So, how icy is it?
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+932) 14 years ago
It's so icy that I saw a hockey game being played on the sidewalk in front of a guy's house. Not kidding.
Posted by Scott (+261) 14 years ago
Well, I checked the road report and it was actually kind of amusing. It said that I 94 from Billings to MC was dry. I am supposed to go to Billings today and I know from looking outside that it isnt dry here.
Posted by Outta City County Resident (+11) 14 years ago
The MDT site shows emergency traffic about half-way between Miles City & Forsyth, Miles City & Terry, Miles City & Jordan & Miles City & Broadus. It was just updated about 8:36 a.m. Looks like after you get thru that it's dry to Billings.
Posted by Scott (+261) 14 years ago
Thats funny because when I looked at it, it also said "wet" the whole way and was supposedly updated at 7 a.m. I will have to check it out again.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 2/16/2008).]
Posted by Raven (+7) 14 years ago
http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/

this site will give you all the info you need for travel.
Posted by mule deer hunter (+35) 14 years ago
To get the best road report call 511. It will help you in your traveling questions.
Posted by Heather Mowry (Darling) (+36) 14 years ago
This has nothing to do with how the roads are there, but I thought I knew Icy growing up in Montana, especially the plains. Oh no, my husband (Dan) and I discovered that Iowa gets really, really bad ice storms. You can't even get out of your house sometimes and for a city of 1/2 a million it shuts down to a stand still when this happens. This winter has been the worst we have seen since we moved here in '01, and we still have ice covered side roads for two weeks now. It has been below zero for at least two weeks consistently. Hal, now we know how Alaskians feel!!!!!!!

Stay warm everyone!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10031) 14 years ago
Posted by Linda L. (+80) 14 years ago
I have to travel quite a bit for my job, so I thought I'd add my two pennies' worth here.

Regarding the online road report: That is only good if/when someone from the road department actually goes out and checks. What I was told by a Highway Patrolman is this: the road department goes out first thing in the a.m., but doesn't often report the conditions for three or four hours. So what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

Regarding the 511 call: IT SUCKS!! I tried to get road specific info on that and spent 30 minutes pushing buttons, without getting any info whatsoever about the highway I would be on most!

So, left to our own devices, it's still best just to look out the window (or step out on your own porch) and go with your gut when it comes to winter travel in Montana.
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+264) 14 years ago
With respect to the poster above, as she is only repeating what she was told...
My husband works for the Highway Department and since he is currently on the "Road Report Shift", I know he goes to work at 4am and and phones the report in at 6am. I also know that this particular Highway Department is responsible for phoning in the morning road report for 350+ miles of road each morning, and all those roads have to be driven over in order to be reported on.