Can Bobby Hauck?
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1889) 14 years ago
The other day in the Gazette Joe Kusek noted that Coach Kramer of the Bobcats was out helping on the family farm while Bobby Hauck was out recruiting. In the Missoulian on the editorial page there has been both a lot of support for Hauck and calls for his head. Do you think it's fair Kramer was canned and Hauck wasn't? I personally think the Cats did the right thing - changes had to be made. I'm not so sure about what the Griz should do. What do the people of milescity.com think.

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (edited 1/5/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 14 years ago
Fire him - he's a bum, he might as well have missed that last kick himself. Bum!
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1593) 14 years ago
I agree Buck, his resume should read- brother of a pro-football player and a special teams guy. Fire him and hire Van Diest. Why, because MSU was to stupid to hire Van Diest.
Posted by Don Wagner (+37) 14 years ago
Remember, those thugs came calling U of M not the other way around!!

The thugs were released from the team and now face some serious jail time!! Unlike the M.C.F.R Chief, who got off SCOT FREE!! for choking out the sanitarian. Always knew the Chief had a temper(can attest to it!) but then again the elected officials turned a blind eye!!!
GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember, those thugs came calling U of M not the other way around!!

The thugs were released from the team and now face some serious jail time!! Unlike the M.C.F.R Chief, who got off SCOT FREE!! for choking out the sanitarian. Always knew the Chief had a temper(can attest to it!) but then again the elected officials turned a blind eye!!!
GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
supporter
I don't really think the thugs came calling. Thugs don't know there is such a thing as Montana and no one wants to take any responsibility when the guy with a shady past knows how to play good ball. Anyway, Hauck's record is becoming the issue. It's a team that shouldn't fall apart at home - they'd win that many games in the conference with Joe Blow calling the plays. But none of that matters very quickly - like play-off home game quickly.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+410) 14 years ago
The difference is that the Grizzly offenders were current team members. The Cat offenders, other than one, were all ex Bobcats. Not a college coach in this country that could live up to that standard. Once a player leaves the program, the coaches babysitting duties are over. I guess the high school coach of Barry Bonds should be fired?
Granted, Kramer did recruit guys with previous police records, but once they are no longer on his team, his responsibility is over.
Don't get me wrong. I am not a Kramer fan. I can't trust anybody that could sell a dirty ashtray to a non-smoker, and Kramer is the best salesman I have ever met. I just can't tell if I am hearing truth, or just another sales pitch. But if he is to blame for these problems, then the administration is just as much to blame. After all, they were ex students too.
And Stone? MSU would have hired Van Deist. He pulled his name from the hat after his interview. I don't think MSU is stupid because he walked away. He decided that his family would be happier at Carroll. In hind sight, he made the right call, but you can't hang that on MSU.
supporter
Ya thats one side of the story that I am hearing from alums but there is another story going around that he pulled his name after MSU jerked his chain. Either way Hauk is still a puke.
That's right, just keep thinking that "THUGS" don't know where Montana is! Those Thugs came from 2 yr schools, with the exception of a couple of them. Montana is getting slammed with Gang Bangers and soon they WILL be coming to M.C. and recruiting the youth with big dreams of easy money and bling if they run their drugs. Don't be a N.I.M.B.Y.

Coach Hauck is the best thing to happen to the program since Coach Reed!
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+443) 14 years ago
I looked at this thread and I thought, Can Bobby Hauck?......Can Bobby Hauck what? Dance? Cook Italian? Stick his big toe in his ear? Then I read the thread. Oh us poor flat thinkers. Oh Oh I came up with one, Can Bobby Hauck exhibit class as a head coach? A resounding no. Er maybe he can, but he hasn't yet.
supporter
Jeez H. Don, you're really a confused guy. You should come with me to Missoula - we'll show up and be on the team together!

Honestly, I just don't understand the logic - they come from 2 year schools?

