Posted by Elizabeth Stewart (+24) 14 years ago
Alright, I am a HUGE coffee fan. i seriously cant start my day with out it. I have tried the coffee from all the coffee shops in town. They are all great, but I still can't help but think that we need a starbucks in the great city of miles. I know there alot of coffee shops here, but i do think there is room for one more..billings is the closest place that has a starbucks.. just a thought... doubt that there will ever be a starbucks, but isnt that what people said about getting a Wal*mart? well you coffee lovers out there some feed back..
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10021) 14 years ago
Living in the Northwest since 1992, in an area which helped spawn the espresso phenomena and having been personally to the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market, I can safely say that Starbucks is really not that great anymore. It's more like the McDonald's of lattes. I assume that Kafe Utza (http://www.kafeutza.com/) has much better coffee beverages.
Posted by Tony Ackerman (+191) 14 years ago
Agreed. IMO Starbucks tends to over roast their beans and their coffee just isn't that great.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 14 years ago
There are two Starbuck's here in Gillette. McDonald's coffee is SUPERIOR to Starbucks and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Posted by Tammy (+71) 14 years ago
Starbucks French Roast is my favorite!! I know Miles City maybe to small for a franchise, but you can buy it at Target or WalMart.
Posted by BLT (+81) 14 years ago
French Roast or expresso usual are your worst coffee beans. They roast them burned almost. Tastes like it as well. Starbucks is to coffee is what Mcdonalds is to hamburger. Maybe the most but not the best.
Posted by Tracy (+52) 14 years ago
I used to get the Tazoberry icey from Starbucks, then they stopped having them. I actually prefered Seattle Espresso for coffee drinks. I agree that Starbucks coffe was overly roasted and had a really bitter taste. I find that Cafe'Utsa and Brewster's coffee is great.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 14 years ago
As with most things in business it's the smaller, less well-known outfits that usually are the better ones IMHO. The reasons are numerous but chief among them are the fact that because they're smaller they make them in smaller batches and thus have better quality control over the end product.

I don't drink as much coffee as I used to but on a cold day I like nothing better than kicking back with a pot of Starbucks Christmas blend and playing some pc or video games. Memories of youth........
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+481) 14 years ago
I love coffee. And there are a lot of coffee places around Bozeman where I live. But one of my favorite things about visiting Miles City is hitting Kafe' Utza. Preferably more than once on a trip. And not just for the coffee. It has the atmosphere.
Posted by Scot (+46) 14 years ago
I want a Caribou Coffee place, Not starbucks. Caribou is far Better.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 14 years ago
In my humble 'coffee' opinion (having owned a coffee roasting business and roasting my own coffee), nothing beats small batch roasted coffee. Much better flavor. It's not easy to roast properly and doing it 1000 pounds at a time just doesn't cut it. I never thought there would be a difference until I bought the store. And if you've never had french or espresso from a small roaster, you're missing out.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3857) 14 years ago
Kafe Utza roasts fresh every day. YUMMMMMmmmmm. The pastries are lovingly hand crafted every morning. Nothing beats a double Americano with a warm orange roll and black diamond fudge at Utza.
Posted by Tony Ackerman (+191) 14 years ago
Drools...
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 14 years ago
My friend down (here visiting) in Colorado roasts his own using basic household equipment. I'm filming him while down here and I'll put together a little short.

I drink coffee... occasionally. Let me tell you there is a HUGE difference between fresh small batch and charbucks.

We did some comparison the other day. His coffee is is mild and extremely rich in flavor. The comparison coffee was bitter in contrast, and very acidic.

Stu buys green coffee beans and blends them himself. When in Miles City, he doesn't miss Kafe Utza.

Well, I hear the coffee grinder running.` I need to close before I drool over the laptop!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18207) 14 years ago
Eric, come back please, the Miles City webcam is broken. We need you to fix it.

- Dave
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1796) 14 years ago
Not that anyone asked me but, personally, I prefer to drink "Tweek Coffee"...Sure, we may take a little longer to brew a cup, and we may not call it fancy names, but I guess we just care a little more. And that's why Tweek Coffee is still home-brewed from the finest beans we can muster. Yes, Tweek Coffee is a simpler cup, for a simpler America...and it's quite special...uh very special. Special, like an Arizona sunrise or a juniper wet with dew. A light rain in the middle of a dusty afternoon or a hug from your dear old aunt...UGH!! The metaphors, man!

Okay, NAME THAT SHOW!...sorry, all of this coffee talk just made my mind wander to that...OH, speaking of which, name THIS show:

Welcome to "Coffee Tawk", I'm your host, Linda Richmond...oh, now I'm getting all vuhclempt!...I'll be alright, gimme a minute...talk among yourselves...I'll give you a topic...the chick pea was niether a chick, nor a pea, DISCUSS...okay, now I feel better.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 14 years ago
South Park
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 14 years ago
As somebody who usually drinks the dishwater Folgers that they have at work here, I'm not one to comment on the coffee, but I can say that Cafe Utza's pastries blow Starbucks out of the water. It's not even close. You have to get there early though, sadly on my last trip through MC I stopped in around 11:00 and they were out of most things, including the orange rolls.
Posted by ABC (+383) 14 years ago
Mike Myers on Saturday Night Live did Linda Richmond, I believe.

ABC
Posted by Kylie (+26) 14 years ago
Not that it matters to some but has anyone mentioned that they do NOT support the war? They refused to send coffee for the troops. Not very nice I would say.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18207) 14 years ago
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 14 years ago
Kylie,

It seems Starbucks "not supporting the war" is a rumor. Even if it were true, what's wrong with them making a statement as a corporation that they oppose the waste of time, money, and life in Iraq.

Opposing the war does not mean they oppose our troops and their efforts, after all we all know the troops are doing their duty, whether they agree with their orders, or not.

I think we all appreciate and respect our troops. The question is, wouldn't they be better off being home having that cup of java?

As for having a Starbucks here? Not going to happen and we really don't need one. Kafe Utza is truly wonderful, and it's not just the coffee and pastries- it's the people that make it that way.

If Kafe Utza isn't your cup of Joe, try Brewster's on Haynes Avenue. They brew Thomas Hammer coffee; it's comparable to Starbucks and the Schmidt's are very nice, too.

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 2/5/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Nancy (+290) 14 years ago
Starbucks has good coffee, which is obvious since it has successful stores all over the nation. It's attraction is the same as the other chains, nice consistent product and atmosphere, drive-thru window, quick service, and good long hours. A coffee shop like Cafe Utza with individuality and character always beats a Starbucks. I go to Starbucks because I always have gift cards and it's convenient. Today I had a fantastic Skinny Cinnamon Dulce latte! If they don't have it, tell Utza to put it on the menu!
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 14 years ago
David,
Of course the webcam is broken. It breaks every time I leave town!

Sorry I didn't notice this until today. I'll try to work on it remotely tomorrow. You'll have to wait until I have a few cups of delicious home-roasted coffee though.

Eric
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 14 years ago
...hurry - I'm about to go into the light due to withdrawals.