Is this going too far?
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 14 years ago
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1388) 14 years ago
That is completely overboard. I wonder if next we can get pedicures and cappucinos from the police after we are stopped too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that some infringement? Isn't it only if we are arrested that we have to be printed.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 14 years ago
I have no idea of the law, but I didnt realize that they could do this. Maybe I am naive. but if a police officer asks you to do this, I think most people would comply without a question.
supporter
Posted by Van (+563) 14 years ago
Ya, tell the pig to go eff himself. The Constitution should still have some backbone.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+480) 14 years ago
I belong to a group who had a speaker about identity theft last month. She was a former police officer. She said that it is not uncommon for people who steal wallets to use the ID of the person who looks the most like them if they are pulled over.

In one of her cases, a woman who was going to church on Easter with her entire family was pulled over for a burned out brake light on the street right in front of the church. She was then arrested in front of her entire family (and many of the congregation) for outstanding felony warrants. It seemed she had been driving several different cars the last 2 years, had several speeding tickets, had run through a red light or two, and had nearly run down a pedestrian in a crosswalk right in front of an officer. She had also given different addresses each time she was pulled over (which made the police very upset with her for lying since they hadn't been able to track her down to arrest her sooner....) She had never acknowledged or paid the fines on any of these infractions.

According to her she had no idea they had ever happened, which did not impress the police in the least-they still hauled her off in handcuffs leaving her 4 children and her 80 year old Grandmother sitting in the church parking lot without a ride home.

After a lengthy, expensive court case, her pricey lawyer was able to prove that she had alibis for most of the times/dates where she had supposedly been speeding (she was not even close to the areas where this took place or knew any of the people who owned the cars she was supposedly racing around in). It turned out that someone who had stolen her wallet 2 years earlier was using her ID each time they were pulled over and had caused all of the problems for her. So she "only" had to spend a few days in jail and "only" was humiliated in front of her entire family and church and "only" had to pay $13,000 in court costs to clear her name.

I'll bet she wishes someone had been fingerprinted each time they were pulled over so they might be able to clear her name a little more quickly and easily, not to mention that they could have potentially tracked down the real culprit, who had stolen her wallet and made her life so miserable (and probably did the same thing to others).

In these days of Identity Theft, I am not so freaked out about safety measures such as this one.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1388) 14 years ago
I'm happy to assume the risk. I'm not happy to have to be fingerprinted without a miranda.