(Don't) Go Greyhound
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 17 years ago
Greyhound has announced that they are discontinuing bus service between Billings and Fargo. That means no more Greyhound in Miles City.

I think the last time I rode Greyhound was in 1988 and it took me at least 8 hours to get from Miles City to Bozeman. I came out of the experience thinking that crawling on my hands and knees would have been quicker and more desirable.

But seriously, no more rail service, no more bus service, and a very precarious air service that is dependant on government subsidies which the Feds seem to be constantly threatening to cut. This does not bode well for the people in Miles City (and other small communities) for whom private transportation is not an option. That's pretty sad, don't you think?

- Dave
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11885) 17 years ago
It is APPALLING. And we subsidize big airlines for billions of bucks when Amtrak is MUCH cheaper and MUCH more efficient! HELLO, WASHINGTON. I know, I know. Congressman fly first class and have NO CLUE what it is like for us peons. I pay for them to have fast train service between DC and NY but I'm in the boonies so I just better shrivel up and die. Grrrrrrrr.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 17 years ago
As a former resident of Miles City, I can tell you that I'd much rather travel via AmTrack or the "Grey Dog" than get on a "Big Scare" plane.

It's too bad that Greyhound cut off service to all of the smaller towns on the Fargo to Billings route (including Bismarck, Dickinson, Jamestown, and Miles City), but the route must not have been profitable.

The loss is going to hurt the many small towns along the route; the Lone Steer in Steele, ND served an average of 100 meals per day to Greyhound riders.

Hopefully another bus line will fill the void at some point in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 17 years ago
According to today's Bismarck Tribune, it appears that there's a chance that Rimrock Trailways could resume service to Eastern MT and Western ND.

http://www.bismarcktribun.../nws01.txt
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 17 years ago
I think I read the same thing in the Gazette Bob L. That shouldn't be too bad. As far as not riding the Greyhound, I guess I won't, not that the option is available anymore. I'm really suprised that they cut the Miles City stop. I understand the problem with stopping at podunk towns every 15 miles, but I figured Miles City was probably a fairly profitable stop. Maybe not, one think we can be thankful for. Other cities will stop sending us their bums, unfortunately we won't be able to put our bums on buses out of town either. Don't think it doesn't happen frequently.
Posted by Darryl Condit (+53) 17 years ago
Who needs buses to ship bums? Put them in box and mail them to other towns. (if you tell post office people you are mailing books instead of a bum, you can get a discount) Miles City still has postal service, right?
Posted by Brady Stone (+165) 17 years ago
What will we do without GREYHOUND THERAPY? We used to ship our nuts down the road. Every town did.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 17 years ago
I know, we're just going to have a huge collection of outcasts roaming around town. Of course, most of them served our country so the least we can do is ship them somewhere else. They'll have to load up the Bluebird.
Posted by Darryl Condit (+53) 17 years ago
At least miles city provided this "crazy" vets with a service, thats more than a lot of our congressmen are will to do. Denny Rehberg sends our young men and women into a war, says he supports our troops, and then cuts funding for vets. He has voted against every bill that the disable veterans of america considered important. Shame on you Rehberg
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 17 years ago
Ya, I think it severely blows that Greyhound is cutting service here. I was riding it all the time while I was Active Duty Navy (1998-2002). I enjoyed the trip and visited people who was riding.

You also meet some beautiful girls, too.