Seedless Watermelon
Posted by Big Sis (+6) 16 years ago
Okay, so my little bro and i were hanging out in the kitchen just a little bit ago, eating some pretty good tastin seedless watermelon. Seedless watermelon can be really nice if you hate spitting out seeds every 3 seconds. While we were chomping away, a question was posed: "If a person bought a seedless watermelon, started eating it, but then choked on a seed...could they sue?" Well, the question seemed pretty ridiculus to me at first. But then my bro added "then when you bought a seedless watermelon, it'd come with a caution 'may contain seeds'" And i thought: geez, maybe its not such a silly question. After all...Didn't some lady win oodles of money from mcdonalds because she wasn't warned that the coffee would be hot?
Posted by John Wayne (+120) 16 years ago
Delete this logic from your thought processes. Considering such things will only lead to some lawyer finding a reason to justify his education by filing suit. Before you know it we will be paying $29 for a watermelon. Suddenly they will all come with a sticker that says "IMPORTED FROM MEXICO," grown in tainted E-Coli irrigated storm waste runoff. OR, we can always import them from China along with everything else we consume. American growers will be torted right out of the watermelon patch industry.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4458) 16 years ago
Watermelon tastes best when grown in poop. Mmmm, poop.
Posted by Darryl Condit (+45) 16 years ago
Buck, I think you mean beats. Beats that are grown in poo are excellent. Watermelon in poo, thats just silly.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1761) 15 years ago
Check the label on your fruit cocktail. Some of it is coming from South America. Some of it is now coming from China.

That's just plain wrong. America has the worlds best farmers. Some of the most fertile, productive land on Earth, and we're importing fruit cocktail from China!

Wrong. Wrong! WRONG!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4458) 15 years ago
Yeah, but can you grow those nasty marichino cherries in the US?
founder
Buck,

The majority of the worlds Marichino Cherries are grown and processed in Michigan on the Upper Peninsula. I have a friend in the business there.

More food for thought:

When I was a kid, 60's through 70's, The Silicone Valley was covered with orchards and farms. Covered from one end to the other. Now it's subdivisions and strip malls.

When I was a kid, Utah had a huge fresh fruit and canning industry in the area North of Salt Lake City (around Brigham City). That's gone in the same way. Ranchettes, strip malls and subdivisions.

The Salinas Valley was almost all fields raising 2 to 3 crops a year. If you eat lettuce, strawberries, carrots, brocolli, etc., at some point in the year, that's where it comes from. I was there in June and a lot of the fields had been turned into subdivisions. In fact they were running scrapers and dozers around the strawberry field behind my Moms house, making another subdivision.

Montana is no different, the valleys are being chopped into ever smaller ranchettes and trailer courts. The most productive and fertile land is being taken out of production.

Can you blame the farmer who can work his butt off for a living year in and year out, or he can subdivide or sell out and make a small fortune overnight? In turn, we're importing more and more of our food. Importing from places where we have no control over what the food is growing in, what is being sprayed on it, what it's being washed or canned in, and how it's being shipped. Wait 'til the bad guys figure that out. I fully favor country of origin labelling- I don't buy Chinese fruit cocktail!

And one last thing- watermelon really should have seeds!
founder
Not that I mix watermelon and garlic- but to prove my point, check this out. I bought chopped garlic at Albertson's yesterday and returned it today because it was Chinese. I prefer grown in USA.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi...182991.DTL