Get your crosses and gasoline ready... I guess.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 1/7/2008).]
supporter
Don, I'm just sitting her sipen on my Gin and juice. Thugs??

I've personally met Bobby Hauk and he is the most egotistically, self-absorbed, overrated coach on the face of the earth. I use the term coach lightly- I mean special teams guru. He is like a spoiled little brat that has inherited his daddy's fortune and is hanging on to it by the skin of his THUGNESS.
supporter
Okay - I looked up NIMBY.

Nimby is someone who wants to keep dangerous things out of their neighborhood. I guess the way you do that is to support Bobby Hauck?
Stone - MSU was preparing to offer Van Deist considerably more money than he was making at Carroll College, a pretty large step up the career coaching ladder, and handing him a pretty fair team to start things off with. If that is jerking his chain, I hope somebody steps up soon to jerk the hell out of my chain. Don't get me wrong. I am so far perfectly happy with Rob Ash as head football coach at MSU, I just think you are mistakenly blaming MSU for Van Deist not being here. And trust me, I live in Bozeman, attended MSU for a time, and support the Bobcats, but I hope to never drink the kool-aid and be completely blind to the indiscretions of the local school.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+142) 14 years ago
I think UM should keep Hauck for years and years. It definitely benefits the Bobcats!
Posted by Tyler R (+59) 14 years ago
Let's see here, in the past five years with Bobby the Griz have gone for a record of 52-14, making the post season every year while the Cats have gone for 34-25. Yeah I agree they should keep Bobby for a few more years!!

By the way Don, I am pretty sure that Chief Rodgers went to court and had a JURY trial and that he was Aquitted of any wrong doing by the jury. And I am also sure that they brought in more people for jury selection than normal to ensure that the jury pool WASN'T bias due to the high profiles of both men involved. Also I believe that the Sanatarian had to read from his notes just to keep his story straight.

GO GRIZ!!!
About Mr. Rogers and the sanitarian,

Good thing Jim had his notes and read from them because it did not happen if it was not written down.

And yes GO GRIZ!!!!!!
Posted by Dan (+459) 14 years ago
HUGE difference between documentation and a script...what the heck does this have to do with Hauck anyhow?
Anytime I talked to Kramer I felt like I was talking to a con-man, he'll tell you whatever he thought you wanted to hear. When he was in the company of his young men rather than behaving like an adult in a leadership role he tried to be "one of the guys", pretty pathetic seeing a 40 some year old acting like he's 18. There is a reason Kramer was able to recruit these impact players from JC's - they were still available because other coaches/programs were leary of the academic/behovior baggage they carried. Kramer also had some very questionable members on his coaching staff. I dont think he was persecuted, when you recruit people of questionable bahavior this is the end result. I am not a Hauck fan by any means - but I think comparing him to Kramer is apples to oranges.
supporter
Add Dan to the list of total suckers. Seriously, apples to oranges? Because Kramer's players committed murder and Hauck's only attempted it? What is it? There is no logic, I don't know why you need to stand behind this guy, the team can win without him. I know Griz fans are completely fanatical to the point of blindness, but really, how is it different?
Hauck is an a**hole instead of a good ol' boy?

"There is a reason Kramer was able to recruit these impact players from JC's - they were still available because other coaches/programs were leary of the academic/behovior baggage they carried."

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! My head is going to explode - how is this different than Hauck, how, how, HOW?

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 1/10/2008).]
Posted by Dan (+459) 14 years ago
I guess to me the difference is this - some say Hauck is an #*@hole, from what little I know of him I agree. I can tolerate an #*&hole. Kramer, from what little exposure I had to him, is a slick con-man. Personally, I cannot stand that kind of personality.
I wouldnt be opposed to the Griz getting rid of Hauck, I just feel the Griz have had a better run program (and yes they have had some bad apples as well) than the Cats under Kramer.
supporter
Okay, I'll give you that.

