Venue for free Rock concert help?
Posted by jlaustill (+17) 14 years ago
Hello yall,

I would like to bring a Rock band to Miles City to do a free concert and give a local band a chance to play as well. What I'm finding is that it is VERY hard to find a venue. All I need is a place with power and some sort of shelter, and NOT a bar, these bands will play family friendly music, so we'd like minors to be able to attend.

My first thought was the building at riverside park, but it turns out that the city now wants a 50 dollar fee, and we'd have to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of insurance. As you may well imagine that doesn't equate well with FREE concert

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the date we are looking at is June 23rd, and the bands website is www.litmuhs.com if your interested.

Thanks, have a great day yall!
Joshua Austill
founder
Posted by Chad (+1769) 14 years ago
Check with the mayor RE: Miles City books & News. It's Obama central until the Primary is over, but Open Mic night is still happening. I'm sure he and Tucker would be glad to host.
Obama central sounds like a good place to be for a band with 4 HUGE Obama donators, and one member who swears he's the anti-christ himself(pastors kid). Would anyone happen to know the number to call? I'm in Billings, so I don't have an MC phonebook handy, thanks!!!
Posted by Scott (+260) 14 years ago
Joshua!!!!!! Since when did you get involved with a band.
When HAVEN'T I been involved with a band of one sort or another?
Ok.....You got me, highschool doesnt count though. Really when did this whole thing come about and what are you playing?
This band is new, I was playing in a country band for the last few years and just got kinda sick of it. So, I started a rock band haha. I'm playing the guitar, check out the website, it's actually pretty good

So, it this Scott bickel, denardi, or other? haha
I checked it out. Not to bad there Jizosh. You need to turn up the vocalists mic though. She is drown out kind of badly on the website.
Haha, those recordings were made with the built in mic on a laptop. I was extremely happy they turned out as well as they did haha. And they were made with just me and the vocalist, so no bass or keyboard, and since that song is a piano based song, it sounds MUCH different live We only made those recording's to record our thoughts, and since I had them I threw them on the website haha.

We really have no plans of ever making real recordings, we just wanna play shows and have some fun
Posted by JLB (+216) 14 years ago
You might check with Cafe Utza also, though it would be during business hours and I think they close around 5 or so. Not sure if that would work with the "rock atmosphere" I think something along Main Street on a weekend night would be cool, good luck with everything. If you have a good turnout however, you might want to check in with one of the local bars it could bring in younger crowds and change the atmosphere a tad.. may start a new trend. Good Luck!!
Posted by Slosh (+695) 14 years ago
I know that the Texas Club has put on all ages shows on Main Street before, getting a license to block off Main St. So that might be an option, although I know they got burned the last time they did it so I'm not sure how excited they are to do it again.
How did they get burned?
Posted by Beth Oswald (+277) 14 years ago
Another option could possibly be the college. We were talking about it and thought it woudl be cool to even have it outside if the weather were decent. If not, we could see if the Centra was available for an alternate location. Although the acoustics aren't great in the Centra, it would be free.
We would actually prefer outside It would be great to have it at a place that people could bring a lawn chair and just relax, and bring their family's and what not. Who would I have to call about the college?
Posted by Beth Oswald (+277) 14 years ago
I am actually the person to contact. You can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 874-6164. Thanks!
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 14 years ago
They have recently put in some bleacher by the track and the infield would make a nice place for dancers to enjoy the music, and having the Centra as a weather back-up would great way to avoid that problem.
Posted by kent fandrich (+119) 14 years ago
Hey how about the Art Center? They do the shakespeare in the Park there. Electricity and parking and seating for everyone. Just my 2 cents.