Your Best Happened-in-a-Car Memory?
Posted by Traci (+157) 14 years ago
The CCDHS school play, The American Car, The American Dream, will be held on Friday, April 4th at 7PM and Saturday, April 5th at 3PM and 7PM. The play explores the hilarious, poignant, musical and tragic moments in our lives as they happen in our cars. We are excited about the variety this play gives the actors and the audience and are convinced that everyone who attends will find a memory in our vignette play by Cynthia Mercati.

To get us in the mood for The American Car, The American Dream, we'd like to know - what memories have happened in your cars?
Posted by ABC (+383) 14 years ago
Unfortunately, my best happened-in-a-car moment would be too vulgar for the milecity.com crowd. Oh well.

ABC
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 14 years ago
I'm not sure this is a good question to be asking people, men especially, that grew up in Miles City in the 60's 70's and 80's.

Maybe on the list would be going to the drive inn movie in my pj's with my family on a nice summer night. Or perhaps dragging main street with a car full of friends while drinking Lucky Draft beer out of the bottle, honking at every other car full of beer drinking friends.

But despite how hard I search the old memory banks making out at spotted eagle or the pumping plant still has to be number one on my list.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1228) 14 years ago
How about, I went to a dance with my Dad but came home with my Mom.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 14 years ago
One winter night my friend and I took his car, jumped the logs by the skating pong(later the tennis court by the Tongue) and spent some time spinning cookies on the ice and drinking Lucky! Great memories. The rest of the memories of time in that car are too special to share!

[This message has been edited by Kacey (edited 3/14/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 14 years ago
How about, I went to a dance with my Dad but came home with my Mom.

------------------

Ike, old buddy, old pal...

You should be telling stories about the best time you had in a horse & buggy!
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+897) 14 years ago
If I think back, most of my favorite memories that happened in cars, does not involve "making out"... Although everyone has had those fond memories... My favorite thoughts of driving around in my car always involves a group of friends, and some rediculous song that we seem to be screaming at the top of our lungs...while putting hundreds of miles on it, driving up and down main st. Miles City...ok, there might have been a few bottles of boones farm wine consumed as well!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3857) 14 years ago
Drive-in movies on summer nights, cruzin' the DQ, drag racing from light to light, glass packs, fuzzy dice and on and on and on and on.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+251) 14 years ago
On some trestle that crosses the Tongue River, I have my most vivid HS memory from Custer County High School. We lowered the pressure on the tires after positioning the vehicle on the tracks (this was sometime in the spring of 1966)and I think it was somewhere out near the airport, but not sure.

We had left either Harmony Hangout (now I guess for oldsters) or maybe the EAgle. We really had not been drinking.

We intended to just slide across the Tongue on the trestle. We found we were not moving and knew sort of that the train would be coming through soon. So we (4 of us) got the tire jack out and start jacking the car up and then shoving it to get it off the track. That took about two hours....I told my parents when I got home at 4 a.m. that we had tire trouble.....They thought I was with another family friend from Wolf Point ...not the guy they despised (Forgive me dear friend, who I think still lives in Miles City) ..Tire trouble passed parental inspection that time...
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1228) 14 years ago
Bob L. Just noticed your post. Don't know about the buggy but can tell by you'r post you are familar with horses,especially the part by the tail. Ike
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 14 years ago
I had a whole lot of fun my sophomore year in my Aunt Jane's '79 Mercury Cougar with the 400 cubic inch V8, much to the dismay of the neighborhood, local police, and my parents. Luckily I never did any more damage than beating the last bit of life out of the old Cougar and caving in the door to Brian Reed's car.

Some of the more memorable incidents were the time I hit the 1-way bridge over the tongue river at 75 mph and caught air off of the little ramp at the start. I came down hard enough to dent my gas tank and then nearly crashed into the back of a tractor pulling a tool-bar on the far end of the bridge. Or the time I got a note in gym class telling me to report to the police station immediately so a police officer could yell at me about my driving. There was also a time I drove 3 neighborhood girls to the football game on Friday night and then found out on Monday that 2 of them had been forbidden to ride with me by their parents after they told them about my driving.