Now it's down to Don, but he's hopeless - I don't know, maybe his plan to keep all the thugs at UM will prevent them from showing up in his back yard.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 1/10/2008).]
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+48) 14 years ago
Mike Kramer is a good man and a darn good coach.

Bobby Hauck is a good man and a darn good coach.

Having said that, Kramer should not have been fired, and when you see the settlement that his Attorney Cliff Edwards will get for him from MSU, my statement will be validated.

No coach at this level (or any other) can be responsible for 100+ athletes 24/7. If every coach was fired when a player gets into trouble, who would get in to coaching, and who would not get fired?
Hell, look at the "big time" schools, our programs look like Sunday School compared to them.

Bottom line, 98% of the kids from both schools are super people.

(How many parents get a 98% success rate?)

By the way, how many of us have coached at 1AA? We have no idea of the complexity of Bobby Haucks job. Let me say that again, NO IDEA!

As for Coach Hauck, all he has done is what was asked of him, WIN!

Go Cat's
Go Griz
Go Montana

Bruce Wilson
Whether or not Kramer gets a big settlement is probably a bigger indication of his attorney's proficiency than the validity of his case. As for Hauck - he has a great winning record but typical Griz fans expect more. They expect championships, and frequently.
Whether or not Kramer gets a big settlement is probably a bigger indication of his attorney's proficiency than the validity of his case. As for Hauck - he has a great winning record but typical Griz fans expect more. They expect championships, and frequently.
Mr. Bob

A. The case won't go to court, MSU knows they can't win and will be happy to settle out of court. The President and AD are the ones that should have been fired.

B. All fans at every level want Championships, on a frequent basis, and that is not possible.

C. No Bob, life is not fair.
supporter
How 'bout a playoff win? Life is really unfair.
Right back at you about life not being fair, Bruce. Besides that - doesn't a school have the option of not renewing a coach's contract?

And no. Most college teams don't expect frequent titles. If you don't think it's different in Griz land then you don't know what you're talking about. Expectations are quite different in Missoula and elsewhere in griz land. If Hauck's record wasn't as good as it is, I'd be willing to bet his player's recent transgressions would have been enough to oust him. I'm also willing to bet if he doesn't go deeper into the playoffs, and soon, he'll be gone. I don't think that's fair but that's the way it is. College athletics are the last place one should expect to find fairness. You're right. Life isn't fair.

Also, I said griz fans EXPECT championships. There's a big difference between wanting and expecting frequent championships. Chicago Cubs fans want championships but they sure as heck don't expect them. Especially frequently. Contrast that with Yankees fans.
Got it?

And also. Go Bobcats!!!

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (edited 1/10/2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (edited 1/10/2008).]
Posted by Chuck South Jr (+16) 14 years ago
I am a true GRIZZ fan but I can no longer stand to watch Bobby boy take the program down hill, yes they do WIN!! but who could not beat up on the non confrence teams they have been playing lately, he is running that program into the dirt, HE NEEDS TO GO!!!!
It looks like he had a good recruiting class this year, Chuck.
Posted by mule train (+1052) 14 years ago
cAN bOBBY?????noPE...yEP...sHOOT TO THRILL...sHOOT YOU DOWN!!!!! sHOOT YOU DOWN....aCdC...SHOOT YOU7 DOWNshoot to thril GRIZ WIN AGAIN!!!!!!!! '08
Mr.South,
I could not agree more. Why in the hell should we have to put up with a coach who has a piteous 24-5 record in the Big Sky?
B.R.Wilson
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+48) 12 years ago
Nice win today Coach Hauck, pretty good season too!!

[This message has been edited by Bruce Wilson (11/28/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1913) 12 years ago
But he's still a douche-bag.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1791) 12 years ago
Yes, Bob, but a douche bag with a 78-16 career record. Hate him if you want to, but you can't argue results...

...but if it makes you feel any better, the DB will probably be plucked-away by a bigger school this offseason. Griz can't keep him forever.
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+48) 12 years ago
A real class post Mr. Netherton, and predictable also! Go Griz!