christian music have become the 7-11 self-justification varity.

They sing 7 words 11 times usually starting with "I just wanna....."

Posted by Jon Bonine (+161) 14 years ago
If you want an interesting critique of pop christianity, try anything by Derek Webb. It can be thought provoking
supporter
At least I try to provide links:
http://www.newpantagruel....and_my.php
Posted by Jon Bonine (+161) 14 years ago
okay, http://www.christianityto...webb.html
and http://www.google.com/mus...ct=result
I haven't heard his new CD, but his first two were pretty thought provoking. While the first link is for Christianity Today, I haven't heard any of his music on christian radio. The second is just googled

[This message has been edited by Jon Bonine (edited 8/21/2006).]
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Starkey (+237) 14 years ago
XM Satellite Radio came with my new car - So I'm back in the 50's again!
Mason Jennings...I think the album is Boneclouds. Pretty Good. Also, the Drive-By Truckers new album, A Blessing and a Curse, is pretty good.
Posted by Heather Mowry (Darling) (+32) 14 years ago
My MP3's are all over the place... I make no apologies for my current set list:

Luciano Pavarotti: Ah! Mes amis (9 high C's!)
Pac Man Fever (not sure how that one got in)
Billy Joel
Pretty Maids
Van Halen
Matchbox 20
Men at Work
Dio
Slade
Europe
Patti Austin
Monks of Santo Domingo
Def Leppard
Bon Jovi
Eddie Rabbit
Heart
Iron Maiden
...and I think there's some Santana and Y&T mixed in there somewhere.
-D MOWRY

I am with my husband, especially since he is the one in control of loading my MP3 player. I did just listen to some older stuff the other day, Temple of the Dog and Spin Doctors. Mostly 80s hard rock though.
Posted by Chris Choate Raible (+36) 14 years ago
I just went to see Def Leppard and Journey here last week so I'm listening to Def Leppard Vault..greatest hits
Posted by mule train (+1046) 12 years ago
2006????

I'm listening to Bob Dylan's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid Soundtrack"

I've decided it is the best record (at least top 5) that I have ever heard.

This album truely defines "my taste" in music...sure there are a few others out there, but nothing better.

I can't use it any more....too dark to see....knockin' on heaven's door.........

that long black cloud is coming down.......

good stuff.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14554) 12 years ago
The Best of Esteban
Posted by Stephenie (+57) 12 years ago
I agree with mule train, Bob Dylan is one of the greatest song writers. God bless Bob Dylan!xoxo

[This message has been edited by Stephenie (edited 12/4/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16234) 12 years ago
When I drove home from Thanksgiving, I dug out a cassette I hadn't listened to for at least 10 years (I don't do cassettes any more, but my wife's car is limited in musical options). I listened to the old Todd Rundgren album, "Something/Anything" in its original doulbel LP entirety. Now there is some old classic rock that sounds great, as it is not played to death by today's FM classic rock radio. It sounded fantastic, especially the old album sides 3&4.

Now if I could only get my friggin' stereo digitizer turntable to work, I could digitize "A Wizard, A True Star"...another great Todd Rundgren album from the good ole days.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 12 years ago
I just bought a "best of" album of Elvis Costello' early days. Reminds be of my stint as a DJ at the campus radio station. Other than that I'm pretty limited to NPR and a local station called X96 that plays bands such as Sublime, The Offspring, Kink, Ludo, Green Day, Weezer. And some older alternative stuff such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Lots of Red Hot Chile Peppers.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1587) 12 years ago
A recording from Friday Night Music at the book store.
Posted by Cris Hrabak (+63) 12 years ago
Picked up the new Taylor Swift album... Gunner did you know that Todd is now the lead singer of the Cars?
Posted by Cris Hrabak (+63) 12 years ago
[This message has been edited by Cris Hrabak (edited 12/5/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 12 years ago
The radio has been treating me well

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 12/5/2008).]
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1267) 12 years ago
Karmakanic - Who's the Boss In the Factory = Awesome!
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1587) 12 years ago
Miles City Books & News-Open Mic 08 Mix
Townes Van Zandt

Thanks Don S.
Posted by mule train (+1046) 12 years ago
My wife's dad just gave us the second half of his record collection last night (around 100 albums)...I've been jamming Aretha Franklin, Beach Boys, Rod Stewart, the Band, and Rare Earth all morning.

I also picked up "California Jam 2" (double lp) and the Georgia Satellites first alblum at the record shop the other day. Cal Jam 2 has a 3 song set by Aerosmith which really shows them at their peek.

Hank III's new album is pretty dark. I'm guessing he'll be dead in 5 years at the rate he's going. Johnny Cash's America is a decent compilation I picked up from the library. I also burned Kenny Chesney's latest (Jimmy Buffet part II), and the Grateful Dead in Egypt '78.

I gotta say that there is no comparison for how vinyl sounds compared to digital. The sound of vinyl is 10 times more rich and textured compared to listening to an mp3 or a CD. So I suggest that you continue to 'spin the black circle' Milestown!
Posted by Samantha (+117) 12 years ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers "sir psycho sexy" at the moment
don't like the country, do the rock

here's a plug. Sirius 28 Faction the Jason Ellis Show 1-5 p.m. daily
Posted by Tony Manero (+101) 12 years ago
"One of Those Nights" by The Cab, a Las Vegas quintet that absolutely rocks!
Posted by Mary McClarty (+83) 12 years ago
Dropkick Murphys, ACDC (the new CD is fantastic) and John Coltrane - gotta mix it up a bit!!
Posted by Relayer (+3) 12 years ago
Yes, Uriah Heep, The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Rush, etc., etc.
Posted by RA (+651) 12 years ago
Celtic Woman - Christmas album, "Ding, Dong, Merrily on High".....absolutely angelic voices!
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1267) 12 years ago
Yes, Uriah Heep, The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Rush, etc., etc.

Wow! Someone else who tuned in. (clap clap)

Better check out the new Karmakanic then.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 12 years ago
Try Flight of the Conchords. Business Time is hilarious.