Olive Hotel
founder
Posted by Laura K. Jones (+22) 20 years ago
Hi!
My name is Laura Jones and I live in Corvallis, Oregon. I was born in Miles City in 1936 and left in 1940. I am currently writing an historical novel which is set in North Dakota and Miles City in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I am wondering if someone can tell me when the Olive Hotel opened. I have lots of historical background information about Miles City but I can't seem to find that date anywhere.
Thanks for your help.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
I did a web site search, and found the following reference in a family biography:

"The teachers at the turn of the century lived at the old Leighton Hotel, now the Olive. There they had their dinners and it was very special when Sam Hotchkiss shared his New England oysters with them. They wore dust ruffles and ironed their hankies on the windowpane. Teachers ate their lunch with the Aldersons down on the corner of Palmer and 11th Streets. For a Sunday excursion they walked to the river."

So, if correct, the Olive used to be called the Leighton Hotel. Perhaps Amorette or someone can offer more info.

Regards, Larry
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
Leighton was built in, I believe, 1898, although I'd have to check that date at the office. It was less than half the size of the current hotel. Around 1901/02 (again, I'm at home) the name was changed to the Olive and the addition was built. I can get the details next time I'm in the office, on Tuesday. There were lots of other hotels in Miles City at that time but the Leighton was the most "posh" in its time. Earlier, the MacQueen House was THE hotel. The Olive reigned for many, many years at THE hotel. It is the last downtown old hotel still in operation. Any details, just ask!

Amorette the Historic Preservation Officer
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
Well, I was almost right. Construction of the Hotel Leighton began in 1898. The Hotel opened in 1899. Addition and the name change came in 1908.

I should get some photos up in the gallery.

Any further questions just let me know.

--Amorette