Amazingly, I left high school with a completely clean driving record, although I did take a 30 day license suspension to avoid getting a speeding ticket on my record once, and avoided a careless driving ticket over the fender-bender with Brian because the cop didn't show up to the hearing. The police knew about my wilder infractions, but never seemed to be around to catch me when they were happening.
Posted by Bobbi (+101) 14 years ago
Dragging Main in my brand new 1974 Monte Carlo with my bestest buddy Terry Lynn and doing chinese fire drills. The car was a graduation gift from my parents and I am proud to say I still own the car, only now it has dual exhaust and a suped up motor that would have gotten me in lots of trouble back then.
Posted by Traci (+157) 14 years ago
March snow storms bring April Flowers?

Just a reminder the play is soon! Friday the 4th at 7pm and Saturday the 5th at 3pm and 7pm.

We promise there is something for everyone! I actually laughed so hard the other night at rehearsal I had to sit down on the floor. And 1 scene has made me cry EVERY time we have rehearsed it. Don't be the one that says, "Sorry I missed it"

The people on here are usually well-educated, artistic and fun.

My car memory is driving to Seattle with my husband during the 8th month of my first pregnancy and having to stop at a toilet every hour or so. It took forever. We usually make good time when driving. It was new information for both of us, but he was a good sport.

We still could use some road signs for the set. Anyone care to donate?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 14 years ago
Where is Chris?? ... she should have a lot of "it happened in a T-Bird" stories!

Spinning cookies with Dan Herzog in the Tempo parking lot on our way home from FFA meetings was one of my favorite times in a car.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 3/29/2008).]
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+251) 14 years ago
Break a leg on your upcoming production....

One other good memory of a car when I was at Custer County High School in the 1960s was the red T-Bird that Marsha McLean could often borrow and use to drive around her friends, which included her cousin Barb Brown, Carol Hiers, others, and myself, then known as Maryann Mahoney. We have all sort of scattered but sometimes reconnect at reunions.
Posted by Chris Choate Raible (+35) 14 years ago
There are so many fun memories to share from driving the Thunderbirds around Miles City Richard, how could I narrow it down to one story? I just know I logged a lot of miles in that town and spent a lot on gas billed to my dad at the Beacon.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9469) 14 years ago
So a mutual aquaintence of mine and deer_slayer's (let's call him Maddog) found this dead cat out at my parents place during the spring thaw of '93, and we thought it would be funny if we took the cat to drag main with us that night.

I got to borrow (and I shudder to type this) my mother's Aerostar, because we figured we'd have more than the three people that my Ranger would hold. We strapped the cat to the grill and proceeded to drive with it up and down main.

Reactions where mixed - Carrie K. freaked out because she thought it was her cat: "Boots! Boots! Oh my God! It's my Boots!" But she was pretty drunk at the time and calmed down once we pointed out that this cat didn't have any eyes left and therefore had been dead for quite a while.

We drove around with that cat right up until one of the Ronnings pulled up in that big brown truck of his and told us that someone had called the cops and they were looking for the red Ford Aerostar with the dead cat tied to the front; so we dumped it in the Motel 6 parking lot.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (edited 3/30/2008).]
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 14 years ago
That could have been a Cat-tastrophe!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 14 years ago
Chris... just checking to see if you were still casting a shadow.

Bob: I think shortly after this incident they came out with the Ford feline. It came standard with Cooper catspaw tires and a unique calico paint job.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 3/30/2008).]
Posted by Elizabeth Stewart (+24) 14 years ago
Hmmm my best happened in a car memory would have to be when i stole an ex's car (just playin around) and in the process i ran over his foot.. took the car for a joyride around the block.. his food was fine and he was only mad for a minute..

