Re: St. Paul Hotel
founder
Posted by Bill Fernandez (+1) 20 years ago
Does anyone have information about the St. Paul Hotel in Miles City, MT? I believe it was located around Washington and 10th. Some relatives of my wife's, Edith Walters and her husband, Fred Zinner, ran the place in the 30s and 40s.
founder
Posted by H Lockie (+7) 20 years ago
The St. Paul Hotel is still in place on Washington & 9th St.
It still has sleeping rooms, but is not run as a Hotel anymore. I believe the telephone there is (406) 232-2848.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 20 years ago
Say, if you are really interested in the place, I would be willing to pop down there and take a few digital photos to email you. Who knows, maybe Larry (mr. milescity.com) would want to make these pictures into screen savers. Or not.

Bart
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
It's still there but last I heard, shut down. I assume the owners are planning demolition but I have no idea. The Parkview Hotel also closed down recently and rumor has it going away soon. Too bad but no one wants to put the money into these places that they need. The Flanze--which has been cheap apts for years--is the last of the old railroad hotels still occupied.

The St. Paul has some bits of interesting architecture by the back door. Like many railroad buildings, it was designed to be welcoming from the street side and the track side.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 20 years ago
If it's due to be demolished that would be all the more reason for Bart to snap a few photos of it. Before it's too late.

- Dave
founder
Well,I took a couple of shots this afternoon -- taking full advantage of the nice weather, while avoiding doing some school work I need to get done. I'll double check to make sure I got the right building as there is no longer anything on it that identifies it as the St. Paul. I also took some shots of an old Milligan Hotel sign and a M & O Cigar sign that were uncovered when a billboard came down off the side of a building at the corner of 5th and Main. If these shots seem to be of any interest, I'll probably post them for a while on either the Sacred Heart School site -- not sure how cigar smoking and school tie in, or more likely on my wife's business site Dancing Cow Studio. Or, the way I do things, I'll not get around to posting them until sometime around Christmas.
founder
Well, I put two pages of photos up with the link off of the Sacred Heart School site, since the free site for Dancing Cow no longer has FTP access for free -- hey, you get what you pay for. Anyway, take the Sacred Heart site and look for the last button entitled milescity.com which will link you to the St. Paul and old sign pages. Now, Larry, I lifted your banner and made a link to milescity.com without asking. Just say the word and I'll pull them if you want.

I tell you, rather than just sharing the photos, I wish I could have shared the great fall afternoon I enjoyed. Those of you no longer hanging around here would have loved it. It was beautiful, and, ahhhhh, very fallish.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
Hi Bart, No problem at all. Those are cool pictures. Can I post copies in the gallery? I'm thinking about adding a Historic Buildings section. So I hope it is okay if I add them. If not, then please let me know. Regards, Larry
founder
Post away.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
Thanks Bart!