Fort Keogh, Roe, Miles, Ord, Kelly??
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+473) 13 years ago
I have several papers from Fort Keogh signed by Nelson A. Miles, 2nd Lt. Chas F. Roe, John Tuttcisall, Lt. E.O.C. Ord, and John J. Kelly dated 1879, all from the 2nd cavalry. Does anyone have photos of any of these men?( except for Gen. Miles), or know of where I can access photos? Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14948) 13 years ago
Here is a picture of E.O.C. Ord

Posted by Fred South (+153) 13 years ago
Cheryl, Got your email asking for MC pictures. I have tried to send them , but there is something amiss with your email address. What I sent is returned as undeliverable.

Also went to the MC page and tried to send an email from there and it was returned also.

FS
Richard, Wow! Thank you! Wow!
Fred, Thanks, don't know why. My e-mail address is: [email protected] Thanks for trying!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9888) 13 years ago
founder
supporter
sponsor
NULL
Thank you, Alaska, for the picture of Roe! This is great!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Cheryl,

I tried posting this earlier today with links to a couple photos at the Libarary of Congress . . . something about the links to the photos caused problems with the post. Anyway here is the info without those two links.

A search of the LOC's Prints & Photographs Online Catalog turns up some hits for Edward Otho Cresap Ord.

Go to:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pphome.html

Search for Edward Ord with the option "Match all of these words" and you should see what they have.

A search at NARA's Archival Research Catalog (ARC) also turns up quite a few photos of Ord - some of them appear to be duplicates of what is found at the LOC.

Go to:
http://arcweb.archives.go...search.jsp

Select:
Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies

For "Location", choose "All Locations" - For "Type" choose "Photographs and other Graphic Materials" and search for Edward Ord.

Neither LOC nor NARA seems to have anything for Roe, John Tuttcisall or John J. Kelly. Are you sure on the spelling of Tuttcisall?
Hal, Thanks for the archives website. Couldn't get in it today, but I'm sure I'll spend fun times in there doing research.
The writings and signatures are so fancy, kinda hard to read, and no, It's John Tattersall.(after looking closely) There's more; Lt Col. J.G. Whistler(2nd cavalry).
5th Infantry: Col. Gibson,1st. lt.E. Rice, H. Bailey, S. Snyder, E.P. Elmers, Otis Young.(1887)
18th Infantry: R.F.Bows 1884
These are mostly vouchers and special orders,(some signed by Col. Nelson Miles) I was just hoping to put faces with the signatures and writings. Thanks again for all your help!
Posted by Ellen Compton (+41) 13 years ago
Dear Cheryl:
I would love to have copies of those papers concerning General Miles, etc. because my relative, William Frederick Schmalsle, worked for General Miles. Schmalsle was an Indian guide, Scout, Courier, and buffalo hunter for General Miles and Lieutenant Baldwin. His picture is in General Miles book, drawn by Frederick Remington. I have a lawyers bookcase stuffed full of books, notebooks, and publications on my relatives. Hopefully I will be able to spend a month in Montana next year seeing my relatives and friends.
Sincerely,
Ellen K. Compton (Mrs.)
[email protected]
founder
supporter
Posted by G. Huss (+164) 13 years ago
There is a fairly extensive biography with pictures on Ord at:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/ecoord.htm
Posted by Steve Nitch / General Edmund Rice Collection (+8) 10 years ago
Hi,

You can find pictures of Lt. Edmund Rice of the 5th Infantry on my website www.generaledmundrice.com

General Edmund Rice is my great x3 grandfather. He was stationed at Ft. Keogh for many years with his daughter, Corinne Miles Rice. General Miles was her godfather. Her good friends were Celia Miles and Juanita Baldwin.

I am always looking for information, images and artifacts related to Edmund Rice and the 5th US Infantry.

Thanks,

Steve Nitch
supporter
Posted by Diona Austill (+192) 10 years ago
I work at Fort Keogh now and on our website we have a history section that has some pictures and links for finding people that used to work there. The website is: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/ftkeogh and the link to the history page is on the left. If anyone has anything they think should be added, please email the information to me and I will see if it is appropriate for the site. There is a form under Contact Us that you can use to email me.

Thanks,
Diona Austill
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11731) 10 years ago
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+478) 10 years ago