Courtland Dennis Gaer passed away
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+465) 12 years ago
Courtland Dennis Gaer, son of C.K. Gaer and Evelyn V. Gaer formerly of Miles City, paased away January 20th, 2008, in San Diego, California. He was 65 years old. He is survived by his sister, Cheryl Barlow, of Colorado and New Mexico, his nephew, Andre Zottolo, of Minnesota, and neice, Gina Gillespie of California and Arizona.
Dennis worked in the oil fields of Montana, served honorably in the U.S. Navy, and began his career as a designer/draftsman for prestigious architectual firms in the San Diego area. Following this, his lifelong career was as a mechanical engineer.
He was an artist, craftsman, metal fabricator; loved camping, backpacking, deep sea diving,photography, and had a lifelong fondness for sports cars.
He was a true gentleman, speaking ill of no one, standing behind his words,had a rich, dry humor, treated everyone with dignity and respect. He will be missed.
Posted by Gene Keller (+49) 12 years ago
Cheryl, Sorry to hear of your loss. I remember Dennis well from back in the day when we were all alot younger and growing up in Miles City. Good days. He will be missed. Take care.
Thank you, Gene, That means a lot to me. Best to you and your wife. Cheryl
Posted by Garryn Tvedt (+126) 12 years ago
Hi Cheryl -
I'm so sorry for your loss. I am your cousin Kathi's daughter and remember meeting Dennis (and you for that matter) at the renunion at your house in - what was that 1999? I know mom, Gramma Kochel, Jan and the rest of the family enjoyed having him when he made his recent trek out and around this last summer. I think that was really cool that he was able to hop in his motor home and just go!
Anyway, wanted to send my condolences. -
Take care - gt
Thank you Garryn! - You're a sweetheart! I know it was hard for him to make the trip as the cancer had a grip on him. He spent most of the summer in Colorado with us, but I'm glad he got to say goodbye to people he loved in Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas.
There's one childhood friend of his I was not able to contact about Dennis. His name is David Ewalt and he lives in Miles City. If you or anyone reading this can tell him, I would be deeply grateful.
Garryn, look up my daughter's website at gigiskin.com, because I know you didn't get to meet her.
Too bad we all live so far away from each other! Anyway, thank you for remembering him.
Posted by Robin (+75) 12 years ago
Hi Cheryl,

This is Robin Kiel and David Ewalt is my dad. He does know about Dennis passing. We are sorry for your loss. If you want Mom and Dad's number or want to e-mail me your number, let me know.
Robin, thanks, but it's all right. I just wanted your dad to know. Thank you.
[This message has been edited by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (edited 2/8/2008).]
Posted by vjoan (+12) 12 years ago
Cheryl sorry to hear about your brother.My prayers to you. VJ hobbs.
Thank you. Verna? Is that you?
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+215) 12 years ago
Cheryl,
So sorry to hear of your brother's passing. It's times like these that bring us closer to friends and family. In reading your brother's obituary i see that he lived a good life. I'll be thinking of you in your time of sorrow.
Thank you Rick, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness!
Posted by Ellen Garthofner Ruane (+13) 12 years ago
Cheryl,

I am Barry Garthofner's little sister, Ellen. I know you don't remember me but I went to your wedding in San Diego and remember you, your parents and brother and your cousins too, the Andersons. Barry lost touch with Dennis but of all his old friends, Dennis was the one he wanted to find again. We looked but had no luck.

I'm so sorry to hear of Dennis' passing, he was too young but it sounds like he had a good life. Barry passed away in Sept., 2007 at 64. He had a good life too, just too short. I know how hard it is to lose a special brother. I am so sorry for your loss.
Ellen Garthofner Ruane, Vancouver, Canada
Ellen, Thank you for your post. I remember Barry very well and am so sorry for your loss. I used to ride on the back of his motorcycle, all over San Diego. He was a wonderful man.
I asked Dennis last year, who he would like to see again, and Barry's name came up. I imagine they are both having a wonderful time on the "other side".
Posted by Ellen Garthofner Ruane (+13) 11 years ago
Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, I hope they are! Ellen