Dont forget about the play this weekend!!!!!
Friday @ 7 and Saturday @ 3 and 7
Posted by TK (+1624) 14 years ago
When my sister and I were growing up in Glendive, it was always a special treat in the summer time when mom and dad would say "let's go for a drive" (we lived 5 miles out of town), and we'd drive around awhile, then go to DQ to get ice cream cones, drive around a little more, and then go home and go to bed. I miss those days. . .
ahh the good days when the rents would take us out on special trips.. i loved it when my dad would take me and my sisters out to go fishing or just out for a drive.. i miss that kinda of stuff just the 4 of us drinking pop and talking..
supporter
I forgot to mention my most notable car exploit, although it's definitely not one of my "best" memories. Heading out Leighton on homecoming night in an 87ish chevy celebrity station wagon and crashing into a herd of horses that were out on the road. I don't know how many there were all together but in my one flashbulb memory of the incident it seems like there were 6 or 8. We killed 3 of them, and made the car look like something out of a horror movie. I broke my nose on the one that landed on the driver's side roof and Luke and I both got 30+ stitches on our faces. Could have been a lot worse since neither of us were wearing seat belts. My coat was covered with horse hair and my cowboy hat wound up in the back with bloodstains in the liner and just sparkling with itty bitty pieces of glass. Amazingly the Miles City Saddlery cleaned it up just like new except for the bloodstained liner. Still have the hat and it still has the stains inside hehe. I think part of the reason I got a B in chemistry that semester was that Mr. Brubaker felt sorry for me getting in that wreck, and I remember having a drunk driving assembly later in the year when they showed us a car that a drunk driver smashed up and everyone telling me that they should have used our car (even though we weren't drinking) cause it looked so much worse than the one they had .
my first car accident i had my licence for maybe 48 hours and i was taking my sister to a friends house and i side swipted a truck. i put $1050 worth of damage in this guys pick-up... i pull over and the cops got there i was hyperventalating and scared poopless that my dad was going to kill me..so scary.. i was so scared that my dad was going to be mad that i actually asked the cop to take me to jail..
funny thing well its funny now that 2 days later my dad and i were in the bank drive through and some lady backed into us.. totaled the car.
Posted by Bradley (+16) 14 years ago
My parnets took my best friend Vanessa and I to billings and we sat in the back of our van holding up signs that read "NICE CAR", "GET OFF THE ROAD" and "SAVE THE MONKEYS!!" as we passed cars. Totally stupid but we found it very ammsuing and still do today HEY MILES CITY-

Are you looking for laughs?
Are you looking for drama (theatrical drama)
Are you looking to have a good time?

COME TO THE "AMERICAN CAR-THE AMERICAN DREAM" showing Friday at 7pm, and Saturday at 3 and 7pm!!! Tickets are 5 dollars at the High School Auditorium.

Get ready for comedy, sadness, and everything in between!!
Posted by Bradley (+16) 14 years ago
Just a quick reminder- The American Car- The American Dream is tonight at 7pm at the High School Aud. There are also shows at 3pm and 7pm tomorrow (Saturday the 5th). See ya there!!
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+400) 14 years ago
Did I ever tell you about when I backed Daryll South's brand new car into Spotted Eagle. Oh yeah, that is another thread.

I remember dragging Main in my dad's car and he would check the mileage and yell at me.

I remember dragging Main in Karen Leidholts' 56 Chevy. I loved that car.

Anyone remember driving through the underpass when it had lots of water in it and wondering if you were going to make it. Does it still get deep when it rains?
Posted by MollieP (+138) 14 years ago
yes the water still gets that deep....there was even a pic some time ago of someone who didn't make it and their car was floating LOL
supporter
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 14 years ago
Since so much of my life has been in a car it would require a novel to answer the question. There is no single memory that I rank above the others, but there are many, many memories and events that happened in the front seat, the back seat, on the running boards, the roof, on the hood, under the hood, under the car, and in the trunk. I'm not talking about sex.

There were good times and bad.