SHOOK FAMILY
Posted by Tina Meckle (+15) 11 years ago
I AM DOING SOME GENEALOGY ON THE SHOOK FAMILY FROM THE MILES AREA.
WHAT I KNOW IS THAT EDWARD AND MARY SHOOK WENT TO MONTANA AROUND 1916,MARY WAS A TEACHER. EDWARD DIED 1/18/1926,LEAVING HIS WIFE MARY AND CHILDREN, I KNOW MARY WAS ON THE 1930 CENSUS AS LIVING WITH HER SON HERMAN F.SHOOK AND HIS WIFE BERTHA. NOW I BELIEVE HERMAN F. SHOOK AND BERTHA HAD HERMAN J.SHOOK,TWINS GLADYS AND GLEN WHO WERE BORN ABOUT 1924.I BELIEVE GLEN MAY HAVE MARRIED A LADY NAMED LAUREL. THE CENSUS STATED THAT HERMAN F.SHOOK WAS A FARMER, CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND ANYTHING OUT ABOUT THIS FAMILY? HELP IS APPRECIATED.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+411) 11 years ago
Hi Tina,

I went to school with Lorna and Valerie Shook (children of Glen and Laurel). Lorna and I graduated in 1975 and I believe Val graduated in 1973. I saw Val in Billings during the summer of 2001. At that time she was an RN on the oncology ward at St. Vincent Hospital. Hope this helps.
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 11 years ago
Tina,
I called Val and her mom, Laurel, will contact you.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+589) 11 years ago
Tina,
Did you need census info going back? Here is a quick brief, I have more detail from census if you don't have it.

1920 MT Custer Miles Ward
Shook Edward 60 North Carolina born Railroad Oiler owned house on North Custer.
Mary wife 59 NC born
Robert son 32 worked for Railroad
Finley H son 27 no occupation listed

1910 Oklahoma- Mayes Co- Rider twp
Shook Edward R 49 married 28 yrs born NC, parents born NC farmer rented.
Mary B or R 48 has 5 children alive of 11 born, born NC, parents born NC.
Herman F. 17 farmer
Robert B 23 engineer
William H 21 farmer

1900 North Carolina Buncombe County- Leicester
Shook Edward R 39
Mary R 38
Cola 17
Rebecca E 15
Robert B 13
Doctor H. W. 10
Findley M 7

1880 North Carolina Buncombe County- Leicester
Shook E R 19 farm labor
in household of Robeson family

1870 North Carolina Haywood County- Beaverdam
Shook, Wm L 40 farmer (brothers JD & DP Shook next door)
Sarah Ann 40
Andrew L 19
Sofa A 16
Merten 15
Martha 14
Edward R 10
Dewitt M 4
Mary C 8/12
Posted by Carol Clepper (+12) 11 years ago
Hi Tina - Are you related to the Shook's in some way? I'm curious as to your interest - Glen and Laurel Shook are my parents. My mother called just a minute ago - I don't want her bothered for something that is not legit. Just being cautious - she is elderly and sometimes confused by computer technology. I would appreciate your answer.

Carol Clepper
actually my brother in law is, he asked me to do some research for him, he and my sister recently moved to abasaroke? if that is spelled right. anyway i do genealogy but could not really find a paper trail or photos, i know they went to a cemetery and looked at a few grave sites and he mentioned he knew of one elderly shook member, that he knew of in your area somewhere, anyway thank you for your reply, would love any info or maybe a photo or two if you could help, i can send my email address if you would like.
tina
thank you so much, i could only find the 1930 census, i knew the shook family came from north carolina, but did not know which family to follow since my brother in law had only limited information.
Posted by Carol Clepper (+12) 11 years ago
Tina - who is your brother-in-law? We are not aware of any relatives in this area - we will be in MT this summer - my e-mail is [email protected] Please reply to the e-mail address. Thanks.
thank you so much for the census, its kind of funny, if you look at

the 1880 census it has edward living with the robeson family,

well i live in south carolina,and there is a county here called

robeson. i bet it is named after this family,

i really apprectate you taking your time to help me.

tina
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+589) 11 years ago
Hope you enjoyed them. I only do research on those no longer living.

Here are some interesting extras-
Edward R is listed as being unable to read or write in the 1870, 1880, & 1900 censuses. His wife Mary R can read & write.

His father- Wm L Shook was literate as were the older siblings.
Wm L was born In 1829 & died in 1914 Buncombe County, NC from NC death index.

The 1900 census stated Edward R was born July 1860 & Mary was born Dec 1861.

The 1880 census Robeson family you mentioned was listed as
J.W. Robeson 39 farmer, wife Matilda 35, daug Lucy Cola 16, Shook E.R. 19 servant works on farm. (In 1900 census first daug of Edward & Mary Shook is named Cola born April 1883.)

Here is the 1850 Haywood Co- NC census showing William L's parents (Edward R's grandparents)
Shook David 61 $1000 farmer
Sarah 60
Mary 28
Johnathan 34 mechanic
Barbra 26
William 21 farmer
Jacob 19 attended school
Rufus 16 attended school

next door is David's brother Peter 60 $500 farmer
with wife Mahala&family
thank you so much for the added information. i was just getting ready to do a search in north carolina to try and find some additional information, you helped alot with the extra names. do you have ancestry? i really appreciate your help! thank you again
[email protected]
Posted by Ted Briggs-Comstock (+10) 3 years ago
Hi I just joined this forum. My grandmother was married to Robert Shook (known as Burl). They lived in Seattle from about when I was born, 1946, altho the 1940 census shows them in Miles City. My grandmother was married before, to my grandfather. She was Minnie Mae Dibble, known as Mae. My grandfather was Abner Comstock, so she was Comstock before marrying Burl.
The 1940 census lists him as bridge engineer, working for (I think) "Steam railroad" if I read that right.